troubleshooting my MF 35

/ troubleshooting my MF 35 #1  
Tractor
MF 35
Hey,

I've got a '64 perkins.

A couple of days ago I was doing some field work and the tractor was running strong then just shut off. Tried to start but nothing, first thing I thought was that it was a fuel issue. So, today I replaced the fuel filters, cleaned the sediment bowl and bled the system to the best of my knowledge based on everything I've read.

Still wouldn't start, so just out of curiosity I gave it a snort of ether, and it fired right up.

Back out to the field, it ran strong for 20 minutes, then shut off again. This time I just cranked it for about 20 seconds, and it fired up. This happened 2 more times then I called it quits. Same thing, about 20 minutes of running, then after shutting off, it needed about 15 - 20 seconds, or more of cranking then it fired up.

What would you guys check next? Also, I've just realized the air intake/oil bath area could use some attention. Could this be part of the problem?

Thanks!!

/ troubleshooting my MF 35 #2  
Had a Massey 65 for many years- Perkins diesel. Had one time I forgot to open the fuel valve at the tank so got several minutes of running before it died. Sounds like yours is starving for fuel. Given what you've done yet have continuing issue maybe there is sediment by pick-up/outlet of tank? Back flush? Or perhaps could be sucking air somewhere and so starved for fuel. Hopefully not your injector pump. Either way, it sounds like a fuel issue for sure. Good luck.

/ troubleshooting my MF 35 #3  
deffinately sounds like fuel

I'd let fuel run into a bucket for 10m and see if it is a stoppage from the tank.

/ troubleshooting my MF 35

I'd let fuel run into a bucket for 10m and see if it is a stoppage from the tank.

I think I'll try that next, so at least I can rule out crud in the tank. I need to get this think back in the field, I'm a market gardner and I need my tractor! Thanks.

Oh and just read this here (http://www.gptractorparts.co.za/massey_ferguson_trouble_shooting_guide.html):

"We receive many calls from clients complaining that the tractor cuts out and after bleeding the diesel system it runs for about a half hour before cutting out again. To resolve this problem remove the fuel tap under the fuel tank and clean the sieve attached to the tap. However the fuel tank is by this stage in need of a good clean by a qualified workshop and cleaning the sieve will only be a temprorary solution."

Will I need to go through the bleeding process if I just disconnect from tank?

/ troubleshooting my MF 35 #6  
probably no need to bleed if just disconnecting tank.

/ troubleshooting my MF 35 #7  
Has anything changed that would prevent air from entering the tank as the fuel is used, like a new or different fuel cap?

I don't know how or where that tank is vented. Next time it dies, loosen the cap and listen for air going in. The vent might be plugged.

Hmm, I don't know how the tank is supposed to be vented, but I have not changed anything in regards to the fuel tank.

I'm still wondering if a non functioning air filtration system would affect performance. I need to dump and clean out the old oil and bring it up to the correct level.

Has anything changed that would prevent air from entering the tank as the fuel is used, like a new or different fuel cap?

I don't know how or where that tank is vented. Next time it dies, loosen the cap and listen for air going in. The vent might be plugged.

/ troubleshooting my MF 35 #9  
Hmm, I don't know how the tank is supposed to be vented, but I have not changed anything in regards to the fuel tank.

I'm still wondering if a non functioning air filtration system would affect performance. I need to dump and clean out the old oil and bring it up to the correct level.
A non functioning air filter isn't good news on any engine. That should be corrected ASAP. Sounds to me your losing fuel prime either due to a faulty fuel pump or blocked microscreen filters. Here's a picture from agcopartsbook.com from the Fuel tank Fuel pump page for the MF35 diesel. Have you shined a light down in the tank to see if the tank is contaminated. Draining the tank for 10 minutes is not the same as actually using the tractor jossling the fuel around. Here's a picture of the primer and sediment filters from www.agcopartsbook.com for a MF35 Perkins.

View attachment 315311

Thanks for the reply. I took apart that glass bowl and cleaned it, it actually wasn't that dirty. Did shine a light into tank but couldn't see as far as the outlet, since the fill cap is on the opposite end of the tank. I'm really trying to get this fixed quickly!! I need to check anywhere else there is a screen or filter.

When I was bleeding the system I took out the two bleed screws on the pump and when I cranked the engine fuel was spurting out quite far, so hopefully this means the pump is functioning.

Also, I pumped on the priming lever, and it did seem to push the fuel through the system, what's not clear from that that diagram is where any micro screen filters might be?

A non functioning air filter isn't good news on any engine. That should be corrected ASAP. Sounds to me your losing fuel prime either due to a faulty fuel pump or blocked microscreen filters. Here's a picture from agcopartsbook.com from the Fuel tank Fuel pump page for the MF35 diesel. Have you shined a light down in the tank to see if the tank is contaminated. Draining the tank for 10 minutes is not the same as actually using the tractor jossling the fuel around. Here's a picture of the primer and sediment filters from www.agcopartsbook.com for a MF35 Perkins.

View attachment 315311