"Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment)

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment) #21  
Not intending to pull logs or trees, just cut 22 inch sections to split.
I think we are getting away from what the OP is looking for. I think he just wants a better way to get the cut logs on the splitter.

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment) #22  
Just saw a coupon on Harbor Freight website for 2500 lb atv winch for only $59.99. If you can determine how to utilize a small winch to help with the rounds this is one to check out.

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment) #23  
Just saw a coupon on Harbor Freight website for 2500 lb atv winch for only $59.99. If you can determine how to utilize a small winch to help with the rounds this is one to check out.
And there is additional cost of battery and charger (if you don't have one) .... And ritual of keeping battery charged...

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment) #24  
The OP has a Kubota B21 that should have sufficient 12 volt power to run an atv or utility winch. The biggest challenge is how to mount and utilize the winch to best serve the intended purpose.

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment) #25  
The OP shows a Kubota B21 in his profile, this should work to power a 12v utility winch. The challenge is how to mount and utilize a winch to best serve the intended purpose. And it seems we are still not sure of the intended purpose. My understanding is that he has a smaller 20 ton splitter that he operates vertically. Therefore he does not have to lift the rounds only has to properly position them under the wedge on the small platform on the end of the vertical beam. I think he is looking for mechanical methods to move the rounds a few feet to the back of the splitter and into position on the small platform. My 20 year old nephew does that for me and all I do is operate the splitter while I sit on a larger unsplit round. When my nephew is not available, I have to bend over and roll the rounds to the splitter then manhandle them into the correct position for splitting. It would be great to have an easier or mechanical way to move and position the rounds.

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment) #26  
Lots of comments on using a winch, but have you thought about how long it would take to split wood using a winch to load the splitter one log at a time? I'd be surprised if you could split a 1/4 cord a day; hardly enough for anyone who uses wood for anything more than a romance fire.

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment) #27  
If by chance he wants to use the tractor power (battery) to run electric winch, then his tractor is tied up to winch, he loses the ability to use tractor to move rounds unless he is constantly connecting/disconnecting winch from tractor.... And yes I have give serious thoughts to how to move rounds.... Still comes back to using tractor with my brush forks with splitter in vertical or horizontal modes...

P1020121.JPG
P1020122.JPG

Last edited:
   / "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment) #28  
How about a boom pole with a set of log tongs ?

/ "Troy Bilt" 27 ton log splitter, add winch? (Not 20 ton. Helps to know your own equipment) #29  
Not intending to pull logs or trees, just cut 22 inch sections to split. But I see how it could be an issue with really wide/heavy pieces.
Do you have a grapple? That's how I mount big stuff on my splitter.
Could do it with a wire sling from the bucket.