Various BoxBlade Uses

/ Various BoxBlade Uses
Rob, do you have any idea how long that would take me cranking to do that by hand?!?!

By the way, I just picked up a 7' back blade today. An older one, but still in decent shape and about 450 pounds. The previous owner has added a kick stand leg on the front (it needs some refinement, but is a good start!) and a rod on the back to stack up bar bell weights. Ran it around the back yard pulling snow and with the blade angled sharply it can pull the tractor off line pretty easy on the snow. Dern R4's.

jb

Yeah, I know all about the hand cranking. lol ...I got blisters just thinking about it.
When I decided to maintain my own roads, make new roads and trails and cut all the gutters myself, I knew I "needed" the entire top and tilt system.
That backblade sound real good. Had I not gotten the boxblade when I bought the tractor, I probably would've gotten one too. But only having the one made me use it for many things. BTW, what is "snow" hahaha. (Just kidding, we got some here one time)

/ Various BoxBlade Uses
3RRL - That is a great setup you have with the TNT - really makes the adjustments fast and easy. I could see where a setup like that would make using certain attachments more desirable. I have ditches on either side of my driveway and the hand cranking/adjusting to get the box blade or rear blade angled right gets old in a hurry and makes that job much more of a chore.

Like I told John above, that set up is definitely worth the trouble installing it. If you do it yourself, buy your own components and hose, it's quite a bit cheaper than having it done by your dealer ... like less than 1/2 price.
Did you see the gutters I am able to cut on my dirt roads?
Not only that, but going from ripping to moving dirt to smoothing is a snap with the hydraulic rippers and the TNT set up.

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #73  
Yeah - those ditches you did are impressive.

A set of rear remotes along with a hydraulic toplink just came up for sale on eBay for a Kubota BX24 or BX25. I have been thinking about how to do this mod on my BX2230 but I keep convincing myself that getting a new BX25 is a better solution as the plumbing is already in the back. But I can't seem to convince the "powers that be" that now is a good time to get a new tractor though...

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #74  
Darn, all these years of being reasonably happy with the box blade I have and now after reading this thread and looking at the photos I realize it would be a lot more useful if it was wider :( Mine is narrower than the tractor so I have to swing it over to cut gutters but swinging it over raises it back up too much.

But darn, I know a sturdy but wider box blade will be expensive :eek:

Good thread, good pictures.

Ken

/ Various BoxBlade Uses
Yeah - those ditches you did are impressive.

A set of rear remotes along with a hydraulic toplink just came up for sale on eBay for a Kubota BX24 or BX25. I have been thinking about how to do this mod on my BX2230 but I keep convincing myself that getting a new BX25 is a better solution as the plumbing is already in the back. But I can't seem to convince the "powers that be" that now is a good time to get a new tractor though...

Eightpoint,
Top and Tilt is a wonderful thing.
If you can't get the boss to buy you a new tractor, just install it on your BX2230 ... what the heck? I'm now in the process of installing Top and Tilt on my wife's 28ho Jinma 284 tractor (along with several other mods).
Go here to see the installation: New Mods to Loretta's 284 Jinma

/ Various BoxBlade Uses
Darn, all these years of being reasonably happy with the box blade I have and now after reading this thread and looking at the photos I realize it would be a lot more useful if it was wider :( Mine is narrower than the tractor so I have to swing it over to cut gutters but swinging it over raises it back up too much.

But darn, I know a sturdy but wider box blade will be expensive :eek:

Good thread, good pictures.

Ken

Hi Ken,
When I bought my boxblade I read that you want the box to be at least as wide as the rear tires. I decided to get one that was about 6" wider per side than the rears. I turned out to be a good choice and very handy. Since then I set the rears at their widest and the box still stick out about 3" per side.
I'm sure you could find a used on on Craig's List or ebay or the local paper? A little clean up and a paint job is all you need. As long as it's reasonably heavy and wide enough of course.
Rob-

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #77  
Rob the way that box blade dances I hope you never build a low rider you would make the boys down at the drive in cry. :D:D:D

Chris

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #79  
Hi Ken,
When I bought my boxblade I read that you want the box to be at least as wide as the rear tires. I decided to get one that was about 6" wider per side than the rears. I turned out to be a good choice and very handy.

Ten years ago, I had not read that about the width :( but it makes good sense. But I picked mine up used, good heavy duty 6' with cat 2 hitch, $300 IIRC. I think it was the first accessory I bought besides the brush mower.

I'll have to watch Craig's list but I doubt that any 8' heavy duty ones will turn up locally. Heck, it's probably hard even finding a new one that big although I'm sure they can order one. But I really like to look before I buy.

I notice the new Woods medium and heavy duty have a hinged back on them. Is that good or bad? Seems to me that for final smoothing, I like to tilt it up and let it ride on the back, lifting the cutting edge up a slight bit. Doesn't the hinged rear defeat that?

Ken

/ Various BoxBlade Uses #80  
Most of the hinged rears can be fastened down, if desired.