Treating diesel in north Texas winters

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #41  
I had to laugh, Texas winter! In the frozen tundra (WI), we see neg temps all of the time during the winter (over 100 days a couple years ago) and last year was the first time I actually decided to treat my fuel. Usually they change the blend at the pump depending on the time of the year and I would think they do the same in Texas if it's warranted.

Stay warm!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I thought the same thing. We moved to North Texas from SE Wisconsin 16 years ago. That part of Wisconsin was warmer than growing up in NE South Dakota. Even the "snowmageddon" last year was barely a blip compared to actual winter.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #42  
Well, the fuel I just bought is gelling worse at -4 than the fuel I bought in summer. I went and bought some #1 diesel to blend. The Bobcat dealer will get his fuel blended 50/50 when it gets cold.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #43  
I had to laugh, Texas winter! In the frozen tundra (WI), we see neg temps all of the time during the winter (over 100 days a couple years ago)

Stay warm!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I thought the same thing. We moved to North Texas from SE Wisconsin 16 years ago. That part of Wisconsin was warmer than growing up in NE South Dakota. Even the "snowmageddon" last year was barely a blip compared to actual winter.
I've never laughed at people for living around the Great Lakes but I can't resist chuckling when I notice how many would rather retire in Texas.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #44  
I don't blend. Reason being the loss of noticeable HP. #1 has a significant drop in Cetane. So I treat. And additionally, it's cheaper to treat. :)

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #45  
I don't blend. Reason being the loss of noticeable HP. #1 has a significant drop in Cetane. So I treat. And additionally, it's cheaper to treat. :)
Most definitely, which is why most winter diesel is just treated and not blended.
Until you get to a location with consistent sub zero temperatures, when the highs are below zero you had better be blending
and using additives.
I blend my fuel because depending on the weather a tank full could last a month with severe changes in that month, so the loss of HP can be tolerated. Right now I'm at about half a tank my next fill will be from the blended tank.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #46  
Ethanol in gasoline obsorb's water and alows it to burn with no ill effect. A certain amount of water can be a blessing in de-carbonizing combustion chamber. When ethanol reaches saturation point,farthar condensation become's free water that can't burn which result's in poor engine performance.
Actually, ethanol combines with water to a point, once it reaches that point you get what is known as "phase separation". It's not just the additional water that settles out. The ethanol-water mix that all settles to the bottom of the tank. The mixture is somewhat corrosive and it will not burn. In addition, the ethanol in the gas boosts the octane rating. For E10 gas (10% ethanol) it accounts for around 3 points of octane. So once phase separation occurseven if you avoid picking up the alcohol/water mix, the remaining fuel will be lower octane.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #47  
Richard & Lou,I think you're forgetting #1 has a lower BTU content,thus the power loss.
#1/Kerosene has a higher cetane number which makes it ignite easier.
Good Luck!

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #48  
Most definitely, which is why most winter diesel is just treated and not blended.
Until you get to a location with consistent sub zero temperatures, when the highs are below zero you had better be blending
and using additives.
I blend my fuel because depending on the weather a tank full could last a month with severe changes in that month, so the loss of HP can be tolerated. Right now I'm at about half a tank my next fill will be from the blended tank.
I used to blend. Didn't use my tractors enough in Winter to notice a difference.

Blended fuel in the Township Grader I run is very noticeable. When using the Plow or Wing it's common to be running at 70% of the machine's HP capability. Blended fuel dropped that "bar" considerably. I don't blend anymore.

If I lived in "North" country I'd blend and treat.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #49  
I just did a sample of 80/20 blend in the freezer with the treated fuel that was gelling and it is crystal clear. It is a huge improvement and I feel confident I can be gel-free this winter with fuel I have now. The #1 only cost me $3.45 a gal so it was a bargain over a $80+ fuel filter.

/ Treating diesel in north Texas winters #50  
I just did a sample of 80/20 blend in the freezer with the treated fuel that was gelling and it is crystal clear. It is a huge improvement and I feel confident I can be gel-free this winter with fuel I have now. The #1 only cost me $3.45 a gal so it was a bargain over a $80+ fuel filter.
I can treat #2 for 4.8 cents per gallon. Maintains the Cetane number desired. Eliminates the gel problem.

Either method used is preferred over gelled fuel. :)