TYM T474HC at the top of my list to buy

/ TYM T474HC at the top of my list to buy #1  

Rich_Z

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T474HC
I am thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on this model. Been watching YouTube videos and such to get a feel for whether or not this will be a smart move on my part. Will be used mostly for clearing between larger trees to get rid of a lot of underbrush, but am keeping an open mind about more nails showing up to use my new hammer on.

Price is pretty decent, so I have room in my flexible budget to add a backhoe. Seems this would be great for de-rooting pine tree stumps and maybe more easily smoothing out some areas by reaching IN to them, rather than PUSHING into them.

So looking for feedback. I have already looked at every tractor brand and dealership relatively near by. Closest runner up was the Kioti brand CK20SE series. But I think I offended the salesman when I told him I thought he wanted too much for the 39 HP version over the 24 HP version. Such is life, I guess.

/ TYM T474HC at the top of my list to buy #2  
I have almost 400h on my TYM T474, it's been a very reliable tractor and no issues. I haven't had a regen to date, but I run it at 2-2400 rpms most of the time while using it. I don't have a backhoe, the wise man are divided whether that's money well spend vs renting a mini-ex?

/ TYM T474HC at the top of my list to buy #3  
Have you sat on it and driven it yet?

I'd be in the camp to pass on the backhoe. That's a lot of extra money to have it sit around most of the time. Use that backhoe money to buy more attachments, wood chipper, tiller, mower, land plane/box blade, etc. If you're that flush with leftover cash, buy a laneshark for the FEL for when you're not using the grapple, and want to trim some branches or hedges.

Last edited:
   / TYM T474HC at the top of my list to buy
Have you sat on it and driven it yet?

I'd be in the camp to pass on the backhoe. That's a lot of extra money to have it sit around most of the time. Use that backhoe money to buy more attachments, wood chipper, tiller, mower, land plane/box blade, etc. If you're that flush with leftover cash, buy a laneshark for the FEL for when you're not using the grapple, and want to trim some branches or hedges.

No, haven't sat on or driven one yet. But having never sat on or driven another tractor before, I would have nothing to compare it against. I think I will have to adapt to anything I would buy.

Yes, I have been thinking the same thing about that backhoe. I am thinking a grapple and flail mower might be money better spent right now. I can always buy the backhoe later on if I find I really have a need for one around here.

But tell me more about that "laneshark".....

/ TYM T474HC at the top of my list to buy #5  
Laneshark, $4500 and up. Nice if you have extra cash.

I'm sourcing a flail ditch mower for my 574H. It will be my only mower and will act a little like a poor man's laneshark.

I stepped up for a few features that the 474 size didn't have that were important to me. I like the step level fuel versus the over the 3pt location. The bigger tractor gave me more lift height and capacity and it allows me to reach the loft in my shop with a bucket or forks. The price difference was not that much for my budget. I believe they use the same engine. TYM has maybe 4-6 models that use it.

/ TYM T474HC at the top of my list to buy #6  
No, haven't sat on or driven one yet. But having never sat on or driven another tractor before, I would have nothing to compare it against. I think I will have to adapt to anything I would buy.

Yes, I have been thinking the same thing about that backhoe. I am thinking a grapple and flail mower might be money better spent right now. I can always buy the backhoe later on if I find I really have a need for one around here.

But tell me more about that "laneshark".....
There are a few videos on Youtube also...

Home - Lane Shark USA - Brush Cutter

/ TYM T474HC at the top of my list to buy #8  
I would like something like a front mounted flail mower, if there is such a thing.
There is for Toolcats: https://www.bobcat.com/na/en/attachments/flail-cutter

flail mower,.jpg

And this would work on a Toolcat: TMG Industrial 72” Hydraulic Skid Steer Flail Mower

Screenshot 2023-08-02 12.27.48.png

This 7' brush hog is what I have on ours:

P5250024.JPG
P7250003.JPG

And a 6' finish mower for the yard:

PA080001.JPG
PA080005.JPG

Last edited:
   / TYM T474HC at the top of my list to buy #9  
There isn't a PTO shaft on the front of most tractors in the US to run a flail mower. If you intend to run a hydraulic cutter on the front of any tractor, you need to check the specs to see if it can actually run the hydraulic implement you are considering.

There are front mounted tractor tractor pole saws, both circular and chain. Home