Valve Stems on my New Tractor

/ Valve Stems on my New Tractor #11  
Looking at pictures of 4700 series they appear to have bolt on adjustable rims so should be easy enough to swap wheels side to side and keep similar wheel stance especially if tires are not filled with fluid. Agree with stems to the inside is a real pain in the arse.

/ Valve Stems on my New Tractor #12  
Really! A brand new tractor and those SOB engineers could not figure out they needed to put a valve stem on both sides of the wheel. How dare they make such a grievous error in judgement. Fire them all.

Call the dealer up and demand that the prep man come out and give you the proper amount of air. Damn the operator's manual all to he)). They should have anticipated what you wanted.

See folks, this is why you shouldn't drink and post! ;)

/ Valve Stems on my New Tractor #13  
Eddie,
Drop your pressure back down. If I run over 20 in my fronts, it’ll start bouncing wildly at higher speeds when towing weight.
15lb is about right. I run ~18.
Valve stems facing inward might offer you a little more protection working in brush.

/ Valve Stems on my New Tractor #14  
What is the reason for having the valve stems on a brand new tractor to be on the inside? Tractor is a 2022 Massey Ferguson 4707. Dealer says that it rides best with 15 pounds of air in the tires, which is probably true, but I don't like how they bulge, so I raised them to 25 in the front and 20 in the back. I still have some bulge in the back, but it's minimal.

What drives me crazy is getting the air hose to the valve stems. If I park in just the right positing, I can get to it easily enough, but if I park with the tire in the wrong spot, it's almost impossible to get the hose to it.

What am I missing or not understanding?
I am not sure but I have backed into a thicket to clear land. When pulling out a ripped a stem. I was down for a few hours. I can understand how the valve stem on the inside would give more protection.

/ Valve Stems on my New Tractor
I guess that must be the reason. I would prefer them on the outside, but I don't want to take the time to pull the tires off of the rims, swap them from side to side, and bolt them back together again. I'm mowing open areas, so there isn't a chance of damaging the valve stems. My batwing makes sure of that. It's just odd to me that they are on the inside, and if I park in the wrong spot, so difficult to get to.

/ Valve Stems on my New Tractor #16  
I'll bet tires were originally mounted backwards on the wheels, and to have the correct tread orientation they just flipped the whole wheel, rather than do it right.
This image shows a correct right rear wheel. Note valve stem.

1659110691853.png

You can also make or purchase valve stem protectors.

1659111067323.png

Last edited:
   / Valve Stems on my New Tractor #17  
Really! A brand new tractor and those SOB engineers could not figure out they needed to put a valve stem on both sides of the wheel. How dare they make such a grievous error in judgement. Fire them all.

Call the dealer up and demand that the prep man come out and give you the proper amount of air. Damn the operator's manual all to he)). They should have anticipated what you wanted.
They are on the inside to keep them from getting knocked off..somewhat protected

/ Valve Stems on my New Tractor #19  
They likely flipped the tires for a wider stance. On hills prolly good flatish land not needed. I have hills and run a rotary mower but I need a narrow stance for tilling rows for our very large garden. overall rear tire width makes a difference when tilling rows. I prefer a narrow stance to wider.

Same with pushing snow - tractor width needs to be less than the width of the pusher.

/ Valve Stems on my New Tractor #20  
Dealer says that it rides best with 15 pounds of air in the tires, which is probably true, but I don't like how they bulge, so I raised them to 25 in the front and 20 in the back.
See if you can determine the tire type. Most of my tractors have radials, but some are bias. On mine, the radials say 25 is max. I assume max only if carrying maximum load, otherwise I back off the pressure. All radials will squat - its just their design. What I do is put them on flat surface, like concrete and asphalt and check the bars. if the outside edges of the bars are not in full contact, I lower pressure. On one of the tractors, I run 8.0 to 8.5 psi on the fat rears, which gives me great traction, improved flotation over soft ground, and a smoother ride. The narrow fronts are bias, has an FEL and they need 40 psi. With a bigger tractor with an often-used FEL that might pick up trees, the fronts are 25, the max, while the rears are around 20. FWIW, I use a digital gauge to ensure accuracy, otherwise one side may ride higher than the other due to pressure differences that are not visible.