trailer without brakes - max weight

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #51  
Missouri required brakes on one axle for 3000# -5000#. Over 5000, brakes on all axles. You are going to run terribly close and probably over sometimes. I would use brakes just to be safe. Best Wishes, Larry

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #52  
Brakes on all trailers, not the real light ones for mowers and such, But i would rather have it braked, The reason being i would rather have them and not need them, as to not have them and wish you had them. Not worth the risk for me.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #53  
Does anyone stomp the brakes when loaded to see what happens?

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #54  
Here in UK and I believe in Europe the rule is that a trailer with a GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) of 750kg or lower, is not required to have brakes. This is why I opted for a single axle on my 8 x 5. A twin axle would increase the trailer weight thus reducing the load capacity.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #55  
Poits to ponder on, If you ever load a little heavy on the rear of the trailer and you get into a fish tail situation you will wish you had brakes then, When it happens to me I put the trailer brakes on hard drive slow and then reposition the load. If you want to get scared let that happen to you one time.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #56  
Poits to ponder on, If you ever load a little heavy on the rear of the trailer and you get into a fish tail situation you will wish you had brakes then, When it happens to me I put the trailer brakes on hard drive slow and then reposition the load. If you want to get scared let that happen to you one time.
Even if loaded to the front of the trailer, if you are over loaded, you are overloaded. If you want to know then just slam the brakes at a stop sign. Or go down a highway on black ice.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #57  
I hauled 25+k # (plus the trailer) of bridge decking on a construction trailer with a Dodge 1t dually flatbed, all mount. It was a really stupid thing to do. At 30 MPH it started wagging. I hit the trailer brakes and I survived.

If you have a trailer brake you can fix handling problems. If not you're going for the ditch.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #58  

yep. most of us learn the hard way that you should err on the side of more front weight.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #59  
Ordered a Hillsboro 78x12 ATV/utility trailer. 2990 gvwr single axle. Not a concern with no brakes with 3000lb behind our trucks. If the tow vehicle weighed 3500 lb I would consider brakes more important.
Dealer told me if they rate it at 2990 they don’t need brakes. I have a 6x14 dual axle with dual brakes I haul my SCUT Massive Ferguson GC1705 on. Tractor, bucket and tiller weigh about 2500 lbs and the 1500 lbs for the trailer. I disconnected the brakes to see what a difference it makes and I will never do that again. Pushes my half ton 4 WD Chebby a long way down the road and not so much with the brakes connected. Skip the brakes if you like to gamble with your life and others. We all know accident never happen close to home.

/ trailer without brakes - max weight #60  
Trailer brakes are independent of the tow rig, it doesn’t matter what the tow vehicle is in regards to brakes. Just this past week coming up the hill there was an accident involving a small enclosed single axle trailer. It broke loose from a large van and decided to go downhill hitting cars which brings up another point, a breakaway device to apply those brake should the trailer breakaway. As the man says 1500 lbs in California with a breakaway device.

This is not a matter of ”if you can”. It’s a matter of law and safety for you and others on the road.
No, they aren't, and yes it does.