Trailer Troubles / Decisions

/ Trailer Troubles / Decisions #41  
Think about restraints. A loaded wagon on a trailer is going to want to move about a lot. You will need some pretty good chains and binders to hold it in place. Add the fact that the load will now be considerably higher up and therefore more tippy, and I think you are inviting disaster.

Add the dynamics of trailer speeds and the effective load on that wagon just went up. Assuming that it is designed for a 20km/hr max speed, stopping from 100km/h, or turning a corner at 100km/h would put 25x (5 squared) the design stresses on your wagon. Not saying it wouldn't work - but I won't be trying it.

With a wagon - at least all the weight would be on the wheels and axles. A trailer would be worse. I can see the tongue jack folding up on braking.

/ Trailer Troubles / Decisions #42  
Rob,

Glad it was of some use. In hopes of not hijacking this thread, I've appended my post to an applicable ongoing thread /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif :

Off Road Dump Trailers

/ Trailer Troubles / Decisions #44  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

I could load the dump wagon onto the flatbed when I needed to pick up dirt and stuff and have it loaded directly on the trailer. Then all I need to do is hook the wagon onto the tractor and role it off the flat bed.
)</font>

============
Why not simply drive the tractor onto the trailer and haul the Dirt/Sand away with the FEL?

/ Trailer Troubles / Decisions #45  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small"> )</font>

I know the big loader where I buy dirt and gravel can easily load it. )</font>
==========
<font color="#666666"> Why not see if you can get free dirt insteadof buying it.
Lots of peiple do that?
</font>

/ Trailer Troubles / Decisions #46  
<font color="blue"> Where I buy dirt and gravel can easily load it. </font> )</font>
================
<font color="red">How are you hauling this dirt and gravel Now?
</font> Here is a little trick I use to haul this stuff in my pick up with out having to shovel it off the truck to unload it.
Take 5 gallon buckets with you and fill them up on the truck.
When you get home with it lower the tail gate and drive the tractor up to it with the fel below the tailgate and tilt the 5 Gal.bucket so the contents spll into the FEL bucket.

This way you don't have to do any shoveling at all and you don't even have to lift or carry some of the buckets.

I've found this method to be much faster and far less backing breaking than shoveling it off.

/ Trailer Troubles / Decisions #47  
Here's a pic of my 20' gooseneck w/ 4" dovetail slightly overloaded. One thing to consider with a gooseneck you can get by with a shorter trailer by setting the FEL bucket up on the neck. I also have a 14' gooseneck dump and just bought some 90" aluminum ramps to load my tractor on this one. I'll try to post a pic of it later.

Kent

Attachments

• 709536-P7090072 (Small).JPG
    709536-P7090072 (Small).JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 283
   / Trailer Troubles / Decisions #48  
Slightly overloaded eh..... I am guessing 21000 lbs of equipment there on a 2000 lb trailer.

/ Trailer Troubles / Decisions #49  
not quite. dozer 8500#, skid steer 6500# 14000# gvwr on the trailer and it weighs about 5000#

/ Trailer Troubles / Decisions #50  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( not quite. dozer 8500#, skid steer 6500# 14000# gvwr on the trailer and it weighs about 5000# )</font>

Only 6000lbs and about 7000 over on the trucks GCWR, I would imagine you drive very carefully with this load.
I know what 22,000 feels like behind my 3500 and it ain't fun.