using your tractor to pull a tree over

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #51  
Unless it was a tiny stump, he used more than half a stick! The stuff isn't that powerful.

Could have been more; this was back in the 50's and my memory has probably faded some. I recall as a kid, my Dad worked in the aggregate business and they often used dynamite. He had some that had been frozen, and he said it needed to be destroyed. He stuck the individual sticks in the sand, and let me shoot them with a rifle. Not being confined, the explosions were rather unremarkable. I know that confined, they are much more impressive.

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #52  
This a very complex system and it would be difficult to calculate. But say you have a multiple sheave pulley system. You input 100# of force on the first line. That same force is transmitted to the second line as it passes over the pulley. This happens at each change in direction. Then the magic happens. Say each sheave has 3 pulleys. Each pulley is exposed to 100# of force from each line. The sheave feels the 100# x 3 so the force is multiplied. That is how a multiple pulley system works.

Now I agree that if you put a line between the pulley and the object being lifted, that line and that line alone will feel the 300# force (same as the pulley)

Orezok explained it well. Here is a diagram that explains block and tackle (pulley system). The idea (with all simple machines) is that you keep the same work (force X distance). In this case much more distance (length) for less force. These were used a lot before we could use diesel and gas to do the work!
Block and Tackle.jpg

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #53  
I've always thought those common overhead lift diagrams were misleading for someone trying to figure out a horizontal pull. For example, in the diagram above, the top pulley does nothing but reverse the direction of pull. It does nothing to increase the pull. It isn't need for horizontal rigging, unless you have to pull opposite the direction you want the load to move.

Simply count the lines pulling the load. In diagram 3 above, there are three lines supporting the load, so it is a 3x increase in pull.

Block and Tackle.jpg

Bruce

Last edited:
   / using your tractor to pull a tree over #54  
   / using your tractor to pull a tree over #56  
today, you need an FFL for explosives, as well as a State/Local Permit!

But wait, it gets worse...in many states now you need a hoist license to even use a backhoe!

Leaving conifer stumps in the ground is pretty easy, but hardwoods have this habit of resprouting that sometimes makes pulling/grinding them a better option.

I remember one time growing up watching a bunch of guys trying to remove a 12" stump with a chain and cabover Kenworth. They had that cab way up in the air several times and stump still didn't budge. By the time they were done they'd dug out a 20' circle anyway...

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #57  
But wait, it gets worse...in many states now you need a hoist license to even use a backhoe!

Leaving conifer stumps in the ground is pretty easy, but hardwoods have this habit of resprouting that sometimes makes pulling/grinding them a better option.

I remember one time growing up watching a bunch of guys trying to remove a 12" stump with a chain and cabover Kenworth. They had that cab way up in the air several times and stump still didn't budge. By the time they were done they'd dug out a 20' circle anyway...

I’d bet a 4x4 pickup will pull as hard or harder than a semi with no trailer in dirt. There isn’t much weight over the drive tires and the highway tires have very little traction off road.

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #59  
The one with the Tahoe didn’t have the second axel locked in and the Dmax had a significant amount of weight in the bed.

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #60  
"Honey, my parents will be here in the morning. Please be a Dear and help me clean the house today."

"Of course, Dear, but first I have to remove that tree threatening our shed. I'll be right in afterwards."