u-joint issues

/ u-joint issues #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
Just replaced all three u joints in the front driveshaft of my 99 F250 SD. Had a shop do it because of that double u-joint, some things I have learned better than to even try. Even in a shop that does these regularly, it gave them fits-had to cut the old joints with a torch to get them out. My rant is about the grease fittings on u-joints. there was just not enough clearance for the zerk mounted on the body of the u-joint. One was sheared off just from picking up the shaft. After figuring out that the fitting was just too long, finally found a cup type fitting that uses a rounded needle. Clearance was not a problem, still can't grease into it. THen I tried to grease the other joint, can't even get the end of the grease gun into the joint, much less even being able to attach it to the zerk.
SO, why do they put the zerk on the body where you can't get to it? Why not put them in the end cap? I do like to keep things greased that need it, but with these joints it is impossible unless you disassemble the joint-not going to happen.. Can you drill a hole and install a zerk in the endcap? The originals lasted almost 200K miles, would be nice to get similar life out of these. It is the front shaft, but I leave my hubs locked most of the time, so the joints rotate, they are just not under pressure most of the time.

/ u-joint issues #2  
First off why leave the hubs locked in all the time?

Those end caps are hard as can be. Last summer I had to replace some U joints on a Vermeer mower which had to have the fittings in the caps. Vermeer wanted something like $45 x 2, I tried to drill a cap to see if i could by some cheap ones locally and relocate the fitting, it did not work. I ended up measuring them and ordering the correct ones online for $50 for both. I'll try to find the name of the company I ordered them from.

/ u-joint issues #3  
First off why leave the hubs locked in all the time?

Those end caps are hard as can be. Last summer I had to replace some U joints on a Vermeer mower which had to have the fittings in the caps. Vermeer wanted something like $45 x 2, I tried to drill a cap to see if i could by some cheap ones locally and relocate the fitting, it did not work. I ended up measuring them and ordering the correct ones from a company in found online for $50 for both. I'll try to find the name of the company I ordered them from.

/ u-joint issues #4  
It is not a double u-joint, it is a constant velocity joint. If they had to cut it to get it out, they don't know what they are doing. If you position the u-joints in the CV properly they will have the clearance needed. Most of these including the spring loaded CV member can be greased easily with a needle point adapter on your grease gun. If they messed it up that badly I would think you will be replacing parts again soon. Personally, I would have someone else rebuild it properly.
Dave

/ u-joint issues #5  
Ford loves to install crappy front (and read) driveshafts.

The slip joint (splines) on my front and completely siezed. They were non greasable. To get it out Im going to have to destroy the shaft. Brilliant!

/ u-joint issues #6  
I would have bought a remanufactured shaft rather then pay some local shop to rebuild a CV shaft.

somethmes a little die grinder work while the shaft is out makes those zerks easier to get to, it also matters which way they point them at installation.

/ u-joint issues #7  
Ford loves to install crappy front (and read) driveshafts.

The slip joint (splines) on my front and completely siezed. They were non greasable. To get it out Im going to have to destroy the shaft. Brilliant!

yep; bronco II comes to mind. ugh

/ u-joint issues #8  
Original poster talking about a F250, not F150. Solid front axle not independent front suspension with CV axles.

/ u-joint issues #9  
There should have been an orientation that allowed you to get the nipple on them. They probably put them together, realized the problem, and just left them that way rather than dis-assembling again. Or they didn't care.

/ u-joint issues #10  
Original poster talking about a F250, not F150. Solid front axle not independent front suspension with CV axles.
from OP"Just replaced all three u joints in the front driveshaft of my 99 F250 SD. Had a shop do it because of that double u-joint"