Used Wallenstein BX42 Chipper Value?

/ Used Wallenstein BX42 Chipper Value? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
I have a Wallenstein BX42 Chipper that I'm going to be selling. Its in excellent condition. Blades have not been flipped over so lots of life in the blades still. Not sure what year but it's at least 4 years old.

What would something like that be worth? Not sure how to price it.

/ Used Wallenstein BX42 Chipper Value? #2  
Without knowing more about it, it is hard to help on the price. Is it a simple chuck and duck gravity feed model, or is it self powered, on wheels or have hydraulic feed? Does Wallenstein still sell it? Their website does not list a PTO BX42. It does list a BX36 and BX52. Take what you paid for it, and deduct 35% and keep deducting more until it sells. It does not help that there are dozens of clone BX42 units that sell for $1300-$1600 new, so that will drive the price lower that what you paid for it or what you hope it is worth. Good luck!

/ Used Wallenstein BX42 Chipper Value? #3  
So what I found (I also have a BX42 and have kept an eye on used pricing in case I sell) is that you can pretty much get what you paid for it. Prices have gone up, and it was later replaced by the BX52. People who know what they are looking for will pay top dollar for a gently used BX42.

I think Boylerman brings up a good point -- the BX42 (and Wallensteins in general) were knocked-off by Chinese manufacturers, some being sold by brand names who try to hide the Chinese origin. There may be a good chunk of buyers who are ignorant of that and might not appreciate a genuine Wallenstein. I have seen one of the knockoffs and it's pretty good, but they cut corners in quite a few places, like the bearings, hardware, and welding quality.

/ Used Wallenstein BX42 Chipper Value? #4  
I had that exact model, bought it in 2008. At that time I paid over $2400 for it including delivery. I sold it last summer for 1200. I always tell my wife it逞エ worth what somebody will pay for it. I listed it for quite a while. Had some low ball offers. The 1200 was the best I could do.

Wallenstein does not make that model anymore. And there are Chinese knock off痴 that are very low price. So you really need to find someone who will appreciate the fact that this is a Wallenstein unit.

/ Used Wallenstein BX42 Chipper Value? #5  
In 2013 I upgraded from a Wally BX42S to a Wally BX62S. The BX42S was manual feed and in excellent condition. First side of the reversible blades were still razor sharp. All I chip is Ponderosa pine. The BX42S was 2009 and the dealer gave me $1550 for it as a trade in.

As I remember - I paid around $2500 for the BX42S - brand new in 2009.

/ Used Wallenstein BX42 Chipper Value? #6  
The worth or value of an object is a very personal thing.
Like Kieth says: It’s worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.
At that point, you have to decide if it’s worth more to you,
...or if you think you can find somebody else, before that somebody else finds another one.

Test the market, or more accurately: Define the market. Set the value. The market will quietly tell you if you’re too high, and quickly tell you if you’re too low.

I don’t think there’s much harm in starting high.

/ Used Wallenstein BX42 Chipper Value? #7  
I borrowed one this summer and used it to chip brush at the SIL's place, it worked great. Ran it on my Iseki TM3160, only 15HP (possibly less depends on where your read) and it worked great. I wish you were closer I'd consider buying it, I think new it'd be over CAN$3K here..........Mike

/ Used Wallenstein BX42 Chipper Value? #8  
Can't add anything about the value, it has already been well stated above. But, when you advertise it, I would prominently include "Canadian Made" ... It might help bring in people looking for a quality product.

Doug in SW IA

/ Used Wallenstein BX42 Chipper Value? #9  
ahh, I remember it well. . .
20140622-IMG_0161.jpg

I bought it to do some clearing in the woods. Only used it for a few months then sold it for a few hundred less than I bought it for.