True Story

/ True Story #1  

Flatheadyoungin

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45 Shuttle
Grandpa loves to tell this one all the time....

Some folks that owned a farm out by grandpa back in the 40's or 50's had a boy that bought a new Farmall A. He hooked it up to his dad's drop plows and tried to plow. Well, the little A just jumped up and down. He got off of the tractor and said, "Dad, those plows are just too big." And the dad replied, "No, Alvie, your tractors just too small....."

Grandpa said there was a large crowd there and they all laughed. I guess it was a pretty big deal when someone got a new tractor, a lot of the town came over to see it. Grandpa's voice impression helps the punch line because the dad talked real sloooow......

/ True Story #2  
Back in the 70s, my Dad was entertaining a buying syndicate, in from out-of-state to look at some of our better registered Holsteins. One man said to Dad "I think I've seen your boy around, isn't he left-handed?". To which Dad replied, "I don't know, I never see him do anything". At the time, a couple of my cows were getting wide-spread attention and I was getting a swelled head. That was 33 years ago. Whenever I'm feeling a little overconfident, that little comment still brings me back down to earth.

/ True Story #3  
Of course my old granddad never owned a tractor. He farmed with horses and mules. But once when discussing cars, he said he'd never buy one of those smaller compact cars because he didn't believe they'd last as long as the bigger ones. I disagreed and he said he could pull a wagon with a Shetland pony, but before long that pony would give out where his draft horses would keep going, and he figured the same would be true of small cars.:D

/ True Story #4  
My granddad farmed over 200 acres with nothing more than a farmall A and farmall H... lived to be 101 years old!

mark

/ True Story #5  
Grandpa didnt live in an air conditioned house, eat genetically altered food and have all his work done by hydraulics (or internet) either. Got to be something said for hard work and sweat in the life cycle. If our ancestors got by without dying from plagues or accidents from equipment that had no safety features, many lived into their 90s easily. Now we are all lucky to make it through our 70s even with all the improved medicines and HEALTH foods and lots of designs for safer living.

/ True Story #6  
Reminds me of the old joke of the young bull and the old bull. The young bull was all for running down to the cow herd and get him a date. The old bull said that we should saunter down and have them ALL for dates!

Sometimes the opening of the mouth is the only differnce between a fool and a quietly reserved gentleman.

/ True Story #7  
Well, now that you go and bring in the young vs. old with bulls, I can't resist sharing the story of the young and the old rooster...

The new young rooster comes up to the old rooster and says, "Pack your bags, grandpa! Farmer Joe just bought me to service the flock and you can hit the road." The old rooster wasn't going to go down easy and says, "These are my hens and you can only have them if you can beat me in a race. We'll go two laps around the outside of the coop." The young rooster knows he can win, and agrees; but the old rooster explains that they have to wait until Farmer Joe is watching so he can see who is the better rooster.

As the older rooster hears the house door open he takes off running. He gets halfway around the coop before the young rooster realizes that Farmer Joe is coming out of the house. The young rooster catches up to the older rooster just as they are coming around the front of the coop. There is a loud BANG and a cloud of feathers after which Farmer Joe is heard to say, "Dangit, Mamma! That's the third gay rooster I've bought in a week."

Moral of the story... Age and experience are often far superior to youth and ambition.

/ True Story
:D:D:D

Well, now that you go and bring in the young vs. old with bulls, I can't resist sharing the story of the young and the old rooster...

The new young rooster comes up to the old rooster and says, "Pack your bags, grandpa! Farmer Joe just bought me to service the flock and you can hit the road." The old rooster wasn't going to go down easy and says, "These are my hens and you can only have them if you can beat me in a race. We'll go two laps around the outside of the coop." The young rooster knows he can win, and agrees; but the old rooster explains that they have to wait until Farmer Joe is watching so he can see who is the better rooster.

As the older rooster hears the house door open he takes off running. He gets halfway around the coop before the young rooster realizes that Farmer Joe is coming out of the house. The young rooster catches up to the older rooster just as they are coming around the front of the coop. There is a loud BANG and a cloud of feathers after which Farmer Joe is heard to say, "Dangit, Mamma! That's the third gay rooster I've bought in a week."

Moral of the story... Age and experience are often far superior to youth and ambition.

/ True Story #9  
"We once had a rooster that was SO lazy..."
"HOW LAZY WAS HE?!"
"He was so lazy that he wouldn't even crow. He'd wait for one of the otherns to crow and then just nod his head...":D

Bird: Some of us are still playing with drafts...

/ True Story #10  
Flatheadyoungin and Mark make me feel old.

In the late 40's and early 50's I helped my dad farm 300 acres with a Farmall A, C, and H. Implements included a pto post hole digger with the auger on the end of a shortened axle on an old car rear-end, and a fertilizer spreader with the slinger on the pinion shaft, so that it turned when you pulled it. The most memorable was dynamiting newly discovered stumps from the mule-cleared land we row cropped. He let me hold the box of blasting caps and made me sit in the end of the wagon furthest from the dynamite......maybe I wasn't his favorite after all.