Rotary Cutter Trying to decide on brush cutter.

/ Trying to decide on brush cutter. #22  
I have a few concerns on that BSM. Besides looking like some 10-cent carnival ride, that tire is always applying down force on what should be radial load bearings. And unless it's a premium tire, it would rot away in no time in the South Texas sun. What happens if a 2" piece of log get shoved up between the plater and tire. Seems like something will give in a not so pleasant outcome.

/ Trying to decide on brush cutter. #23  
I have a few concerns on that BSM. Besides looking like some 10-cent carnival ride, that tire is always applying down force on what should be radial load bearings. And unless it's a premium tire, it would rot away in no time in the South Texas sun. What happens if a 2" piece of log get shoved up between the plater and tire. Seems like something will give in a not so pleasant outcome.

Yeah, it's amazing how brush can manage to spear things!. Imagine something jamming in there and then flailing about! (or, just winding up material- I've got lots of blackberries and the canes can be VERY long and wrap up in everything- with a standard rotary cutter I only have occasional issues with wrapping stuff up in the PTO shafts, though with proper guards and such that should be a very infrequent issue)

/ Trying to decide on brush cutter. #25  
Wonder how long it would take to snap one of those support cables?

Seems like just more stuff to get caught up and to trip over.

Seems a solution in search of a problem. I really do appreciate folks who can fabricate things (I suck), but my pockets aren't deep enough to help starving artists...

/ Trying to decide on brush cutter. #26  
I had a BadBoy 5 fter and really like it, it is very heavy duty, just wished they had come out with the new version before I purchased mine, lots of improvements in designs. It is a tank of a machine. I have mowed just about everything with it including 2-3 inch saplings with no problem

/ Trying to decide on brush cutter.
I had a BadBoy 5 fter and really like it, it is very heavy duty, just wished they had come out with the new version before I purchased mine, lots of improvements in designs. It is a tank of a machine. I have mowed just about everything with it including 2-3 inch saplings with no problem

Thanks for the feedback!!!

/ Trying to decide on brush cutter. #28  
I will be using it in wooded areas and will need as heavy duty as I can get for a 5’. Both are very similar.

My concern would be that those are both very light duty cutters, and if you are using this on decent saplings in a wooded area, then it's only a matter of time before you damage the cutter. I recommend something in more medium duty class for this type of cutting. The Brown 415 (formerly 425) or Bush Hog 285 come to mind. Landprides "2" series, I think it's the 2660 now, is also a good cutter. There are others as well but these are the ones I'm familiar with.

Unless you are just mowing grass and weeds in a "wooded area" I think you would be unhappy with how easy it is to bend and damage the light duty models you are looking at.

/ Trying to decide on brush cutter. #29  
Agree. I wouldn't consider either a heavy duty cutter.

Keep eyes on Craigslist and other used market sources. A heavy duty used cutter will Outlast a new light one for what you want.

Bushhog 305....older model but another good one

/ Trying to decide on brush cutter.
This just came up on local site: good price. Any feedback on it for my L3130? Will my tractor have any issues with it? 6’ ( may be 66” not sure yet)

IMG_0785.JPG