using a Barrel Pump ? set up, but no result

/ using a Barrel Pump ? set up, but no result #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
Hi all,

I recently bought a manually operated Barrel Pump, to drain a large drum.

I thought it was ready to go, even sealed the barrel opening to create the vacuum / siphon. The barrel is full, and temperatures are still high. Moving things to shady areas.

I haven't mastered the barrel pump yet.

Short of using a garden hose to now drain the premium gas, I'd appreciate any tips.

1625674950650.png

/ using a Barrel Pump ? set up, but no result #2  
......even sealed the barrel opening to create the vacuum / siphon
You have to let air into the barrel, only vacuum created is in the pump between the vanes and the body of the pump, atmospheric pressure is what makes it work. If the vanes are dry they may not be sealing well enough to the body of the pump, you may have to put some fluid in there to get it sealed up enough to work.
What are you trying to pump? is it too viscous maybe?
You might try pressurizing the barrell>>>>SLIGHTLY<<<< 1 psi or less to get it started, key word here being slightly.........Mike

/ using a Barrel Pump ? set up, but no result
mmikey - thanks for the reply

the plastic drum has 2 of those bung plugs. I have removed ONE only, and the pump connector does not secure ... it loosely rests on top. I think I may need a bung adaptor to properly secure the pump. The circular Hand pumping has resulted in nothing, even after 2 minutes of effort. Air could easily get in through the gaps at the opening
the barrel pump is brand new, out of the box yesterday
the metal tube is about 3 - 3.5 ft long, has 2 small holes at the bottom, I think that helps with the suction
the drum is Full
premium gas - I think that it flows fine

I'm stymied

/ using a Barrel Pump ? set up, but no result #4  
Did you try useing the other bung in the barrel and turning the crank the other way?

/ using a Barrel Pump ? set up, but no result #5  
I have 2 of those that work flawlessly. Are you turning it the correct way?

/ using a Barrel Pump ? set up, but no result
there is a directional arrow molded into the pump

I think the pump sitting loosely over the barrel hole is part of the issue

/ using a Barrel Pump ? set up, but no result #7  
The bung connection will not affect pumping, other than the inconvenience of the pump moving around. You can hold that pump with the intake submerged in a lake and pump water.

/ using a Barrel Pump ? set up, but no result #8  
Squirt a little oil up the spout. Seals in pump are dry.

/ using a Barrel Pump ? set up, but no result #9  

And make sure the barrel is not sealed tight. The pump needs atmospheric pressure to work properly.

/ using a Barrel Pump ? set up, but no result #10  
Maybe take ot out and put it upside down and dump maybe a 1/4 cup of oil into the suction and let it run into the vanes of the pump. Turn the crank while upside down to circulate the oii and reinstall.