trailer without brakes - max weight

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #31  
I've pulled my previous RTV500 and my quad (not at the same time) on a 6x10 single axle Big Tex with a 1500 GMC. Never had a problem stopping...Just have to drive accordingly. Barely knew it was back there actually.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #32  
I use a single axle 7x14 to carry a gc1723 TLB and I installed brakes on it myself. well worth the cost.
sometimes I carry enough manure in it that springs are almost bottomed out, brakes help a lot there.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #33  
Trailer brakes are one of the most inexpensive insurance policies available.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #34  
It looks like 3000 GVW and above is where most companies install brakes on their trailers. I am thinking about a 6x14 single axle without brakes for ATV UTV etc transport. This would be below the 3000 lb threshold but how comfortable are you towing 2500 without brakes? is there a max weight without brakes you are ok with occasionally? thinking of a Gladiator or full size Ram tow vehicle. I could see a 20 or 40 mile trip for repairs with a total weight of 2500 or less. I could also see a 3 mile trip on my back road to moms house fully loaded once or twice in the next few years.
In Pennsylvania its any axle rated above 3500. Most companies offer upgrades at 3000lbs. But not required. You should be fine with a full size truck or the gladiator, but if you think you want a smaller tow vehicle*smaller suv or car opt for the upgraded brakes

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #35  
I prefer to have brakes on every trailer. I was driving home with my RTV x1140 on a 16' trailer that didn't have brakes working so I was making sure I kept lots of space in front of me. As I was crossing over the interstate on the 2 lane highway I was on, a person pulled out in front of me causing me to lock up the brakes on my truck which was a 2007 1500 Ram. I was able to bring the whole thing to a stop to keep from wrecking into the guy, but I was cutting it very close. The machine and trailer together probably weighed close to 3000 lbs. I've also had close encounters when pulling a 16' box trailer with brakes and running my brake controller pretty high. The difference was remarkable how much easier I was able to slow down a heavier trailer with brakes versus a lighter trailer with no brakes.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #36  
I put electric brakes on my 6x12 single axle enclosed trailer. I already had the controller in my 1/2 ton truck. Did not cost much for the brakes, just bolted right on to my axles. Much nicer to pull and easier on the truck when stopping.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #37  
The law in Michigan is that:
All trailers over 3,000 pounds must be equipped with brakes, while trailers weighing over 5,500 pounds must have brakes strong enough to control the trailer's movement, stop it and hold it.

I did order a two-axle float-on pontoon trailer with a ~4-5k# GVWR without brakes because it never gets towed more than ~5 miles from the boat ramp to the barn and if it did I'd be towing it with my 7500# truck. None of my boat trailers have brakes and I don't miss them at all. The only braked trailer I currently have is my 14k# GVWR equipment trailer and I'm definitely glad to have them on that when it's loaded up.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #38  
I'm trying to find a way to put brakes on my little 3000# dump trailer so that I can use it behind my Colorado. It only has 10" rims so it appears I will also need to upgrade to taller tires, which in turn would require me to put wheel wells into the dump bed.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #39  
It looks like 3000 GVW and above is where most companies install brakes on their trailers. I am thinking about a 6x14 single axle without brakes for ATV UTV etc transport. This would be below the 3000 lb threshold but how comfortable are you towing 2500 without brakes? is there a max weight without brakes you are ok with occasionally? thinking of a Gladiator or full size Ram tow vehicle. I could see a 20 or 40 mile trip for repairs with a total weight of 2500 or less. I could also see a 3 mile trip on my back road to moms house fully loaded once or twice in the next few years.
We haul a NH TC30 and a Kubota RTV900-about a ton each (hauled separately!). No problem--just take your time; don't drive like a bat out of hell; and, be care downhill.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #40  
Trailer brakes are independent of the tow rig, it doesn’t matter what the tow vehicle is in regards to brakes. Just this past week coming up the hill there was an accident involving a small enclosed single axle trailer. It broke loose from a large van and decided to go downhill hitting cars which brings up another point, a breakaway device to apply those brake should the trailer breakaway. As the man says 1500 lbs in California with a breakaway device.

This is not a matter of ”if you can”. It’s a matter of law and safety for you and others on the road.

Last edited: