TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck

/ TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck
The pedal adjustment is really easy too, if you have an owners manual which is available on the TYM websit

Correct. Slowly 'rock' the tractor back and forth with the FWD & reverse pedal(s) while tractor is running, and applying LIGHT pressure on the shifter/stick in the direction of the desired range (LOW/MED/HIGH). If the transmission isn't 'bricked'... it should go into the desired gear/range with the slight rocking motion.

Good luck!
I really appreciate your help!

I have rotated between pedals but I am not sure I have ever “rocked” the tractor. So I will try rocking with constant light pressure on the shifter as you suggested.

What do you mean by the transmission being bricked?

Prior to this incident I mainly just kept the tractor in medium. The few times I did shift ranges I had all of the roughness during shifting that is mentioned frequently in the forums. But it did shift.

I am also going to check on pedal adjustments. When I was looking under the tractor and moving the pedals it seemed to me pedals were not moving equal distances and seemed a bit out of sync. Maybe adjust the pedals as suggested above? I need to check the manual for any guidance on pedal adjustment.

As I said before, I don’t understand why this problem seems unique to me.. Surely someone else has had a similar issue.

/ TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck #12  
I really appreciate your help!

I have rotated between pedals but I am not sure I have ever “rocked” the tractor. So I will try rocking with constant light pressure on the shifter as you suggested.

What do you mean by the transmission being bricked?

Prior to this incident I mainly just kept the tractor in medium. The few times I did shift ranges I had all of the roughness during shifting that is mentioned frequently in the forums. But it did shift.

I am also going to check on pedal adjustments. When I was looking under the tractor and moving the pedals it seemed to me pedals were not moving equal distances and seemed a bit out of sync. Maybe adjust the pedals as suggested above? I need to check the manual for any guidance on pedal adjustment.

As I said before, I don’t understand why this problem seems unique to me.. Surely someone else has had a similar issue.

Being 'bricked' is an urban term/phrase that is commonly used to describe a situation where a device becomes completely inoperable or non-functional, essentially turning into a "brick." When a device is "bricked," it means that it cannot be used. (Internet description)

BTW... the issue with your transmission is not unique to you. It's happened to me a couple times when I've parked my tractor on an incline. I discovered the 'fix' by watching YouTube videos and reading Tractor By Net Forums. (Did you have a chance to view the link I provided in Post #10 above re: toggling a stuck T353HST transmission?).

I understand your frustration. Don't forget ALL of us were once first time tractor owners also, just like yourself. Taking the time to 'pay it forward' to help a fellow newcomer is what I find these forums are all about...

Take care and good luck.

-Jack

Being 'bricked' is an urban term/phrase that is commonly used to describe a situation where a device becomes completely inoperable or non-functional, essentially turning into a "brick." When a device is "bricked," it means that it cannot be used. (Internet description)

BTW... the issue with your transmission is not unique to you. It's happened to me a couple times when I've parked my tractor on an incline. I discovered the 'fix' by watching YouTube videos and reading Tractor By Net Forums. (Did you have a chance to view the link I provided in Post #10 above re: toggling a stuck T353HST transmission?).

I understand your frustration. Don't forget ALL of us were once first time tractor owners also, just like yourself. Taking the time to 'pay it forward' to help a fellow newcomer is what I find these forums are all about...

Take care and good luck.

-Jack
Good morning!

Thanks for your help.

Well it appears my tranny is “bricked”. Rocked it ever way imaginable yesterday but the shifter refused to move.

Rocked between pedals, pushed one pedal and let the tractor roll back into place, constant pressure and intermittent pressure on the shifter that seems to be frozen in place.

Nothing!

Looking at the action of the pedals they seem to be out of sync so maybe there is an adjustment to be done but it seems that the shifter should move regardless.

Not any guidance in the manual on doing any pedal adjustment so I am afraid to try it.

So it looks like I have to pay the dealer to come pick up and fix a tractor that he said, “is as good as new”!

Just for the record, I had considered buying a new tractor from one of the big out of state dealers but thought it would be smarter to buy from a local (70 miles) dealer.

Looks like I was wrong. Seems to me the dealer should come get the tractor and fix it but he refused.

He certainly will never get an endorsement from me!

/ TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck #14  
Dang! Sorry that didn't technique didn't work you.

FWIW... I'd get on the phone with the Manager at the dealership and explain how UN-HAPPY I was about purchasing a 1-yr old (270 hr) tractor only to be told they wouldn't make it right. If that didn't work, I'd call a TYM District Manager and maybe he/she could provide you some relief. If that didn't work, I'd remind them there is such a thing as SOCIAL MEDIA and that I would be spreading the 'word' how they screwed me over!!! And I wouldn't be taking my tractor back to the dealership that started the mess you're in. They wouldn't be getting another DOLLAR of mine, even if I had to take my tractor 100+ miles up the road. I'm generally a nice fella until I feel I'm getting screwed over. Then it's GAME ON!!!!

YMMV (Your mileage may vary...).

-Jack

/ TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck #15  
Good morning!

Thanks for your help.

Just for the record, I had considered buying a new tractor from one of the big out of state dealers but thought it would be smarter to buy from a local (70 miles) dealer.
You don't have a location in your profile. I got my T574 from a dealer 80 miles away despite having 2 closer in Longview and Tyler. Mine is one of the bigger dealers in the US for TYM.

If the rocking didn't work, it could be something with the linkage. Could be as simple as a shot of WD40 or adjusting the tension.

The 494/574 has a different shifter (same engine) in a h pattern. Rocking always helps when mine gets 'stuck'.

Perhaps you have an independent mechanic closer than can take a look.

Good luck and welcome to the TYM and TBN families.

Dang! Sorry that didn't technique didn't work you.

FWIW... I'd get on the phone with the Manager at the dealership and explain how UN-HAPPY I was about purchasing a 1-yr old (270 hr) tractor only to be told they wouldn't make it right. If that didn't work, I'd call a TYM District Manager and maybe he/she could provide you some relief. If that didn't work, I'd remind them there is such a thing as SOCIAL MEDIA and that I would be spreading the 'word' how they screwed me over!!! And I wouldn't be taking my tractor back to the dealership that started the mess you're in. They wouldn't be getting another DOLLAR of mine, even if I had to take my tractor 100+ miles up the road. I'm generally a nice fella until I feel I'm getting screwed over. Then it's GAME ON!!!!

YMMV (Your mileage may vary...).

-Jack
Jack, I really appreciate your moral support. It was the owner of the dealership that sold me the tractor..

I sent him an email a week after getting it with a list of complaints. He did say he would fix them, it is on me to get the tractor to him.

I had considered buying a tractor from Mike Scharmke of LSE Tractors, but at the end of the day I thought he was to far away. I explained the problems to him and he was nice enough to respond and give me some advice. One of the things he stated was that if a tractor ever left his shop in as bad a shape as my tractor he would have it picked up and fixed it. If that is true, I made a huge mistake not buying from him. Given that he is 350 miles from me.

One of the things Mike said was the dealer is not legally required to pick up the tractor but that any decent dealer stands behind their products… the tractor is still under warranty so my only cost should only be the transportation cost.

Before I go ballistic I need to make absolutely sure that my problem is not operator error. (Looking is not trivial, the tractor is on property 35 miles from where I live.) I will look at the linkage again today. Maybe spray it with lube. Just throwing anything against the wall to see what sticks.

But, the tractor was delivered with other problems that predate the shifter issue. So I guess I will get the tractor to him and see if he makes things right before I burn any bridges.

You don't have a location in your profile. I got my T574 from a dealer 80 miles away despite having 2 closer in Longview and Tyler. Mine is one of the bigger dealers in the US for TYM.

If the rocking didn't work, it could be something with the linkage. Could be as simple as a shot of WD40 or adjusting the tension.

The 494/574 has a different shifter (same engine) in a h pattern. Rocking always helps when mine gets 'stuck'.

Perhaps you have an independent mechanic closer than can take a look.

Good luck and welcome to the TYM and TBN families.
Good afternoon Torvy,

I am in central Arkansas. I looked at several of the big out of state dealers. They all had much better prices than the local dealers. I considered buying a Yanmar locally but I really like the Kukje engine and wanted that engine.

There is a local TYM/Branson dealer that I visited. I asked him if he would match the price and sell me a tractor or do warranty work if I brought the tractor to him for service/maintenance work.

His response, H… No

So I went with a used tractor that the dealer said was “shop serviced, and as good as new”.

I will try some WD 40. Adjusting the linkage is probably above my pay grade.

Oh well. Live and learn

Thanks for the response.

/ TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck #18  
That's always the tough part. You're never 100% sure about the dealer until you need them.

That's why I went with the bigger one. To be fair, in most cases I would need to get the tractor to them. Like with LSE, my dealer would not have let a machine with problems leave the lot (or would have made it right).

I hear you on the wrenching. I have limited skills. Fortunately, I know people who have better skills. Not making a living with my tractor, so I try to take a deep breath.

Big Tex Tractors in Caddo Mills, TX (east of DFW, right on I30) is my dealer. Iirc there are "good" dealers in Idaho and maybe Maine? LSE is new to TYM/Branson, but are big enough to handle issues. (Hopefully others can chime in on some good options). These dealers can help with parts and suggestions. They have an unofficial presence here, too.

/ TYM T474 HST Range Shifter Stuck #19  
Sorry to hear of your trouble. Remember that any tractor of any tractor make has issues on occasion and it isn't always a reflection of the brand.

Here is something to try, Our Massey 1750M will often not want to go out of 4WD and i have to work the front tires back and forth with the steering wheel a couple times and then it will go out of 4WD. First time it happened I COULD NOT get it out of 4WD and I called the dealer and he told me to try rotating the front tires back and forth with the steering wheel.

Just a thought, call a couple other dealers, my guess is you will hit on a service mechanic who has seen this and it could be something quirky like our Massey.

To be fair, the dealer did say that he would resolve my issues. I just have to get the tractor to him.

I also considered buying from Big Tex. I didn’t buy from them because I didn’t want to be responsible for getting the tractor to them in the event I had warranty issues. I know standard procedure is for the customer to be responsible for getting the tractor to the dealer.

I am just frustrated because I thought I was buying a tractor that was ready to work.

I texted the dealer today to start making arrangements to get the tractor to him. (He has not yet responded .) Hopefully the tractor gets completely fixed on someone else’s dime. (The stuck shift lever is just the most serious of several problems.)

I did spray my pedal connections with WD 40 today. With the tractor not running the pedals had a lot less resistance .I didn’t start the tractor because I didn’t have time to use it enough to put the engine under load and I want to minimize the chances of the tractor needing a regine while I am unable to shift to neutral.