Trick to keep quick connections locked together?

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #31  
OK enlighten me, I admin that my thinking the pressure relief valve would have protected valve body was wrong, BUT for the fact the relief path was probably through tank port which is blocked by closed (disconnected) QC....

The return side of the plumbing wasn’t designed to withstand the operating pressure. When you cap the return line that’s exactly what happens and bad things happen.

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together?
A little update, the main tractor hydraulics are fine, as the relief valve was still in the circuit when that hose is off. Damage is only to the backhoe valve block, the extent to which I am still waiting because the service guy at the dealer is out until Monday. One thing I did double check was the function of all the valves on the backhoe and discovered the only malfunction (other than the leak) is the main boom lever does not spring return when put to the lower position (it does for raise and slew left/right).

It is possible the spool sticks on the dislodged seal when in this position, so I’ll remain hopeful for now that damage is limited to the one area. Tough lesson to learn regarding the QC and how easy they release when not pressurized.

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #33  
These are secure AND easy to disconnect when there is hydraulic pressure like when an implement is removed and its male and female couplers are connected together and the temperature changes.

They are relatively inexpensive and appear to be very well made IMO.

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #34  
This is what we used to use on the farm.....

IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

All OEM were discarded and replaced with Metro couplers which could be easily screwed off or on under pressure by hand.

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #35  
   / Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #36  
Neat, never seen that style before. Is there any retention that prevents them from unscrewing?

When the full connection is made there is a bit of a "detent " which prevents it from unscrewing without effort.

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #37  
When the full connection is made there is a bit of a "detent " which prevents it from unscrewing without effort.
Gotcha, I'll have to look into them. I like my flat face, but having the ability to connect under residual pressure would be nice at times.

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #38  
Gotcha, I'll have to look into them. I like my flat face, but having the ability to connect under residual pressure would be nice at times.

We started using them in the 1960's. Don't even know if they're still available.

We always swapped them out when we sold or upgraded tractors and equipment.

Had a big plastic milk crate full of them in the parts room up until last year. Sold them to another farmer.

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #39  
I had that problem, both parts have to be of the same brand to clip securely

/ Trick to keep quick connections locked together? #40  
One of the hoses to the backhoe shifted while in use, the fitting was sitting on the PTO cover and the edge of the cover put enough pressure on the quick connect collar when it shifted that it popped open.
Assuming the dealer setup the tractor and installed the backhoe, I'd say this is his fault. If the hoses and fittings were dressed so they get hooked on the edge of the PTO cover and pop off, that's not your fault. In theory this failure could have happened to the dealer if he'd test driven the tractor with the backhoe on it.