Rotary Cutter Trying to decide on brush cutter.

/ Trying to decide on brush cutter. #1  

J.Wal

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L3130
I am comparing the Bad Boy 5’ cutter the Everything Attachment 5” cutter for my 04 L3130 shuttle shift. ( 31HP, 25HP at the PTO)

I will be using it in wooded areas and will need as heavy duty as I can get for a 5’. Both are very similar. The bad boy comes with a higher Hp gear box ( 50 vs 45) and a slip clutch PTO shaft. Seems the Bad Boy has some extra thickness around the gear box and a little more sturdy built through the design.

I believe I can get either around the same price as the other. I have a Bad Boy dealer that said about $1,350. The Everything Attachment one is $1,300 and I am within the free shipping area.

Just looking for any feedback on the Bad Boy brand cutter. I love the color scheme on the Bad Boy. That has nothing to do with cutting, and not a selling point... but a nice perk of it.

Anyone happen to have a Bad Boy cutter? Thoughts on the two?

/ Trying to decide on brush cutter. #2  
I am comparing the Bad Boy 5 cutter the Everything Attachment 5 cutter for my 04 L3130 shuttle shift. ( 31HP, 25HP at the PTO)

I will be using it in wooded areas and will need as heavy duty as I can get for a 5? Both are very similar. The bad boy comes with a higher Hp gear box ( 50 vs 45) and a slip clutch PTO shaft. Seems the Bad Boy has some extra thickness around the gear box and a little more sturdy built through the design.

No experience with either one, but a few comments on those differences:
-the gearbox HP probably doesn't matter for your tractor
-a slip clutch PTO shaft is, for rough mowing, very nice to have and would be a huge selling point over what I assume is shear bolt on the EA. Be aware that the slip clutch will require minor maintenance (loosen, rotate, tighten) one or two times a year to keep it functional.
-extra sturdiness is very worthwhile on a RC

That said, I bought a EA post hole digger two months ago and was very pleased with the quality when it arrived. No bad surprises and I feel I got a good value.

/ Trying to decide on brush cutter.
I have looked up the slip clutch maintenance and it won’t be too hard to maintain. I do need the best for catching objects and stuff like that, so that’s a huge plus! Thanks for the feedback!

Bad Boy on top, E.A. On bottom

361C7154-FD9A-4625-96D5-6838FACB4E20.jpg

/ Trying to decide on brush cutter. #5  
The picture is very helpful!

I think the EA actually has a much better deck design. Three-sided tubing vs. just simple strips/plates. The EA design will be stronger and stiffer due to the more effective reinforcement. The Bad Boy design will probably collect all the grass clippings, weed heads etc. You can either brush them off daily or they will rot in place and eventually cause rust. The EA design will still need a broom but be easier to get clean.

The EA also has a clevis style draft link attachment, which is much stronger than the one-sided pins on the Bad Boy.

However, you will probably want the slip clutch and front/rear shields, and that would add $300 to the EA:
60 Inch XTreme Duty Rotary Brush Cutter

You should also look at the Kodiak brand, which is sold by AgriSupply and others. Both standard duty and medium duty models:

5' Mower With 4 HP Gearbox | Kodiak 47675

Kodiak MD6, Rotary Cutter, Lift Type Rotary Cutter | Kodiak 8263

No Kodiak dealers near me (Memphis TN)

I plan to clean both top and under side after each use to prevent rust and buildup like that.

Good points on the construction of the units.

/ Trying to decide on brush cutter. #7  
No Kodiak dealers near me (Memphis TN)

ASC ships a lot of implements and for the short distance from NC to Memphis it might not be too expensive. I'd suggest calling to find out. You could also drive to an ASC and back in a day.

/ Trying to decide on brush cutter. #8  
I have a Bush-Hog branded 5ft.cutter that has been used on three different tractors and has about 1,000 hours(shear pin) that has been great.Replaced the blades one time.

/ Trying to decide on brush cutter. #9  
I prefer a solid tube mount for the rear wheel when backing into brush or under trees. The strap A frames can bend if you bash the mower into a solid object. I try not to do that but sometimes mistakes are made. The other thing I look for is a floating link with a lot of travel. Both the Bad boy and EA have a short travel link. I mow on uneven terrain and sometimes back the mower up on parts steeper than I can drive.

I ended up with a Kodiak. I'd have gotten it from ASC but the expensive shipping to California made it cost close to what my dealer was asking for a Mahindra branded Kodiak and it was easier to get it with the tractor. So far it's been good, though I hit a big rock that put a dent on the skirt from the inside and made one blade hang up on the other but it was easy to pull it free.

/ Trying to decide on brush cutter. #10  
x2 on a good floating top link. And a chain skirt is a must-have if really going through rough stuff: wish that my Landpride 1860 had one; my Bush Hog BH46 does.

I had a very light duty Rankin 5' RC and that thing held up surprisingly well. I think that you really have to beat these things to cause any damage to them. If you're going to be busting rocks then make sure you get as thick of decking as you can find: it's the deck that's most likely to give way first (holes punched through it, rusting out).