Used Value vs Age

/ Used Value vs Age #81  
From what I've read, and I hope it's accurate, most of the early problems with the tier 4 emissions have been fixed, and there isn't a big deal about it any more. I would think some of the earlier machines might have taken a hit in resale value, because there were problems. Having bought a new tractor this year, I hope and pray there aren't major problems ahead.
Cars once had a lot of problems with the anti-pollution stuff, but despite ridiculous claims by people that their '67 Chevy got 50 mpg, it's a non-issue in cars today. I can say without hesitation that my new tractor is utterly devoid of any diesel smell at all, except during the one regen it's gone thru. Moving to a bigger tractor has a learning curve to it, and it's going to be awhile before I can operate it as if it were a body part like the old one. I certainly expect this tractor to outlast me, at the very least, and be a terminal purchase for me at my advanced age..

/ Used Value vs Age #82  
"We need to do all we can to slow climate change and cut emissions"

Do the Chinese, Indians, Russians, etc. feel this way too, or if just "we" do it, the problem will be solved?
The others don't give a hoot about what "we" do!
The Chinese are moving towards an electric motive system faster than the USA, where the oil companies are doing their best to prevent it.
Most tractors under 100 hp that use diesel fuel will be obsolete in ten years anyway, when it all goes electric, even in the backward US of A.
I'm just too old to wait around for it.

/ Used Value vs Age #83  
Stored, captured and held, caught.
emoji2369.png

What’s your angle?
From your post #20!
" It doesn't store the soot "

/ Used Value vs Age #85  
I know who I’m talking to!
Sounds like fun, Paul. You buying the plane tickets?
So then tell me my experiance?

Also what makes you think I should pay for your lessons? Buy your own ticket!

I was polite last time because in a bad mood I did jump the gun and word something improperly but I assure you your clue didn’t impress me as much as you think it did.

/ Used Value vs Age #86  
From your post #20!
" It doesn't store the soot "

I could see where you could misunderstand what I meant if you refused to try and understand the post I was replying to and how my words tied into it.

I was simply saying it doesn’t store the soot just to blow it out later without doing something to it.

/ Used Value vs Age #87  
So then tell me my experiance?

Also what makes you think I should pay for your lessons? Buy your own ticket!

I was polite last time because in a bad mood I did jump the gun and word something improperly but I assure you your clue didn’t impress me as much as you think it did.
I think you are VERY confused. Re-read my post. I’m agreeing with you. I’m referring to the person YOU are talking abou! NOT you!

Heres your post (#30)

This makes me laugh! (THIS is who I’m referring to, not you).
Emissions have cost us fuel mileage since day one.
No direct comparrison for tractors but every car, truck and motorcycle I own with emissions has given less mpg than a similar vehicle before.”

Here’s my post (#32) in response to your post:

“Doesnt it? I’m not 100% sure, but it sounds like the words spoken of a “faculty lounge expert”, with no real world experience. NOT YOU, what/who YOU are referring to!
From the belt driven smog pump of 1972 all the way to today’s DPFs and all the catalytic converters in between, every pollution control device reduces efficiency and increases fuel consumption. That’s just plain fact for the last 50 years.
Now do they reduce emissions? Of course they do and that’s a good thing. However, the word we are focused on is “efficiency“.”

Good grief! Get a grip! I’m agreeing with you.
Re-read #30 & #32 if you still don’t get it.

Last edited:
   / Used Value vs Age
Im amazed by people getting better fuel economy on their older vehicles than new ones. My first new pickup was a 1973 F250, good for 9 mpg on Interstate averaging 70 mph. Today my 2015 F150 will carry more, tow more, an when loaded the same way will be 21 mpg averaging the same speed.

Now it’s a different era for me. I changed career late and went back to the farm on which I grew up. But today I can’t afford the downtime we put up with in the past. So my tractors are all Tier 4. I may be wired but I kind of like my computer screen telling me I have low fuel pressure - change your filter - rather than trying to figure out why I seem to be losing power. I kind of like my auto diff lock engaging in a hard pull on a field and automatically disengaging when it senses I’m turning. And also the tractor auto dropping out of 4wd when I forget to press the button when reading to my next farm.

/ Used Value vs Age #89  
Im amazed by people getting better fuel economy on their older vehicles than new ones. My first new pickup was a 1973 F250, good for 9 mpg on Interstate averaging 70 mph. Today my 2015 F150 will carry more, tow more, an when loaded the same way will be 21 mpg averaging the same speed.

Now it’s a different era for me. I changed career late and went back to the farm on which I grew up. But today I can’t afford the downtime we put up with in the past. So my tractors are all Tier 4. I may be wired but I kind of like my computer screen telling me I have low fuel pressure - change your filter - rather than trying to figure out why I seem to be losing power. I kind of like my auto diff lock engaging in a hard pull on a field and automatically disengaging when it senses I’m turning. And also the tractor auto dropping out of 4wd when I forget to press the button when reading to my next farm.
My 22 year old Case-IH has auto lock/unlock diffs and auto 4wd. It also has maintenance reminders. My 21 yr old Heston baler has 50hr lube reminders. Blocked high pressure transmission filter? Yep got that, too.
Ain’t nothing new.
I like my gadgets and conveniences, too. No desire to go back to a Farmall M or an IH “66”, but not crazy about computers controlling everything, making repairs difficult

Last edited:
   / Used Value vs Age #90  
I think you are VERY confused. Re-read my post. I’m agreeing with you. I’m referring to the person YOU are talking abou! NOT you!

Heres your post (#30)

This makes me laugh! (THIS is who I’m referring to, not you).
Emissions have cost us fuel mileage since day one.
No direct comparrison for tractors but every car, truck and motorcycle I own with emissions has given less mpg than a similar vehicle before.”

Here’s my post (#32) in response to your post:

“Doesnt it? I’m not 100% sure, but it sounds like the words spoken of a “faculty lounge expert”, with no real world experience. NOT YOU, what/who YOU are referring to!
From the belt driven smog pump of 1972 all the way to today’s DPFs and all the catalytic converters in between, every pollution control device reduces efficiency and increases fuel consumption. That’s just plain fact for the last 50 years.
Now do they reduce emissions? Of course they do and that’s a good thing. However, the word we are focused on is “efficiency“.”

Good grief! Get a grip! I’m agreeing with you.
Re-read #30 & #32 if you still don’t get it.
Well it appears I again misread a post by you!
Guess In my old age I need to slow down and take a breath before going off half cocked!