Upgrading glow plugs

/ Upgrading glow plugs #21  
Soundguy said:
I think I'd ahve threaded it internally, vs epoxy. i think that is just waiting for a catastrophic heat failure under those temps and pressures..

Soundguy

But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. :D If/when it lets go...just another buck worth or JB Weld and it might be good for another few years.

/ Upgrading glow plugs #22  
I'd always be worried that it's let go that time I was driving downt he 4-lane, or int he intersection.. or when using it in an emergency. At that point, a few hundred bucks worth of glow plug as OEM replacements would seem real cheap.

Soundguy

/ Upgrading glow plugs
Soundguy said:
I think he was using starting fluid on an engine with inoperable glow plugs.. if I read it right..

Soundguy

You are correct, sir. Although, I sometimes used to remove the glow plug and hold it above a propane torch for 2-3 minutes until it was glowing orange, and then quickly put it back in turn it over. Sometimes it worked, sometimes didn't. Even with gloves, though, I still ended up somehow burning my fingers.

/ Upgrading glow plugs #24  
Soundguy said:
I'd always be worried that it's let go that time I was driving downt he 4-lane, or int he intersection.. or when using it in an emergency. At that point, a few hundred bucks worth of glow plug as OEM replacements would seem real cheap.

Soundguy

All valid points, but if it does blow out the motor will still run, so you can get through the intersection, off the road, etc. Ok you are not going to want to run it another 10 miles because it'll overheat. But drilling, taping threads isn't always as easy as sitting here in my chusy office chair and saying so. Spending 300-400 bucks is real easy...especially when it's someone elses. hehe :D

Plus in most all conditions, my tractor is easier to push than my atv's :) :D

/ Upgrading glow plugs #25  
It's a widely known fact that spending other's money is what this board does best...

Soundguy

/ Upgrading glow plugs #26  
Soundguy said:
It's a widely known fact that spending other's money is what this board does best...

Soundguy

.....:D......

/ Upgrading glow plugs #27  
Just an observation. Did your glowplugs not work because your battery was dead? I noticed that in one of your pictures, there were no wires hooked to the generator. Do you have an alternator mounted somewhere that we don't see?

/ Upgrading glow plugs #28  
Willl said:
Would a intake air heater work in place of glow plugs ?

You might have something there Willl, many diesels don't use glow plugs, just an air heater.

/ Upgrading glow plugs
Willl said:
You might have something there Willl, many diesels don't use glow plugs, just an air heater.

Do you know of an aftermarket intake heater I could take a look at? I'm sure I could figure out a way to adapt it.

/ Upgrading glow plugs #30  
No, but when I get back to work I'll see if there are some 'extras' laying around and ship one down. Seriously.

I really don't see why it wouldn't work.