Upgrading glow plugs

/ Upgrading glow plugs
BTDT said:
Just an observation. Did your glowplugs not work because your battery was dead? I noticed that in one of your pictures, there were no wires hooked to the generator. Do you have an alternator mounted somewhere that we don't see?

Hey, good observation. :) No, it's there, just nothing wired to it. The battery isn't dead as it gets put in a trickle charger every other start. Fixing the charging system is on my list of things to fix with this tractor. . When I got this tractor there were a lot of things that didn't work, and the wiring was big spagetti mess. so I pulled all the wires. My first method was of starting it was to 'arc' the terminals of the starter..(come'on...I know I'm not the only one that's ever done this).

FWIW, here's the current fix list by priority.

1. starter wiring --done-- if you look really close you'll see a 1/4" copper tube that goes between the solonoid to the starter.

2. glow plugs--current project.

3. Charging system.

4. Headlights and turn signals.

5. Tachometer/Hour meter

/ Upgrading glow plugs
Willl said:
No, but when I get back to work I'll see if there are some 'extras' laying around and ship one down. Seriously.

I really don't see why it wouldn't work.

:)

Hey, I appreciate the offer. Does an intake heater look like a glowplug? Would it go in the same hole or would I need to put it further up the the pipline?

Your settings don't allow me to IM you, but could you IM me and let me know the best way to contact you?

BTW, if it is a replacement for a glow plug, it would need to be 18mm x 1.5 thread.

/ Upgrading glow plugs #33  
Air heaters are in the 'air intake path'.

My JD 790 is this way, no plugs.

/ Upgrading glow plugs #34  
I would be concerned with this someday coming apart somehow and parts getting sucked into engine. Need to install pre-filter. I know on newer cars (with fuel inj, comp. etc) a mass air flow sensor MAFS is a heated screen that is used to compute how much air is moving through intake by how much it cools screen. I guess an intake heater would be kind of like that.

/ Upgrading glow plugs #36  
srjones said:
:)

Hey, I appreciate the offer. Does an intake heater look like a glowplug? Would it go in the same hole or would I need to put it further up the the pipline?

Your settings don't allow me to IM you, but could you IM me and let me know the best way to contact you?

BTW, if it is a replacement for a glow plug, it would need to be 18mm x 1.5 thread.

We installed some intake heaters on diesels I worked on for cold weather. We had to go in the intake because the engines had no glowplugs (OK no "real" diesel debate here). There was a plug in the in the intake pipe that the heater fit into. Ours were not like a glowplug but more like a glow plug indicator it you have one. About 1/8"-3/16" heater coil that stuck in about 2 inches. If you put it any farther back or before the air filter it'll cool to much. But they work..

Ahh, a couple googles and I found one...
Air-Intake-Heater.gif

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=48