UTV - Trying to Decide

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #171  
I still say that if you know enough to work on your own rigs, a JDM mini truck is far handier around the place than a UTV, in most instances. Admittedly, the minitrucks do not have the ground clearance, or suspension travel of the UTVs. But, the mini truck has a far more usable bed, and if you shop around you can get dump or scissors lift/dump beds, which makes them really handy. If you look a bit harder, you can even get them with three way dump beds.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #172  
I still say that if you know enough to work on your own rigs, a JDM mini truck is far handier around the place than a UTV, in most instances. Admittedly, the minitrucks do not have the ground clearance, or suspension travel of the UTVs. But, the mini truck has a far more usable bed, and if you shop around you can get dump or scissors lift/dump beds, which makes them really handy. If you look a bit harder, you can even get them with three way dump beds.
If they were street legal in Vermont, I'd have bought one of those 3-way dumps long ago (despite the fact that they could not handle some of the trails I work on). Instead, it's a combination of tractor and SxS in the woods, usually towing a log trailer, hydraulic dump trailer, or a smaller ATV trailer with manual dump. On the road and on some of my less twisty trails, it's an antique military pickup (1951 Dodge M37).

Last edited:
   / UTV - Trying to Decide #173  
If they were street legal in VT, I'd have bought one long ago (despite the fact that they could not handle some of the trails I work on). Instead, it's a combination of tractor and SxS in the woods, usually towing a log trailer, hydraulic dump trailer, or a smaller ATV trailer with manual dump. On the road and on some of my less twisty trails it's an antique military pickup (1951 Dodge M37).
We'd agree.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #174  
I looked at the Kubota's and they were nice. Unfortunately they are very loud and slow. They still have the best cab in my opinion.

I settled on Kawi Pro-MX. It's midsized and has plenty of grunt for me. You can get a cab and heat if that's your bag.

Forest mule BW.jpg

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #175  
I'd have loved to consider a Kawasaki UTV. I was looking for smaller, so would probably have gone with the Mule SX 4x4 XC, but could not find anyone in our area with one to look at when I was shopping. (nearest dealer only stocks Kawa motorcycles, others more than an hour away had no SX models of any type in stock.)

Ended up with a lightly used Honda Pioneer 520. I've been happy with it so far. Added some chains for the rear tires, a plow, an aftermarket glove box (it needed some convenient storage spaces), and a 2" receiver hitch (from Moose - yet to be installed. I just can stand the smaller receiver hitches.)

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #176  
Look at this thing I found on FB marketplace. Talk about a a 70’s throwback!!
Cushman Trackster.
Probably pretty useless, but cool looking. 70’s lime green.

1708084231879.jpeg

1708084307946.jpeg

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #177  
Look at this thing I found on FB marketplace. Talk about a a 70’s throwback!!
Cushman Trackster.
Probably pretty useless, but cool looking. 70’s lime green.

View attachment 852558

View attachment 852559
I considered something similar when I was shopping for a UTV, but I came to the same decision. While they look like they would be fun to take for a spin, not ultra useful.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #178  
I had no idea such off road UTV type vehicles like that existed in 1973!

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #179  
   / UTV - Trying to Decide #180  

I was in American Marine in Wi and they had a very nice CF-moto 1000 with full cab and it was excellent. If all your going to do is trail ride it they should hold up great . The cab was an extra 5 k but was very well built . Worth looking at .