Trimming around chain link fence.

/ Trimming around chain link fence. #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
Hi all,

Anyone ever found an easy way to trim around chain link fence? It chews up my trimmer line and I just hate doing it. I wanted to make the dog area bigger, but the thought of trimming it gives me pause.

Dave

/ Trimming around chain link fence. #3  
I sunk railroad ties, half posts and 4X4's around the perimeter of the dog run. Inside and out. Had some dogs that just would not stay put.

The benefit was - I was no longer hitting chain link, trimming the area up.

/ Trimming around chain link fence. #4  
Some people lay a concrete mow strip under where the fence will be. The required width would be determined by how close your mower can cut to the fence.

/ Trimming around chain link fence. #5  
Get a string head to hold larger strings. Something that holds .155 or larger. Do note its take more HP to spin these.

/ Trimming around chain link fence. #7  
   / Trimming around chain link fence. #8  
Hi all,

Anyone ever found an easy way to trim around chain link fence? It chews up my trimmer line and I just hate doing it. I wanted to make the dog area bigger, but the thought of trimming it gives me pause.

Dave
Don't trim it. Spray it.

/ Trimming around chain link fence. #9  
Project Farm (YouTube) did a video comparing trimmer strings. Round string did much better against hard surfaces than string with edges.

I haven't tried round string yet, as I have a lot of edged string to use up. I might just buy a small roll to see if it is better with chain link.

/ Trimming around chain link fence. #10  
Spray it.
This is my process for the posts of several thousand feet of pvc horse fencing. I did not want to damage the pvc posts with the trimmer line. Spraying once or maybe twice a season works extremely well.