Trailer Sway

/ Trailer Sway #41  
Yep, I guess the thousands of dump trucks that haul backhoes on heavy equipment trailers, using pintle hooks...they obviously don't know or respect their ratings. They should immediately convert to weight distributing hitches.

Guess the mobile home toters are irresponsible too.

/ Trailer Sway #42  
I'm sorry duffster, that was rude. What I meant to say was that anyone who cares to actually know and respect their ratings will find that most trucks will require a WDH to tow even a medium weight bumper pull trailer. This is the case with full sized trucks too, even my one ton Ford. Nobody should dismiss this fact unless you are aware of the requirement and accept the liability of violating it. This is no different than overloading your tires.

No worries

I wasn't implying that anyone should ignore their ratings, i just would find it more realistic to upgrade the receiver hitch than it would be to get a WDH

/ Trailer Sway #43  
Yep, I guess the thousands of dump trucks that haul backhoes on heavy equipment trailers, using pintle hooks...they obviously don't know or respect their ratings. They should immediately convert to weight distributing hitches.

Guess the mobile home toters are irresponsible too.

Ugh. Please note that the hitches on our light duty pickups have a little sticker on them that specifies the weights when a W/D hitch is required, this is a rating sticker. I don't tow with a dumptruck and neither does the OP of this thread so I can't comment on what their hitches are rated for. I have never seen a W/D hitch used on these medium or heavy duty trucks.

/ Trailer Sway
Not enough trailer. Kubota's website lists that tractor at 3,620 lbs. dry weight The front end loader on my TC-45 weights 900 lbs without the bucket, so we can assume somewhere in that ballpark. Let's assume 300 lbs for the FEL bucket and 300 lbs for the box blade. Grand total is 5120 lbs. Trailer capacity 7,000 lbs minus trailer weight 1,500 equals payload of 5,500 lbs. Only 380 lbs of margin. We haven't added fuel, chains and binders yet. Also factor in not enough room to move tractor fore or aft to balance the load.

I have been thinking the same thing, and actually have the trailer for sale on craigslist. I had a guy offer to trade a RV trailer that has been converted into a flatbed. Let me know what you guys think about that trade.
DSCN0154.jpg

/ Trailer Sway #45  
My hitch says 1000 lbs tongue weight, 10,000 lb trailer...either load carrying or WD. (You do realize you can buy different hitches, even some with heavier ratings?) I could even drag my welder out and weld a big honkin' plate on the back that'd hold a whole lot more. The sticker on the hitch is NOT a reflection of the vehicle's capabilities, it's the limitations of the itty bitty hitch.

My point is this: heavier trucks don't need WD hitches. My long wheelbase diesel, with 8800 lbs GVWR and stiff springs, does just fine towing a 6800 lb trailer without a WD hitch. It's already front-end heavy, a few pounds off the front end is not a bad thing!

A WD hitch limits the suspension of both the trailer and tow vehicle. Buy a tow vehicle rated for the load, and let the suspension work as designed.

PS: PLEASE resize that picture so the thread isn't half a mile wide!!

/ Trailer Sway
I appologize for posting that picture...I didn't know it was going to be so HUGE...:(