Use a Steeing Wheel Spinner ?

/ Use a Steeing Wheel Spinner ? #31  
<font color="blue">(...mow at high speed and steer with my index finger. I can whip that tractor anywhere I want with that single digit. )

I believe most of you are mowing with a 5'-6' mower on a 3-pt hitch attachment. </font>

I think that's probably it. I cut with a 62C MMM and that's why the spinner is so valuable. Anything off the rea of the tractor would make the spinner unnecessary.

/ Use a Steeing Wheel Spinner ? #32  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My JD dealer gave me one and I had intentions of using it. I noticed that if I put it say at 2 o'clock, it wouldn't stay at 2 o'clock. The steering wheel doesn't come back to the same position, after making a few turns.
)</font>

That's because on some of the JD's, like my 4100, there is no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the actual wheels. It's all hydraulic. Crank on the wheel with the engine off and see what happens.

I noticed that the wheel did not return to the same position for straight ahead and figured it out.

/ Use a Steeing Wheel Spinner ? #33  
It must have been due to the way the ps was installed /re-fit.... as the older fords used a worm gear / recirculating ball/nut from 48 and up..at least into the 60's I believe.. and pressure applied at the tires can't back up more than a bit of gear backlash from the sector arms till they bottom out on the worm gear /ball-nut assembly on the steering shaft..to the steering wheel. However.. the older 9n and 2n, 1939-1947 had a system that would transmit power up the sector arms to the steering column..

I have one on all my tractors.. saves mucho time..

Soundguy

/ Use a Steeing Wheel Spinner ? #34  
I don't think mine is ever in the exact same place but it's always there for my left hand as I mentioned ( I said 7:00-9:00 but I guess it could be 6:00-11:00). I've never found myself reaching across the wheel, or even at 12:00, to track straight ahead. Hmmmm. Something else for me to ponder laying awake at night. I will never remember to pay attention when I'm on the machine. Kinda' like asking yourself whether you cross your shoelace bows right over left, or left over right /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Use a Steeing Wheel Spinner ? #35  
<font color="blue"> That's because on some of the JD's, like my 4100, there is no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the actual wheels. It's all hydraulic. Crank on the wheel with the engine off and see what happens. </font>

My late 70's IH2500B has hydraulic steering. The wheel never comes back to the same place twice /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Use a Steeing Wheel Spinner ? #36  
Got 1 at a country Kubota (and MF) dealer, about a year after I'd purchased the tractor. Someone on TBN had mentioned it, and the idea sounded good. I like it (not chromed, cost $12.50). That said, my steering wheel does not come back to the same place every time, so the "suicide knob" is not always convenient - but, hey, the steering wheel is still there and you can such as a fall-back option.

/ Use a Steeing Wheel Spinner ? #37  
If you were to ask me what attachment I felt was the most important, it would be the spinner knob. One hand on the spinner and the other on the joy stick.
PJ

/ Use a Steeing Wheel Spinner ? #38  
the real name of these knobs is (NECKER KNOBS)
you can put your arm around your gal in the 1950 s
and drive without power sterring while kissing her!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Use a Steeing Wheel Spinner ? #39  
My Dad had one of those spinners in his '49 Ford and he liked to brag to me about shifting gears with his knee. I never knew what he was talking about until I got my first wheels and went on my first date.

/ Use a Steeing Wheel Spinner ? #40  
<font color="blue"> the real name of these knobs is (NECKER KNOBS)
you can put your arm around your gal in the 1950 s
and drive without power sterring while kissing her!!
</font>

Ernie I picked a steering wheel spinner up at my New Holland dealer just today when I was picking up filters for my TC-40D. When I threw it up on the counter the parts man there said, "Necker Knob" so evidentially you guys must be about the same age? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I had no idea what he meant and wasn't going to ask. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Course I grew up with power steering too...