Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #21  
Some 60% dynamite and a pry bar was a quick and effective solution before ...

A friend learned he needed a couple more units for his degree and any elective would do. He chose the Stumpblasting course!
One of these days, Bang, Zoom, Straight to the Moon!

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #22  
I've had plenty of exposure to dealing with stumps. Burning has not been one that has gone well. I mainly dig them up and bury them.
P1100225.JPG

That started out as a THREE tree clump (the trees had been cut by someone else; likely years previously): small, medium and LARGE. I got all but the LARGE stump pulled using my B7800 and truck. LOTS of manual work: digging by hand; using a splitting maul and a hydraulic jack to split the medium and large stumps apart. I finished it off with a rented excavator (small). Oh yeah, I managed to drop my B7800 next to the stump, wedged and had to get my truck to pull the B7800 out! (lessons that taught me the value of renting excavators to dig with, renting bigger ones at that!)

I've done MUCH bigger stuff, but only using a larger excavator: NOT going to post those pictures!

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling
Yes, I fully understand that I have brought a knife to a gun fight. Yes, the real reason I have given up is that I don't want to break my Bobcat toy. It has been too good to me. So, potassium nitrate and chimney stove concept it is.

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #25  
I screwed up and did not tell the tree guy to leave me a 4 foot stump. He cut it low. So, here I am. This thing grew on a rock ledge. I have trenched around it, but I can't get it to budge. Any suggestions? Burn it? View attachment 697306
Could you cut it below grade at this point? Or rip it down into sections you can try to pull of with your excavator? Might not get all of it, but I'd you get enough of it to bury the rest...

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #26  
Good luck. Take pictures. (y)

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #27  
four choices
Stump grinder
Burn it
Pool Acid, in drilled holes
ripper tooth on a Bobcat E80 excavator

I only have a photo of the Bobcat 331 ripper tooth.

Attachments

• Bobcat 331 ripper tooth.jpg
    Bobcat 331 ripper tooth.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 175
   / Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #28  
42" breast high red maple:
PA220018.JPG
Spike, the resident skogcat, inspects the job:
PB040100.JPG
3 days and nights a-burnin':
PB090163.JPG
Still too big to lift, but I was able to get the bucket inside the burned out part, with the teeth pointing down, and split it into smaller pieces:
A little to the left.JPG

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #29  
I ordered potassium nitrate off of Amazon last night. From what I read, I can fill the cracks with that then add hot water to dissolve and soak into the wood. Then light it up. I like the idea of adding the charcoal as well. I really don't want to cut it. There are areas where rock is in it and areas without rock. It is a mess. I read that oak roots are 18 inches below surface. It does seem like they go deeper than that though. I think the issue here is that they weave in and out of the ledge.
Any experience with the Potassium Nitrate?
Yes, Potassium nitrate will make it disappear. I used "Stump-Out" on a 3' diameter stump next to my house. Cut the tree down leaving the stump 4" above the ground, drilled a dozen 1" holes 8" deep and filled them with stump-out, added diesel fuel a few times over a month period, all per the instructions on the box. Then applied a last soaking of diesel fuel and lit it. It smouldered for several days and the stump was completely below ground level. It was still smouldering until covering it will fill. It's almost magic.

/ Trying to remove 50 inch oak tree stump with Bobcat backhoe. Struggling #30  
I would think your namesakes would make short work of that little sliver in the ground:

ClydesdaleDraftHorses01.jpg