Oil & Fuel Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #61  
He's how you prove your point without having to try and point to a european fuel standard that has no impact on US consumers...

Where are all the failing injector pumps (CP3 or CP4) in the US due to no fuel lubrication?

I'll patiently wait...

We have had injector and other problems with the 20 yo Bobcat. We sold off the last diesel one ton because it's pump failed again. Nailing down the exact source is elusive. I really like diesels but if I have to pay the bills. Well, I may stick to a shovel and wheelbarrow and just put on welding dark shades when I go outside.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #62  
There's a reason why manufacturers specify and manufacture to differing markets. While one can point out the differences that don't mean that they apply: "European" spec engines might not* be being sold in the US- that only US spec'd ones are, which would make this moot.
I have run up against the different country spec before. It may not be moot.

When the inverter welder market was young the European mfg took existing successful machines and imported them into the USA with minor revisions. It was thought since the first stage converted current into DC, the original design being for 50 hz would not matter. They were wrong. It took years of revisions for them to become durable.

Also, they didn't appreciate the American workers habit of exceeding duty cycles and overworking equipment that borders on abuse. The early machines were delicate. USA welders thrash it and trash it. Miller, for example, uses % of 10 minutes to set duty cycle (not 5 min) and 104ーF temperature rise ( not 86ーF).

I need the third generation "we worked the bugs out" "nailed it" version. On a budget.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #63  
We had a VW TDI for almost 7 years before VW bought it back. They say that use of any additive voids the warranty. It's a common rail diesel engine.

The oil companies should know all about modern engines. I'd think that ULSD should be fine in all without an additive. I use an additive in the diesel I get for my Isuzu diesel, which isn't common rail, just because it sits for quite long periods in that 60 gallon tank. It's about 6 years old now and only about 130 hours. Only uses 0.2 gph. It's a gem of a diesel. Does the whole house.

Ralph

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel
We had a VW TDI for almost 7 years before VW bought it back. They say that use of any additive voids the warranty. It's a common rail diesel engine.

The oil companies should know all about modern engines. I'd think that ULSD should be fine in all without an additive. I use an additive in the diesel I get for my Isuzu diesel, which isn't common rail, just because it sits for quite long periods in that 60 gallon tank. It's about 6 years old now and only about 130 hours. Only uses 0.2 gph. It's a gem of a diesel. Does the whole house.

Ralph
This from the person whose ULSD additive suggestion was:
You could also put in a quart of ATF about every 20 gallons.

Ralph
That post was careless, borderline irresponsible. You damaged your credibility - with me anyway.

Last edited:
   / Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #65  
^^Ooops^^:shocked:

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #66  
This from the person whose ULSD additive suggestion was:

That post was careless, borderline irresponsible. You damaged your credibility - with me anyway.

There was no malice in his suggestions and he said he read it wrong . Old mechanical diesels have consumed plenty of ATF in their day. I know guys that prime the injector pump on a CAT with ATF.

The bottom line is...if you have a common rail, the biggest worry is water. It's up to you if you want to run an additive to mitigate that risk.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #67  
Just out of curiousity, is there a study on the effects of using ATF or sootless 2 cycle oil in modern diesel engines?

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #68  
The bottom line is...if you have a common rail, the biggest worry is water. It's up to you if you want to run an additive to mitigate that risk.

If the primary source of water contamination is thermal changes moving humid air in and out, what about charcoal and kitty litter?

Bentonite, charcoal, and anthracite are all good oil absorbents. Silica gel is an effective water absorbent. Kingsford and two kinds of kitty litter would be cheap and easy to source. Several lengths of 4 in pvc, some fittings, and some hose would be cheap for containers. Three liter pop bottles or pasta sauce jars are even cheaper. The charcoal would keep diesel fumes from poisoning the silica gel. Silica gel is easy to dry in an oven.

Early emissions had little cannisters with activated carbon.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel #69  
Really liked the Chevron report. But the section on wear/lubricity makes me think it would be more of an issue on mechanical fuel injection systems not common rail. States that theres two types of lube hydrodynamic which is determined by viscosity and not changed with ulsd and boundary which is lubricant that adheres to a surface and protects it in slow moving low rpm high load conditions. This is reduced by the process to remove the sulfur.
I’m sensitive to this. I just had my Bosch pump and injectors overhauled at 250 hrs and I’ve noticed 3 or 4 other posts by people having issues over the last couple months.
Be nice to have “thepumpguy” weigh in on if he thinks there’s been an increase in wear since the use of ulsd. He has +30 years repairing them and has been helping people on this forum a lot

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel
Really liked the Chevron report. But the section on wear/lubricity makes me think it would be more of an issue on mechanical fuel injection systems not common rail. States that theres two types of lube hydrodynamic which is determined by viscosity and not changed with ulsd and boundary which is lubricant that adheres to a surface and protects it in slow moving low rpm high load conditions. This is reduced by the process to remove the sulfur.
I知 sensitive to this. I just had my Bosch pump and injectors overhauled at 250 hrs and I致e noticed 3 or 4 other posts by people having issues over the last couple months.
Be nice to have 鍍hepumpguy weigh in on if he thinks there痴 been an increase in wear since the use of ulsd. He has +30 years repairing them and has been helping people on this forum a lot

Prior to the fuel system failure were you at all concerned about the lubricity of the ULSD fuel you were using?