Trailering Advice Needed

/ Trailering Advice Needed #21  
To the OP - I imagine your Paso Fino are gaited. They are pretty to watch when they move, especially if they have the long flowing main. I particularly like the paints.

Our horses ride in a Sundowner 3H GN, so I have a little more leeway with tongue weight. My wife rides dressage. We are down to 2, a retired 27 y/o Holsteiner and a 10 y/o Oldenburg at 3rd level, both 17.2 hands. Lost our Grand Prix level schoolmaster recently to spinal stenosis at age 25, threw her head up while the vet was checking her teeth to see if they needed to be floated, she lost use of her hind quarters and went down.

Gooseneck is definitely better, with that big of horses. Over 17 hands is a long way to fall off of...

Dressage is something I know very little about. Trail riding and working cattle encompasses my horseback riding experience.

Sorry to hear you lost your horse, that way. It always sucks to lose an animal.

/ Trailering Advice Needed #22  
The tow rating of the pictured vehicle is 8300lbs.

I have no concern about that vehicle safety towing the weights you’re sharing, but I am curious how the truck is set up and what you think of it. Not for judging you on towing small horses, just in general.

/ Trailering Advice Needed
I have no concern about that vehicle safety towing the weights you’re sharing, but I am curious how the truck is set up and what you think of it. Not for judging you on towing small horses, just in general.

For a “luxury” suv, it does well. I have another thread where I am looking for a 3/4 ton Chevy/GMC with the 6.0 to use as our primary tow vehicle. I feel the Yukon has the power, needs a little more gear (has 3.08) and suspension is a little soft. We just pulled 1227 miles, half the trip loaded. Averaged 10mpg, trans temp ran 189-195. It did well overall. I like the grade braking in tow haul too. I installed a prodigy iq brake controller when we bought it too.

/ Trailering Advice Needed #24  
For a “luxury” suv, it does well. I have another thread where I am looking for a 3/4 ton Chevy/GMC with the 6.0 to use as our primary tow vehicle. I feel the Yukon has the power, needs a little more gear (has 3.08) and suspension is a little soft. We just pulled 1227 miles, half the trip loaded. Averaged 10mpg, trans temp ran 189-195. It did well overall. I like the grade braking in tow haul too. I installed a prodigy iq brake controller when we bought it too.

Does it have the 5.3L? My 2013 Silverado had the older 5.3L. Engine was fine. Not a powerhouse, but that rear 3.08’s was a huge drawback.

Does it have the 5.3L? My 2013 Silverado had the older 5.3L. Engine was fine. Not a powerhouse, but that rear 3.08’s was a huge drawback.

Yes it does have the 5.3.

/ Trailering Advice Needed #26  
Horses over the axles. Wheels are far enough back that they won't act as a pivot point and make the tongue weight too light.

/ Trailering Advice Needed #27  
Adding another consideration in as well. If your trailer has one of those tall triangle water tanks in the tack room and you are filling it up, that can contribute to a lot of extra tongue weight you don't really need. In my mind those are only really needed for camping trip and not general transport.
We regularly move 2 horses from Denver to Scottsdale at least twice a year, 900 miles each way and 14 hours on the road, and will use only a couple of gallons per horse for each trip. Enough to get the horses to wet their lips. They generally don't drink much when traveling.

You can also get an Airlift system to level the vehicle. I swear by them and their onboard wireless controller. It will get you leveled and your headlights won't be blinding oncoming traffic even when on low-beams. I don't see any issue with truck or hitch capacity for that trailer and your load. Sundowner makes a great trailer.

Adding another consideration in as well. If your trailer has one of those tall triangle water tanks in the tack room and you are filling it up, that can contribute to a lot of extra tongue weight you don't really need. In my mind those are only really needed for camping trip and not general transport.
We regularly move 2 horses from Denver to Scottsdale at least twice a year, 900 miles each way and 14 hours on the road, and will use only a couple of gallons per horse for each trip. Enough to get the horses to wet their lips. They generally don't drink much when traveling.

You can also get an Airlift system to level the vehicle. I swear by them and their onboard wireless controller. It will get you leveled and your headlights won't be blinding oncoming traffic even when on low-beams. I don't see any issue with truck or hitch capacity for that trailer and your load. Sundowner makes a great trailer.

No water tank. This pull is our longest, right 550 miles. We try to leave early. I use a 1gal pump sprayer filled with cold water and wet them down at fuel stops if they are hot. The trailer does have great airflow.

/ Trailering Advice Needed #29  
I have used a Chevrolet Suburban (2) to pull my horse trailers over 250,000 miles. The trailer alone (no horses ) puts a proper load on the tongue/hitch. I try to get the horse weight over the axles, without adding much weight to the hitch or lightening the load on the hitch (which can be very dangerous). I pull an old steel Delta 2 horse slant (2500 lb empty, small front tack room). My biggest challenge is finding tires that will hold up to high speed expressway trips when fully loaded. I race thoroughbreds ...1100 lb aprox.

I have used a Chevrolet Suburban (2) to pull my horse trailers over 250,000 miles. The trailer alone (no horses ) puts a proper load on the tongue/hitch. I try to get the horse weight over the axles, without adding much weight to the hitch or lightening the load on the hitch (which can be very dangerous). I pull an old steel Delta 2 horse slant (2500 lb empty, small front tack room). My biggest challenge is finding tires that will hold up to high speed expressway trips when fully loaded. I race thoroughbreds ...1100 lb aprox.

I have seen 3/4 ton Suburbans and Yukons. They would be ideal, but are few and far between and when I do find one, way out of my budget.