Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil?

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil?
The heavier 50 weight oil does not thin out as much when it gets warm or hot so less internal leakage and HST performs better. I would change oil and see how it performs before doing complete rebuild

on X500 engagement of mower deck. At lower RPM activate the choke partially and deck will engage without stalling the engine. This procedure works very well on my X540
Thanks oldnslo. I'll play with choke on Husqy when I engage PTO - just weird that the JD doesn't need such. Making me ...kinda feeling less-than-thrilled with my Husqy, which up until now I've LOVED!!!! I still think I'll get new plugs and maybe even new coils and see if that solves it. If not, will plan to ride the choke - or sell the Husqy and keep the JD!!!

So when I drain the tranny on the JD, I should fill it with 15W50 or 20W50? Does it need to be Tuff Torq oil or ...Castrol/Whatever oil? Synthetic or Conventional??

Thanks all!!!

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #22  
My two cents on the oil. Any good name brand oil should work and I would probably go with 20W50 if tractor is not used in cold weather for plowing snow. I used Mobil 1 in an older Hydrogear several years ago on the recommendation from the factory. It allowed a few more years of run time and then the mower was scrapped since the deck was shot.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #23  
Well, for the Husqy, the only time I go to engage the mower deck - to mow the grass - is when it's "warm"; 60 degrees or above.

Once everything on the machine "gets warmed up" - used 5 to 10 minutes or so - then everything seems to work normally, or as one would expect.

I will say though that, ANY time I engage the PTO on the JD, that mower deck spins up like a hot knife through buttah!

By cold I mainly meant that it has been sitting a while in the garage and the spindles are cold. It sounds like my X500 acts just like your Husqy.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil?
Disclaimer: I don't watch regular TV anymore since everything is propaganda, lies, and wokeness. I choose to watch programming from folks like us who share their knowledge and in doing so make some extra money. I prefer watching on Rumble on ROKU, but since it is fairly new not as much content. Anyway, there are lots of great channels on YT that explain how to do stuff and one of many that I recommend is
If you can get past the corny intros and fake teeth old Tarly has a great video on the Tuff Torque 46 rebuild.
My buddy gave away a Cub 54 inch cut Garden tractor when the Trans Axel TT46 went out. I wish I had seen this video before he threw it away. Also highly recommend channel MUSTI1. He is a genius on small engines/CUT/marine/small motorcycles and some automotive content and has a video reviving a CUB TT46 hydro that he got for free. Seems like a pretty good dude. Another is Western Truck and Tractor. He is a one-man heavy equipment mechanic that works on the big stuff (tractors farm machinery forklifts etc) out in Oregon. He also works some Diesel trucks including HD pickups. A pretty awesome dude who shares his knowledge and sometimes frustrations about current supply challenges.

https://www.youtube.com/c/mustie1
western truck and tractor repair https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNVKQS-Jl70TYCmsEPO73QA
Thanks. I watched this before I did my Husqy. Goofy distraction with acting, but, useful tech tips

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #25  
Nope. That's the MTD CVT that they've had for decades. Single speed FNR box w/ a variable speed pulley and an extra belt for fun and games.
Seven speed manual shift riding lawn mower:
View attachment 740614

That was easy to find.

Richard
ope.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #26  
Thanks so much, Tom. Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. One question, based on my order last night of the Tuff Torq 5W50… Do I need to use “Tuff Torq” 15W50 or 20W50? And what’s the thinking on going to those higher viscosities? How does that help the transmission operate better? (Thanks so much!!).
No. Buy any motor oil. I've used both. 20W50 if a summer use machine is fine and easier to probably get. I use 15W50 Briggs Vanguard syn for customer units.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #27  
Thank you, jgayman. I appreciate your perspective(s) on hydro and geared transmissions and how well your 175 performed since '88. But, (without sounding like a jerk), no one is answering my question, and obviously no one has a crystal ball, but: Given the stated operation, of losing maybe 50% of its power after about 20 minutes - should I just drain the transmission of its fluid and just replace with new ...or bite the whole bullet, spend the $4xx buck and buy a rebuild kit to rebuild it, which will include new fluid???

Obviously, I can drain and refill ---- and then put it all back together and test it. If it does the same thing, then I know I need to rebuild.

I'm just hoping someone whose gone through similar can weigh in on the question I've asked so I can make a more educated decision.

Thank you,

Jay

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #28  
The hydrotrans on my X320 JD failed to climb grades when hot. I had it replaced by dealer with new Drive Belt. $1,800 Cdn. I don't know what comes with the rebuild kit. Pistons and sleeves?
Gotta adjust pedals to get a quicker Reverse.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #29  
As many of us know, these Tuff Torq transmissions lose power over time. On my Husqvarna LGT 24K54, it lost virtually all power to climb the slightest of inclines after only 10-15 mins of use. I spent the $400+ and bought the rebuild kit from TT and ...rebuilt it, added new fluid and mmmmmmmmmmmmwah - she was like new again. (Never going to tow anything above 25lbs again!!!!). I now am having a somewhat similar issue with my JD LA175, though it only looses about half power after 20 minutes.

Big question is: Do I rebuild or just drain and refill with new TT fluid/oil? I removed that small cap in the rear of the tranny, higher up on the tranny, and when I stuck a 3" match stick down in there, it seemed quite low; barely hitting the 1/4" mark with about and inch and a half worth of the match stick stuck down in there. (Scientific, I know...). So I'm wondering whether to just take the tranny completely off the machine and just drain & refill --- or buy the rebuild kit and finish by refilling with new fluid/oil?

Any way to know if you just need fresh oil or a rebuild kit???

Thanks all.

Jay
Interesting question. The hydro might just need fresh fluid with their friction properties. OR was fluid low on the JD too so you have internal wear?
Hydros have come a long way. Tractor trailers, busses, everything has hydros in them these days

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #30  
As many of us know, these Tuff Torq transmissions lose power over time. On my Husqvarna LGT 24K54, it lost virtually all power to climb the slightest of inclines after only 10-15 mins of use. I spent the $400+ and bought the rebuild kit from TT and ...rebuilt it, added new fluid and mmmmmmmmmmmmwah - she was like new again. (Never going to tow anything above 25lbs again!!!!). I now am having a somewhat similar issue with my JD LA175, though it only looses about half power after 20 minutes.

Big question is: Do I rebuild or just drain and refill with new TT fluid/oil? I removed that small cap in the rear of the tranny, higher up on the tranny, and when I stuck a 3" match stick down in there, it seemed quite low; barely hitting the 1/4" mark with about and inch and a half worth of the match stick stuck down in there. (Scientific, I know...). So I'm wondering whether to just take the tranny completely off the machine and just drain & refill --- or buy the rebuild kit and finish by refilling with new fluid/oil?

Any way to know if you just need fresh oil or a rebuild kit???

Thanks all.

Jay
In my 'stuff I need to know but will never remember' file I have the note that the K66 transmission is stronger but much heavier. When my YTH23V42LS Husqvarna fails, that's what I'm going to try.