tsc dollie; JUST SAY NO.!!!!

/ tsc dollie; JUST SAY NO.!!!! #21  
never wheeled mine around, when I made my ballast I added a 3/8" chain to the barrel anchored to the drawbar and just lift it to where I want it with the loader

/ tsc dollie; JUST SAY NO.!!!!
never wheeled mine around, when I made my ballast I added a 3/8" chain to the barrel anchored to the drawbar and just lift it to where I want it with the loader

It really isn't a matter of putting the weight box where I want it but more about having it on wheels to align it to the 3pt. hitch.

/ tsc dollie; JUST SAY NO.!!!! #23  
That's about as bad as the Northern Tool hydraulic lift table I bought. Rated for 1000#. The poly lined casters shredded off in chunks. Forget warranty - it carries a 50/50 (50 feet or 50 seconds). Replacement casters run about $30 each - that's more than the table.

Did someone say 'Buy cheap, buy twice"?

... yeah, I did!

/ tsc dollie; JUST SAY NO.!!!! #24  
JDGreenGrass
I have two of those dollies from TSC , one of them I have had no problems.
The other one . One of the wheels broke, I hadn't noticed it was broken,till about 6 mo later ,when I tried to move my ballast box to the side of the building.
I believe I'm the one that broke the wheel . When I was removing the ballast box, Lowered the box faster than I wanted to and it dropped quick and hard.
Can't blame TSC for my dumb mistake.

I never did replace wheel I just leave that dollie set in one location.

Have fun and be safe!!!!

/ tsc dollie; JUST SAY NO.!!!! #25  
That's about as bad as the Northern Tool hydraulic lift table I bought. Rated for 1000#. The poly lined casters shredded off in chunks. Forget warranty - it carries a 50/50 (50 feet or 50 seconds). Replacement casters run about $30 each - that's more than the table.

Did someone say 'Buy cheap, buy twice"?

... yeah, I did!

There's two sides to every coin. I think I have the same or a very similar hyd table with red poly wheels. Mine has worked flawlessly for all jobs. The hardest it has worked was to move two slate-bed pool tables around 700 lb each. I've moved furniture for friends where something heavy needs to be moved and set on top of something else and I've moved a 200 lb crt tube type HDTV several times with mine. The larger wheels have been great for rolling over carpet. My biggest complaint with my table is that it is so high even at the lowest setting that getting material onto it is a pain. once there, it has been flawless.

From my description, you can tell I haven't really challenged my table all that much. It's had a pretty easy life. My biggest worry with it is that I'll be doing a job for someone some day and the hyd cylinder will leak fluid onto their carpet. So far, it's been tight, but you never know until it's too late.:rolleyes:

/ tsc dollie; JUST SAY NO.!!!! #26  
It really isn't a matter of putting the weight box where I want it but more about having it on wheels to align it to the 3pt. hitch.

Have you looked into a used pallet jack,I did the dolly thing for a few years PIA push it and hit a little stone and over it goes.Then I found a used pallet jack for $30 2200lb capacity larger wheels for better rolling, even used it for splitting tractors, and pallets are free.

/ tsc dollie; JUST SAY NO.!!!! #27  
Get use to all this junk because we all want the low price and it comes from China. We make very little of anything in this country anymore. I went to NAPA with an old u joint that said made in the USA want to bet what the new one says.

/ tsc dollie; JUST SAY NO.!!!! #28  
In addition to the "people want cheap not good" problem, I think there's a marketing and sales game going on. The load ratings on things are much closer to the static load than you'd think. So if you piled weights on something with a 1000# rating very slowly and gently, at 1000# it would work, but wouldn't take much to break it. There is also the concept of a dynamic load. Intuitively, it makes sense that if you dropped a 600# weight box from 6" high, it's more of a stress on the dollie than if it's placed on their gently. Then factor in that it's really unlikely that you'd do a perfect 4-point landing, and you get a dropping load that is all on one wheel for an instant.
You also see this with a chain rating. If you had 4000# on a 6000# chain, it might be ok. But you'd never drive your tractor at 5 MPH and then jerk the chain on a 4000# load.

The problem with a dynamic load specification is there is no good standard way to lay out the rules. While these load ratings on dollies and wheels probably take some "shock load" into account, in much the same way that people buy a $99 thing that's worse than a $120 thing that's better, we'd rather buy a 1000# load rated device than a 600# load rated device that's properly rated for the real world loads it would see.

I tend to divide the rated load on dollies and wheels by 3 or 4 and think about how the load gets placed on the device.

So there's my $.02 worth. Would you believe me more if I dropped the value to a penny?

Pete

/ tsc dollie; JUST SAY NO.!!!!
OK....A few people have responded with the idea that I did something to break the cart. I didn't.

Here's the scoop.....The ballast box was on my tractor in the garage when I loaded the box onto the cart. I "dropped" the box onto the cart knowing that it weighed roughly 600lbs. Therefore, I did it slooow and eeeasy. I am not so dumb as to slam that much weight down on ANYTHING.!!!!....Including my garage floor.

Now, my garage is 24ft. wide. I was centered in the bay and I rolled the ballast box roughly just 6' to the middle of the garage. 6 feet. Then, I tried to roll it 6' back to the center of the bay and got about 3' before the wheel broke. Think about what I just said in that paragraph....I rolled it a total of about 9'. It's not like I am rolling it all the way downtown for God's sake.

And, about rateing a weight load. However and whoever rated this dolly is a flunky. Stoned too. It is on wheels, therefore you cannot rate the dolly as a "static" rate. In other words, the manufacturer can't say it's a 1000lb. dolly, just don't try to roll it with that much weight on it. THAT would be ridiculous.

And, IMO, tractor supply is at fault here. They should not be selling inferior products. They need to know that the product they sell has stand up to it's rateings. Otherwise, there is a safety issue, which indeed was the case with my story and experience. It could have easily landed on my toe. Glad it didn't.!!

Also, about price.....I am not a cheap skate. I am not an engineer so I, being the consumer, have to believe the product has been tried and tested.

The product is JUNK. Period. Can't we all see that.?? I guess not.

/ tsc dollie; JUST SAY NO.!!!! #30  
OK....A few people have responded with the idea that I did something to break the cart. I didn't.

Here's the scoop.....The ballast box was on my tractor in the garage when I loaded the box onto the cart. I "dropped" the box onto the cart knowing that it weighed roughly 600lbs. Therefore, I did it slooow and eeeasy. I am not so dumb as to slam that much weight down on ANYTHING.!!!!....Including my garage floor.

Now, my garage is 24ft. wide. I was centered in the bay and I rolled the ballast box roughly just 6' to the middle of the garage. 6 feet. Then, I tried to roll it 6' back to the center of the bay and got about 3' before the wheel broke. Think about what I just said in that paragraph....I rolled it a total of about 9'. It's not like I am rolling it all the way downtown for God's sake.

And, about rateing a weight load. However and whoever rated this dolly is a flunky. Stoned too. It is on wheels, therefore you cannot rate the dolly as a "static" rate. In other words, the manufacturer can't say it's a 1000lb. dolly, just don't try to roll it with that much weight on it. THAT would be ridiculous.

And, IMO, tractor supply is at fault here. They should not be selling inferior products. They need to know that the product they sell has stand up to it's rateings. Otherwise, there is a safety issue, which indeed was the case with my story and experience. It could have easily landed on my toe. Glad it didn't.!!

Also, about price.....I am not a cheap skate. I am not an engineer so I, being the consumer, have to believe the product has been tried and tested.

The product is JUNK. Period. Can't we all see that.?? I guess not.

I would be dissapointed with the service life of the product. 9 feet isn't very far.:eek:

Stuff usually breaks for a reason, but it is rare for a manufactured product with wide distribution to be seriously over rated. It is of course possible that one of the wheels was defective from the factory.:confused:

I always try to figure out how stuff happens. I have broke enough stuff that I have gotten plenty of practice in the last 40 years.:( And I always try to figure out all the possibilities so I can avoid making the same mistake twice, on the rare chance that if it was my own fault.

There is one possibility that comes to mind that I haven't seen anyone address yet :cool::eek:

Working as a mechanical designer for 40 years makes me look at things a little differently than some folks. For the following reason I would never have designed a cart to hold a 600 pound weight with castors that are only good for 300 pounds each.

The problem may have been caused when you lowered the box onto the cart. If any part of it touched down on one corner for even a fraction of a second before the other three corners it could have placed a momentary 600 pound load on one wheel.:eek:

The wheels that are only rated for 300 lbs of weight. Under those circumstances it is probable that the wheel components would become stressed beyond their yeild strength, causing failure. Once one wheel fails, the cart will tilt, lifting the oposite diagonal wheel off the ground, placing 300 lbs of weight on the remaining 2 wheels, at the very limit of the design capacity cusing them to fail also, but probably not as quickly. :eek:

My rather limited experience with 3 point attachments, hitches and top link adjustments would seem to support the possibility that things are not always perfectly level front to back and side to side when lifting and lowering them with a 3 point. Even a slight varience in the concrete floor of as little as a quarter inch under a tractor tire or the cart wheel could cause an overload condition. The only sure way to be able to set down a solid 600 pound object on a wheeled cart without hurting it is to get a cart that has wheels that are rated for 600 pounds each so momentary loads caused by floor variations and or link adjustments will be adequetly supported.:cool::cool:

The product may of course just be "junk" as you have stated :D:D:D:D

However there is a good chance that its design capacity of one of the components was at one point exceeded, leading to total failure of the assembly for reasons previously stated.:D:D:D:D:D

chit happens but it usually happens for a reason...:cool:

junk happens usually because of the lowest bidder in the supply chain:D

Last edited: