Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you.

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #1  

SJay

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225 Tractor, John Deere 4x2 Gator, Husqvarna Zero Turn, John Deere Buck 650 ATV
I am in the process of buying a all aluminum utility trailer. I am looking at 6-7' by 12'. I have pretty much settled on a Aluma or a Legend. The Aluma has a all aluminum deck, rail/sides that are bout 6" tall and a bi-fold back ramp/gate. The legend has a full ramp at the back, a wood deck and rail/sides that are about 15" tall. Has having a tailer or shorter side around the trail have any advantage - taller over shorter or shorter over taller? The pictures below show the rail difference.

Alum.jpg

Legend.jpg

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #2  
I just bought a Karavan 6' x 12' utility trailer from Sam's. Nice feature is that it comes with a full rear drop down ramp, and ALL sides including front and rear, have quick disconnects to either fold down or remove for easy side loading. Powder coated, tongue jack, all LED lights and 15" tires.

I immediately replaced the tongue jack with a flip up 1K rated jack; I hate seeing pickups with a big ding right in the middle of their tailgate. I also added plenty of heavy duty D-rings for tie-down.

Trailer weighs 1K and us rated for 2K load. $1300. Plenty good for my SxS and mower. Certainly not the quality of a nice aluminum trailer, but no more than I use the smaller trailer, it definitely serves the purpose.

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #3  
I have a 6’ X 12’ with low sides and absolutely love it. A friend of mine made it in 1981. He was a pipe welder, RIP Wayne.

IMG_5895.jpg
IMG_9913.jpg

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #4  
IMHO,
I would not have a wood deck ever again. I am a maintenance free fan.
I am also not a fan of full tilt up rear ramps as they act like a parachute and reduce tongue weight when empty.
Side rail height to me doesn't matter much as I only use it for tie downs.
I would pick the Aluma I guess. NICE looking trailer too.

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #5  
My preference would be the higher sides and wood deck. Plus the dual axle and higher load capacity for a 12' long trailer. Once you have a trailer like that, you will find more things to haul with it. Or your friends my ask you to. Wood decks last long enough for me and can take a beating in the mean time. Not as slippery when wet and better for cribbing and blocking thing in place. Again, just my personal preference.

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #6  
   / Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #7  
I see that you are in NC but your tenderness cause's me to ask if Wayne hung his hat in the Tx panhandle? His creations are treasures.

No he didn't, he lived up the street from my parents in NC as long as I knew him.

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #8  
I am in the process of buying a all aluminum utility trailer. I am looking at 6-7' by 12'. I have pretty much settled on a Aluma or a Legend. The Aluma has a all aluminum deck, rail/sides that are bout 6" tall and a bi-fold back ramp/gate. The legend has a full ramp at the back, a wood deck and rail/sides that are about 15" tall. Has having a tailer or shorter side around the trail have any advantage - taller over shorter or shorter over taller? The pictures below show the rail difference.

View attachment 617032

View attachment 617033

What are you going to use it for?

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #10  
If you ever intend to put pallets on the trailer the side rails will be a problem. My trailer doesn't have any sides, but instead has stake pockets so I can put sides on with a 2x4 stake. I currently have 16" tall sides (3 - 8' long pieces out of a sheet of plywood) but have run with 4' tall on occasion. You may want to consider how you'd attach solid sides so you can haul stuff like dirt or gravel.