Two Seconds. Maybe Three.

/ Two Seconds. Maybe Three. #22  
Ever notice - a deer will stand by the side of the road or just off in the brush until you are coming. Then they DASH across. Hoping to not get hit.

It's so common to see deer - early AM or dusk - I won't drive that time of day unless its really necessary. I've come so VERY close - more times than I can count.

Up where AquaMoose lives - it's a bloody nightmare. They ARE everywhere up there also. It's not called Deer Park for no good reason.

/ Two Seconds. Maybe Three. #23  
Several years ago, on my way to work one morning, I saw several does crossing the road ahead of me and slowed down. The doe I didn't see hit my right front fender and right back fender. If I hadn't slowed down, I would have been fine. Luckily, no major damage but several dents and lots of fur. The doe was laying down by the road but gone later when I came through later.

/ Two Seconds. Maybe Three. #24  
Several years ago, on my way to work one morning, I saw several does crossing the road ahead of me and slowed down. The doe I didn't see hit my right front fender and right back fender. If I hadn't slowed down, I would have been fine. Luckily, no major damage but several dents and lots of fur. The doe was laying down by the road but gone later when I came through later.
I'm sure this isn't news to most country drivers, but I have been in a car with some city friends who weren't going to slow down after they saw a single deer cross the road up ahead. If you see one cross, slow down and be ready for a few more!
Sure enough a couple more went across and if we hadn't slowed, we would've going 60 right through them...

/ Two Seconds. Maybe Three. #25  
I saw a full size wagon with the roof and front crushed in. When I asked, he said one big Doe did all that damage.
Here, they are everywhere and just stare at the cars, until they decide to cross.
Had a few jump out at me the other night, as I expect it, not a big deal.

But I see them on 295 here all the time, mainly lying off to the side. Amazing that even in the middle lane, how fast they come across and how little time to react.

/ Two Seconds. Maybe Three. #26  
We used to have moose accidents as frequently as some of you describe deer.

/ Two Seconds. Maybe Three. #27  
I'm sure this isn't news to most country drivers, but I have been in a car with some city friends who weren't going to slow down after they saw a single deer cross the road up ahead. If you see one cross, slow down and be ready for a few more!
Sure enough a couple more went across and if we hadn't slowed, we would've going 60 right through them...
Every time I see one, I slow down and look, and at least around here there is almost always a few more.

We lost a beloved station wagon to a deer that jumped up from below the road on a hillside; there was no chance to see it beforehand and driving 35mph was still too fast/too close.

In the local foothills September, October, November are the months for deer doing stupid things. Bucks chasing does, and does spooking from bucks, all lead to deer popping into the local roads quickly.

On the one that got away; shortly after getting my driver's license, I was driving quickly (around 50-ish) in my parents nearly new car from the city out to the farm on the county roads. Similar scenario, an unseen and unseeable deer jumped up from below the road into my lane. I stood on the four wheel disk brakes, and swerved into the other lane, when, Surprise!, a second deer jumps up into that lane, even closer to me. While still standing on the brakes, I swerved back into the other lane, as the drop off on both sides of the road were too steep to contemplate going off the pavement. When the car stopped, the bumper was about three inches away from the first deer who hadn't budged an inch. Once the car stopped, it was about two nanoseconds before the deer took off, diving through the barbed wire fence, leaving a small burst of deer fuzz behind.

Yes, I never have driven that quickly in rural twilight again. Live and learn.

All the best,

Peter

/ Two Seconds. Maybe Three. #28  
We used to have moose accidents as frequently as some of you describe deer.
Glad we don't have moose here!

1636731654801.png

/ Two Seconds. Maybe Three. #29  
Moose = 2,000 lbs mass on stilts.

/ Two Seconds. Maybe Three. #30  
Was driving home one evening and the roads were very icy.
A fawn jumped out and landed about 3 feet in front of me.
Being very icy its feet splayed apart so the profile was very low.
My only damage was a plastic 'bib' or diverter.

I dragged it to the side of the road, called the LEO's mainly to have the carcass removed.
Next day they asked if II was pranking them!
I strongly suspect the LEO brought the meat home for his personal consumption as I knew him to be an ardent hunter.

I'm in a dear country so always have my eyes pealed.
The current game hazard is wild turkey. They are all over the place and often flocks of 10-15.

Just yesterday I also saw ruffled grouse crossing 4 times. Always very slow without a worry in the world.