VERY VERY COLD

/ VERY VERY COLD #41  
ahh yes, V8DAVE:

I think GUAM was the best place I've ever been (spent about 90 days there TDY in Air Force. this was durring the first destert storm war of 91. I landed in GUAM and was there for about 10 days when we were all heading for Austraila but one of the planes broke /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif unfortuneaty it was MY system (hydraulics & Flight Controls) on one of the B-1 Bombers that I was there with. (TDY out of Kansas McConnell AFB in Wichita KS) they all took off except me and two other guys stuck there for fixing the broke B1. the others landed in austraila and left 2 days later for Diago Garcia (spelling?) base in the gulf war effort. I was then still awaiting the part for my B1. the warr effort stopped shippment of my part (it was big & heavy) all parts & supplies was diverted to war effort.) it took some 45 more days (almost end of war) for me to get my part & fix my plane.! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I was stuck waiting for that part on the beach, in the water and all over the island. one supply plane landing a day and I had to meet it at ~9am. rest of the day when part didn't arrive was off duty party time! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I got so tanned I looked like I was from south america! it was a good time for sure... missed my woman back at base in KS as it was early spring/late winter. gaum was some 78 degrees and sunny daily... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

anyhow the wind in KS was bad and winter there was hardly as warm as it was in Ohio not as much snow there and no equipment to deal with the snow if it did fall... I had my rad set for -50 degrees with all new fluid and that sucker froze on way to work one morning in KS. BURRRR lots of clothing and such. worst was all the leaks (remember I was hydraulics teck on planes!) talk about PITA cold = leaks = me outside wast deep in a freezing plane wing with -20 degree hydraulic fluid running down into the arm pits and into you're underware! it would barely move at first once it got warmed a bit it ran quite freely (warmed by the arm pits and hands /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) up here in ohio, warm days in winter can sometimes be t-shirt golfing temps, (50 and sunny) in the mid day and the next morning have 20" of snow and be -10 F 2 weeks back it was -17 this past week in the 50's

today i cleaned up ice storm damage in the rain, tomarrow there is more ice comming...

anyhow got to fly

mark m
/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif