Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #41  
The boat is way wider than the dualls on the truck.

Trailers brakes are brakes and are essential for many that don't fold up in a corner of the barn, Some are surge/juice, some electric.

How the lakes are in Nevada anymore that boat could have been on it's way to the auction block.

Anchor size? A good storm rode is 7x the depth and has plenty of chain at the anchor end. Great Lakes or ocean, yes, but don't need all that for 'reservoir' fit-outs where shallow anchorages are typically a lot easier to find than coastal gunk holes. (I do miss overnighting on Lake Huron in my 20' cuddy, one can drink the night before and fish when you get up)

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #42  
Another article said it was a 44 ft boat. Just for an example, a 44ft Contender FA is over 22,000 pounds with engines. Add 3,000 pounds of fuel and a 4,000 pound trailer and you’re at 29,000 pounds. Add in 8,000 pounds for the f350 and you’re at 37,000 pounds. Maybe that’s where they got the number from and they just got the specifics of it wrong.

Yet another article quoted the officer as saying the trailered boat was 8,000 pounds over what the f350 was rated for which would make the 29,000 pound total spot on. Sounds like they just got some wires crossed as the story was getting passed along. Regardless, he was still hauling 4 tons more than the truck was rated for, and that’s with brakes that actually work.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #43  
   / Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #44  
I saw a close up of it and I estimate its beam to be no more than 8'. 9 feet tops.
Screenshot from 2021-11-29 14-30-35.png

Care to revise that estimate?
To my eye, it looks like it's about two feet wider than the trailer on each side, which gives about a 11' beam.

Wherever 37k came from, considering the state patrol said it's overweight, I'm thinking... it was probably overweight, one way or another.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #45  
Here's a Nor-Tech 420 (42 feet) Monte Carlo with 3,100 HP. They make them not far from me. I used to hang with some of the guys that made them. Couple of immigrants from Scandinavia.

Speed toward a getaway​

Twin Mercury inboard engines — with a max of 1,550 horsepower per side — will power your weekend getaway. Pack your luggage, grab your guests and head out to see the sunset at record speeds. You’ll be stable and comfortable, with maybe some wind in your hair (but there’s also full wind protection from the stunning wraparound windshiel

View attachment 722858

Weight with engine assemblies included, 12,500 lbs.

And yeah, it matters. With that kind of power, that boat better be put together. When you're doing 120 MPH the water is like concrete. And that boat will do it. Without eveen breaking a sweat

So if that little POS that poor, dumb rigger was pulling weighed 37k, then my boat is the Titanic.

Marinas routinely send boat riggers to do some boat-moving.

How big do you think the boat in question is? It’s a pretty big boat and clearly more than the F-350 can stop.
IMG_0837.JPG

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #46  
So if that little POS that poor, dumb rigger was pulling weighed 37k, then my boat is the Titanic.
I am going to take a wild guess that the 37,000# is the gross weight of the pickup, boat and trailer and the 21,000# towing weight in the article is the gross combined vehicle weight rating for that particular pickup. The trailer had poor or inoperative brakes and the intersection is at the bottom of a long grade. What I don't understand is why he didn't run it off the road into all that open desert instead of barreling through a busy intersection.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #48  
Whatever a load weighs we're hauling the weight of the trailer too. An aluminum frame on it won't make the wheels, axles, & springs any lighter. So how light are the five axle sets we've seen if they haven't been included in our guesses?

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #49  
How big do you think the boat in question is? It’s a pretty big boat and clearly more than the F-350 can stop. View attachment 722868

I'd estimate the boat to be around 35' tops. As to weight? Chopper-gun-made boats are typically heavier than hand layed woven rovin' because it has to go on thicker due to its inferior strength. If that boat is a chopper gun made. Don't know.

So, to be generous to others that think it's the Andrea Doria, I'll estimate its weight at -- 22k. tops ......No more.

OTOH, I could be wrong.

But I doubt it.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #50  
What I don't understand is why he didn't run it off the road into all that open desert instead of barreling through a busy intersection.
Because the only hide he cared about was his own.