Trailer, towing, weight questions.

/ Trailer, towing, weight questions. #41  
Say there AxleHub: Ookla did not mention a backhoe in the initial post and it does not show in the pictures he posted on the first page. I see now that the GC1720 model means one with a backhoe. The tire loading and MMM do add to the 2670 lbs of shipping weight listed for it. So lets call it close to 3000 lbs for round numbers. I agree a little heavy for the 6 1/2 x 12 foot trailer with typical axle.

On the other hand your GC1715 should fit a 6 1/2 by 12 trailer nicely. Length is not an issue and width is fine if you get 6 1/2 ft wide rather than the 6ft. I had that width issue with my Kubotas having 60" decks and the 6" extra width makes all the difference. Tractor for Wade 2014 (4).JPG

Note also that Dexter makes both 5200 and 7000 lb rated single axles so one does not have to go to a tandem unless you want to. Mine with the 3500lb axle seems to be fine and not stressed a whole lot.

/ Trailer, towing, weight questions. #42  
Well here are some pics of some excavating i did today. The backhoe def is way stronger then the fel, or at least i think it is. Im pretty impressed so far, but i do wish my front fel was alot stronger. Not sure what that rock weighs but I would of loved for it too pic it up.

Ooklaa,

I also don't know how heavy that rock of yours was . . . But the chances of being able to lift it would have improved if you had either a rock bucket or a set of forks (not clamp-ons) or a rock grapple etc..

Why would those help? Because that rock you had is big by weight but also big by size . . So you can't get it "in the bucket". Any of the items I listed above would allow you to get the rock closer to the fel . . .which greatly improves leverage needs for fel lifting. You've got a great unit Ooklaa . . as you add a couple more implements to deal with your specific needs . . . things will get easier.

For me . . adding the quick attach and forks for my fel have expanded my gc1715 capabilities quite a bit. Now this year I hope to add either the mini grapple from the same manufacturer or their rock bucket/grapple bucket. That will allow me to greatly increase my wood/tree handling and rock and cleanup functions. I really never expected that I'd use the forks nearly as much as I already have. I especially found the forks beneficial because the bucket comes off fast and forks go on fast and the forks allow me to put the load tight and I can fasten items to the back of the forks for better lifting and better securing.

As an example that big rock of yours . . again I don't know its weight . . but I could get it on my forks and then stand it up and strap it to the back of the forks instead of lifting it flat and inefficiently. Maybe it would still be too heavy . . but at least I'd be able to be as efficient in attempting it as the machine can be.

/ Trailer, towing, weight questions.
The rock was actually wedged pretty good inside the bucket. You can see in the picture i got a lil tilt on it and a tiny bit of lift. The backhoe ripped that thing out of the ground tho. I had to be careful cause the tractor was getting pulled into the hole i made. The ground was a little soft so the anchors where just being dragged. Im thinking forks would make it worse cause now the weight is pushed out instead of closer to the pins. If the claws weigh less then The bucket then i assume you could pic it up but im guessing th weight difference would have to be 200 pounds plus.

What is the lift capacity of our fel again?

/ Trailer, towing, weight questions. #44  
The rock was actually wedged pretty good inside the bucket. You can see in the picture i got a lil tilt on it and a tiny bit of lift. The backhoe ripped that thing out of the ground tho. I had to be careful cause the tractor was getting pulled into the hole i made. The ground was a little soft so the anchors where just being dragged. Im thinking forks would make it worse cause now the weight is pushed out instead of closer to the pins. If the claws weigh less then The bucket then i assume you could pic it up but im guessing th weight difference would have to be 200 pounds plus.

What is the lift capacity of our fel again?

Ooklaa,

Your reasoning is good about forks vs bucket except for 1 thing. If the bucket is being used you have the rock flat and extending out forward. If regular forks are being used (not clamp ons) . . . the rock could be shift to being on edge and directly against the back of the forks. This would put the rock 'weight as close to the pins as possible. Also it provides a way to strap the rock on and in position and thevforks (mine) are about 40 pounds lighter than the bucket. That's not a significant difference but the positioning difference and load stability is the more impirtant isdues imo.

But my guess is even if you could lift it off the ground . . it was too much weight to move ssafely on anything but flat concrete.

How much can the massey gc1700s lift with the fel is a question of several answers :)

/ Trailer, towing, weight questions. #45  
Based on the picture of that rock you dug up, I don't think you can pick it up with that size tractor and FEL. Without trying to accurately estimate the weight -- just by eyeball -- I don't think that FEL will pick it up (you didn't actually say what happened when you tried, but I assume it would not.) If you had a good solid placement of that size rock in the bucket you will probably pick the back wheels up off the ground if the FEL has that much oomph and endanger yourself for tilting / turnover. That is exactly what happens with my Kubota in such cases. If you get that far, the front tires won't handle that load and will look flat if not BE flat at reasonable pressures. Even if you get past all of that somehow, you are certainly going no where with it. [all this being eyeball judgement of course.] Bottom line is "size matters" and your machine is too small for that task. Since you want to move it and that is the machine you have, why not improvise a sled strong enough to handle it and use the FEL or even the backhoe to nudge the rock up onto the sled. Then drag it where ever you need to.

Better yet: go borrow a bigger tractor and FEL from that neighbor you helped so many times who owes you one !

/ Trailer, towing, weight questions.
Jwr nobody i mean nobody owns a tractor around me. That is a great idea tho for making a sled and dragging the rock around and those big pieces firewood. The fel did lift up a tiny little bit and I got to move the rock up and around my property so i can dump out of the way.

Which leads my to ask some questions but im gonna start a new thread.