True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple?

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #61  
Mcmaster has them. I think it is "B"?
McMaster-Carr

Yep, that's the one. Thanks. $19 plus shipping isn't too bad, for a waterproof switch.

I got a used handlebar switch off an ATV (free) to get this thing going.

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #62  
I did a diverter setup on my L45 on the curl function. If anyone is considering a diverter make 100% sure the function you plan to divert does NOT have regen. I need to replumb my setup to the lift function as my loader valve is always regen on dump and it makes the diverter virtually useless.

ac

Sounds like you have your 3rd function plumbed backwards. The extend/retract phasing needs to match on both sides of the circuit. If your curl is diverted to clamp on your 3rd function, you'll have the problem you describe. Switch hoses on the diverter circuit.

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #63  
Sounds like you have your 3rd function plumbed backwards. The extend/retract phasing needs to match on both sides of the circuit. If your curl is diverted to clamp on your 3rd function, you'll have the problem you describe. Switch hoses on the diverter circuit.
I originally avoided plumbing into the dump/curl circuit to avoid the regen issue and plumbed into the lift circuit instead.

Having said that, I have had it plumbed both ways on the lift circuit (in-phase and out-of-phase) and noticed no issues either way.

It was originally out-of-phase and I changed it to in-phase simply to make the action (extend and retract) match ... figured that would make it easier to remember.

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #64  
Regen shouldn't be an issue in-phase because the cylinder will behave normally. The only time the ports are matched to pressure with regen is extending the cylinder. It won't work on retract because the high pressure on the piston side (non-rod end) will overtake the rod sides lower force.

I would never have my 3rd on the boom, only on the curl. Just my opinion.

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #65  
Regen shouldn't be an issue in-phase because the cylinder will behave normally. The only time the ports are matched to pressure with regen is extending the cylinder. It won't work on retract because the high pressure on the piston side (non-rod end) will overtake the rod sides lower force.

+1

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #66  

There's a long thread of my saga somewhere on this forum.

Bottom line: when you have a circuit with regen you can only plumb 1 way. Regen MUST extend the cylinder. If you try to use a regen circuit to retract a cylinder you wind up with no motion. Simple as that.

My setup is plumbed the only way it will "work" and it only works with DA cylinders. Honestly, the setup sucks. The fact that the control is "backwards" is the least of my issues in operation. I have very little clamping power because I'm relying on regen to close the grapple.

As I stated in the other thread and previously in this one, if the dump circuit has regen only a diverter is NOT the way to go.

I'm going to swap my lines to the lift circuit to get away from the regen. It MUST be better than what I'm dealing with now.

ac

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #67  

The cylinder certainly does NOT behave "normally". It operates slowly at a significantly reduced overall force!

ac

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #68  
There's a long thread of my saga somewhere on this forum.

Bottom line: when you have a circuit with regen you can only plumb 1 way. Regen MUST extend the cylinder. If you try to use a regen circuit to retract a cylinder you wind up with no motion. Simple as that.

My setup is plumbed the only way it will "work" and it only works with DA cylinders. Honestly, the setup sucks. The fact that the control is "backwards" is the least of my issues in operation. I have very little clamping power because I'm relying on regen to close the grapple.

As I stated in the other thread and previously in this one, if the dump circuit has regen only a diverter is NOT the way to go.

I'm going to swap my lines to the lift circuit to get away from the regen. It MUST be better than what I'm dealing with now.

ac

A very good definition. Been there done that. I went to a true 3rd function. Much MUCH better. And...once I understood where the power beyond was....plumbing in the 3rd function wasn't any more trouble than plumbing the diverter.

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #69  
I originally avoided plumbing into the dump/curl circuit to avoid the regen issue and plumbed into the lift circuit instead.

Having said that, I have had it plumbed both ways on the lift circuit (in-phase and out-of-phase) and noticed no issues either way.

It was originally out-of-phase and I changed it to in-phase simply to make the action (extend and retract) match ... figured that would make it easier to remember.

How do you like it on the lift? What setup is more natural? Forward to close grapple?

ac

/ True 3rd function or diverter valve for grapple? #70  
The cylinder certainly does NOT behave "normally". It operates slowly at a significantly reduced overall force!

ac

Regen works faster than direct flow.