VERY VERY COLD

/ VERY VERY COLD #21  
Hi frank I use winter blend also,never ad anything else. right know o -13 wind 12-22 -7 pm.Mery Christmas. Larry

/ VERY VERY COLD #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( i have never added anti gelling to diesel, why don't i have that problem and why do others have it? )</font>

I buy my fuel at a gas station near here. They treat the diesel to work with the weather, and I never had any trouble with it.

Several years ago my CUT was in the shop, so I borrowed a "real" tractor from the in-law's farm. It was fun for a while, tooling around on that HUGE tractor. It ran OK for about an hour, then quit. It became quite a lawn ornament till the weather warmed up. At the farm, they kept two diesel tanks - one for road fuel (treated) and another for farm fuel (untreated). Guess which tank the fuel in that tractor came from. It surprised me it ran so long before stopping, but the sun was going down and it was getting colder. Must have made just enough difference when the mercury went down a few degrees............chim

/ VERY VERY COLD #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It surprised me it ran so long before stopping, but the sun was going down and it was getting colder. Must have made just enough difference when the mercury went down a few degrees............chim )</font>

The quick answer is it depends on the tractor model - where the fuel filter & lines go, and how much engine heat hits them. Good if they stay cool in summer, runs better on marginal fuel if heat hits them in winter.... No sun, perhaps you were sitting facing a different direction (wind), and if you left it idle for a while diesels lose heat at idle.....

After a few years with your beast you can get a feel for how it will behave, but no way to know on a new (to you) machine.

It's minus 3 right now, see if my beast starts & feed the cattle....

--->Paul

/ VERY VERY COLD
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It's minus 3 right now, see if my beast starts & feed the cattle....
)</font>

Tell me that ain't so. -3 at 1pm? hope it ain't comming this way /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ VERY VERY COLD #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> "Every other December we visit the father-in-law down in Daytona Beach. Coming from single digits to the fifties it feels like a heat wave to us." </font>

We hear that a lot from Winter visitors. However, I have to tell you that Daytona Beach is about 150 miles north of Vero Beach, and anything north of Vero Beach is "Up North" and waaaay too cold for us. We live about 20 miles south of Vero. Anything south of Vero is considered Tropical; it's roughly the line between plant zones 9 & 10. )</font>
My wife's sister and her husband both native Ohioans moved from Delaware. Oh to Vero Beach in 1985.
Around 1988 they moved to Port St. Lucie FL
In 1996 they moved to Gowanda NY.
Then in 2000 they moved to Perrysburg Oh near Toledo Ohio.
They still own their house in Port St. Lucie, FL It is only about 5minutes from the beach.

/ VERY VERY COLD #26  
I cannot fathom what it must be like to live in a climate like that. Personally, I think I would like it if for no other reason then what Boondox stated and that was that it gave him the oppoutunity to do some hobby type work in the shop vs the millions of outside chores. On the other hand, while we never get that cold, this last storm we had here in Northern California brought 9 feet of new snow to the Lake Tahoe area. I had the oppourtunity to move snow with my tractor in Reno where they received an unprecidented amount of snow for a family member who does snow removal. He was back logged for days and the businessess there were begging for snow removal. He was getting $180 an hour with his snow removal equipment and the businesses were not batting an eye. I would have loved to do it but am not insured and the risk was just not worth it even at that price.

/ VERY VERY COLD #27  
The cold does take some getting used to, hate to go out when it is this cold (-8 last night). However that amount of snow would be something else combined with a strong wind and twenty below. Glad when I get can my work done and go down south where 40 degrees seems cold.

At 180 per hour you could buy the insurance and be money ahead

/ VERY VERY COLD #28  
Rat.... yep, they got snow in Tahoe. My daughter (22) lives in southlake, but works up at Incline, close to the "Ponderosa". She's a snowboarder, college educated chef wanna-be, but at the bottom of the food service food chain , just getting started. She said it took her 2 hours getting to work...just navigating around all the tourons..... (cross between tourists and morons) down in south lake the other day. She was happy to see them heading back home after the holiday, and today her mid week pass on heavenly is probably getting a workout. Ah....to be young again and having an adventure.

/ VERY VERY COLD #29  
Our cabin is at midlake on the California side. Your daughter no doubt chose two opposite ends to be on. I assume she drives up the Nevada side to Incline. Our cabin inhabits the area of the Lake that recieves the greatest amount of snowfall in the Tahoe basin based on stream flows. It apparently is brought about by the Carquinez Straights in the Bay area where ocean currents power funnel the storms through. Your daughter is skiing at a nice resort. Ask her if she ever gets out to Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows (my favorite) or Kirkwood.

I ran into a young girl from New Hampshire or Vermont working at a pizza place in Tahoe City. I asked what she thought about California. She mentioned she loved the "warm" weather we have up there at Tahoe compared to home. Typical temps are in the 20's and low 30's. That still seems pretty cold to me. She also mentioned that it's not so much the cold she disliked about home, it was the mud season when everything is thawing out. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ VERY VERY COLD #30  
"At 180 per hour you could buy the insurance and be money ahead"

I have my insurance man on it as we speak. Then I need to figure out if I need chains on my R4's (probably not) need to fill my tires (easy for me to do) extra lighting, and most of all, some warm clothes.