W.R. Long still recommended?

/ W.R. Long still recommended? #1  

deelowe

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota Mx5400
Looking to purchase a 3rd function soon. Is the w.r. long kit still the most recommended? I primarily need it for a grapple. The grapple will be used for clearing my properly. There's a ton of small brush (privet) that I need to clear as well as a fair bit of trees/logs. Are there any kits out there now that include diverters/flow control/feather that are clean and easy to install?

Last edited:
   / W.R. Long still recommended? #2  
I’m sure it depends on which model. I chose Kubota for both newer tractors and couldn’t be happier. Cost difference not much different than aftermarket but aftermarket didn’t use many formed hard lines. I was going to install myself but the dealer made an offer I couldn’t refuse.

The B26 is compact and the place for the valves is tucked up underneath. Needs a skid plate. M59 valves and lines are well protected. If your going to grapple then protection is important.

The M59 valves are 3x larger. 7 vs 16 gpm. So if you go aftermarket make sure you don’t restrict flow.

Last edited:
   / W.R. Long still recommended? #4  
I bought one 15 years ago, along with their grapple, for my L4330. Both are still going strong. Minor quibble at the time were some set screws were unplated so they rusted, and the switch was rated for AC, not DC. I might have replaced the set screws with stainless, and the switch has been fine.

One product warning in their instructions that I missed, if it was noted in their advertising, was that the valves are for short cycling, like your grapple; not extended cycles, like a hydraulic motor.

Good customer service when I exchanged pioneer couplers for flat face couplers.

/ W.R. Long still recommended?
Thanks guys. Anyone know if there are any options on the market now that include feathering or flow control?

/ W.R. Long still recommended? #6  
Ran my first 3rd function many years ago using a rear remote valve had good control with detents.

Ones now are solenoid control from loader handle switches. Not as gentle maybe but fast and don’t have move your hand to another valve. Bumping the switches gives OK control for grapple. You can always add restrictor orifice or flow control valves but wouldn’t just for a grapple. Engine rpm somewhat controls your flow.

/ W.R. Long still recommended?
Didn't think about engine rpm and bumping the switch. That clarifies a lot. Thanks!

/ W.R. Long still recommended? #8  
If you engage the third function while curling the bucket you will be curling and clamping at the same time and any feathering of the curling also restricts the grapple. If you use the third function valve by itself then you may need to click the switch in short bursts to get the desired closure rate. My ATI Bradco grapple bucket also had a restrictor orfice fitting on each side so you may synchronize the grapple sides by opening fully until equal and then each side clamps at the same rate until one side hits resistance and then the other continues until meeting equal resistance and then clamps with equal force. Once you learn the third function quirks it becomes very useful and most limitations of the solenoid valve are not noticed.

/ W.R. Long still recommended? #9  
WR Long was installed along with my Land Pride grapple - ten years ago. Still going strong. I suggest you modify your grill guard. Sticks, stobs & limbs do a real nasty job on radiators, grills & batteries.

IMG_0011.jpeg
IMG_0016.jpeg

/ W.R. Long still recommended? #10  
Thanks guys. Anyone know if there are any options on the market now that include feathering or flow control?
You will not need feather on a grapple. Haven't see any need in 2 years on my MX.