UTV - Trying to Decide

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #71  
Though an option that hasn't been mentioned yet might be a surplus HMMV since they tend to have very good approach/departure angles, along with good carry/towing capacities .... even though the visibility tends to be pretty bad with a top on.
Can you buy these? HMVEES? I was under the impression you could not buy them, but that could have changed.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #72  
Used to be Roxor dealers around here a few years back but they seem to have gone out of business.If you go on the Roxor webpage you cannot even build a 2021 model.
Jeep sued Roxor for being too much like a Jeep is probably why........

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #73  
When I'm not using my tractor, this is my working in the woods vehicle. It's a 1951 Dodge M37, made for the military in the Korean War. Good ground clearance, good approach & departure angles, great towing capacity, lots of "character" and less expensive than a lot of the UTVs I'm seeing out there.

Attachments

• Brutus firewood.jpg
    Brutus firewood.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 420

Last edited:
   / UTV - Trying to Decide #74  
   / UTV - Trying to Decide
Used to be Roxor dealers around here a few years back but they seem to have gone out of business.If you go on the Roxor webpage you cannot even build a 2021 model.
I thik most Mahindra dealers sell them. I think they also on a slight hiatus right now after the Chrysler FCA lawsuit. New model should be coming out soon.

That being said, looking at the few that are for sale around here, they seem to be too much $ and I think I'd be happier in a high end UTV for the price.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide
I've been watching this thread to see where it goes since every time I've looked at ATV/UTV I've come to the conclusion that buying an old pickup (especially a small one), or a larger tractor (one with a buddy/instructor seat) would seem to make more sense even though I really like the concept of a ATV/UTV.

Granted I don't have much experience on either ATVs or UTVs so I have a hard time believing the suspension would do much for all kinds of rough terrain. Just thinking that hitting wheel-sized pot-holes is going make for a rough ride no matter how good the suspension, and racing through the woods (even on a trail) at higher speeds makes me wonder how often deer or other animals would get in the way (seeing as how often they do on public roads going through wooded areas).

So while I can see the versatility of both UTVs and ATVs the best thing they seem to have going for them is the size, but the price (even used) .... different solutions for different people and situations I guess -- but don't let me derail an interesting thread as it's been interesting to watch it develop and different ideas put forth....
I like the idea of tractor, and it would be nice if I'm shelling out $25k to get one as part of the deal. It wouldn't be much for recreation though (not cottage weekends with the boys or running the trails) and too big and heavy to use around the property of the house.

We have a few old pickups on the farm, including a Ranger. It's even a little big for what I want and doesn't quite fit the bill. And you'd be surprised how much better a modern UTV handles bumps and potholes compared to a road going vehicle. It's night and day.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #77  
Can you buy these? HMVEES? I was under the impression you could not buy them, but that could have changed.
If it's been demilitarized I don't see why not (unless there's some state law prohibiting it - or it's being bought to export). I saw several being sold on a auction site focused on selling government surplus items yesterday. Biggest problem would be finding one that also doesn't require a lot of work to get running - though as cheap as they can be getting one to fix and one/two more for parts could still be a cheaper option.

The bad thing about buying things through government surplus auctions/sales is that the items (whether vehicles or anything else) is the condition is what it is, though on the plus side the items can usually be very cheap.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #78  
Dang... I totally forgot about the Roxor! When they came out I kind of wrote them off because of the price, but not that I've priced cabbed UTVs it seems like an attractive option. I'm looking them up now. Thanks
Mahindra's engines are 'old technology' I've heard?? the company itself was having financial issues. The units themselves are attractive--600+ paint colors to pick from?? I'd price them out. $till prefer the Kubota RTV (diesel), personally.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #79  
Mahindra's engines are 'old technology' I've heard?? the company itself was having financial issues. The units themselves are attractive--600+ paint colors to pick from?? I'd price them out. $till prefer the Kubota RTV (diesel), personally.
From what I've read, their diesel engines have a good reputation for reliability.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #80  
A friend of mine got one a couple years ago for $5k:

I wasn't impressed: It didn't have any more room for people and not much more for cargo than an UTV and it wouldn't go up hills that my RTV would. He sold it while later, probably due to making it road legal problems.

Attachments

• IMG_20190424_114652611_HDR (Large).jpg
    IMG_20190424_114652611_HDR (Large).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20190424_114732590_HDR (Large).jpg
    IMG_20190424_114732590_HDR (Large).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 105
Last edited: