W. R. Long

/ W. R. Long #1  

Robbie Kinard

Tractor
Massey Ferguson Model MF1635
YOU CAN’T GO WRONG, WITH W. R. LONG!

This is not an advertisement for WR Long – just an honest editorial/review/opinion!

I’ll try to keep this as short as possible. I have a red 2013 tractor, 4x4, 35hp. Wanted to add a third function control for a grapple. The tractor brand is very well known, originally American made. Did my research on the internet and decided to go with a company that sells this kit for around $700. (I had to supply my own hoses). Their website has a short video to explain the unit and its capabilities. Ordered the kit received the next day. Measured for hoses, and had hoses made at a local hydraulics shop with all fittings. $200+. Per the instructions, I had to remove the control units that attach to the manifold block and replace with the supplied upgraded models. Had trouble, contacted the vendor and was told repeatedly it was a “plug and play” process. IT WAS NOT. After speaking with three different representatives, I explained the units had to be rewired and possibly soldered for correct fit. Once complete, the pins were backwards and would not plug into the solenoid as diagramed. When turning the pins 180 degrees, the wires were too short. After many lengthy discussions with the vendor, I told them “if the process is so simple, then just send me a second unit already rewired.” Why place this burden on the customer? Unit received, rewired, but was slightly different. Hooked everything up as per the one page instruction sheet and NOTHING. Tracing the hydraulic flow in my mind, I knew this system would not work. Many calls later with the vendor, I was informed it was not a direct fit to my existing system, but that I had to locate my “power beyond” supply and return and hook up there. They could not offer any help with my tractor brand. CALLED SEVERAL OF THE TRACTOR DEALERS (in Georgia AND North Carolina) FOR MY RED TRACTOR - WITH TWO NAMES – AND VERY LITTLE TO NO HELP! I contacted the main corporation/office in Duluth, Georgia, and was eventually told, “a lot of times the dealers are reluctant to give out too much information because they want to do the work themselves.” Finally, a young guy at one of the dealers told me to contact W. R. LONG (best advice I was given thus far). Spoke with the representative at W. R. LONG. He stated my tractor has a diverter plug that I have to purchase (really an aluminum alloy 1-1/2” x 3/8” bolt form the dealer at a cost of $106 – yes, you read that right) remove the existing plug and replace with the diverter. W. R. LONG even sent me pictures to my cell phone and email to show where the plug is located and which ports were hydraulic pump and return. I told the guy that I would buy his unit and send the one I have back to the vendor. He insisted I have everything I needed and to follow the instructions he gave me – especially since I had already routed the wires and hose, mounted the manifold block and solenoid, and replaced my joystick handle with the unit supplied by the vendor. Returned to the hydraulics store for additional hoses and fittings – another $160. Now, more than a month of aggravation, sweating, cussing, throwing, kicking and just plain old being pissed, I followed the directions of W. R. LONG and I have a third function with grapple capabilities for my well known red tractor. The red tractor company needs to step up their game. Their current business model is despicable. The vendor for my third function control did allow me to keep the first unit that wasn’t wired correctly, however, they also need to update their video, instruction guide, and offer more information for this one-size-fits-most tractors third function control. My biggest regret? I didn’t find W. R. LONG first. YOU CAN’T GO WRONG WITH W. R. LONG!

/ W. R. Long #2  
Ironically I just ordered a WR Long 3rd function kit for my 1740m today, so I'm very glad to hear I made the correct choice! I know I could buy the valve itself and piece everything together and save some money, but 5 trips to the hydraulic shop and 3 days of messing with it certainly aren't free either.

/ W. R. Long #4  
I lost a bolt that holds my hydraulic ram on my WR Long bolt on grapple, called the company and stopped by the factory during my lunch hour. The owner looked up the correct bolt size and we walked into the factory and he picked one out of a bin and handed it to me. I tried to pay him $10 for his trouble but he would not take it. I love WR Long...

/ W. R. Long #5  
I have a WR Long brush grapple and 10 bale hay grapple. They have held up great.

/ W. R. Long #6  
Sounds way to complicated for me
What kind of warranty on the electrical parts ?

it is pretty amazing how some companies get away with calling stuff plug and play when it’s definitely not.

Last edited:
   / W. R. Long #7  
I'm thinking th red tractor company is probably Massey Ferguson?
Regards to W.R. Long, I installed their 3rd function kit about a month ago, and while is works ok, it doesn't work any better than a diverter, and in fact, now that I've used it a number of times, I wish I had just bought a diverter.

What I dislike is that I was told that I will curl and clamp simultaneously, or other combinations of a loader and a grapple function as one operation. I didn't think it would do that (and my 2032R JD has decent hydraulic flow, with separate pumps for power steering and loader. But is still just a small system. The grapple does nothing until the loader stops moving, as would be the case with a diverter system, but at least with diverter, you know it's either/or, and not iffy.

/ W. R. Long #8  
Yeah, when a vendor fixes your issue knowing they are getting no sale, that's a good sign. I have a WRLong 3rd function sitting in my garage until i can get time to install it on my Kioti, glad to know it will be well-supported!

I second the request above - could you please name the vendor which had incorrect steps and made you jump through a bunch of hoops? At the very least it would help someone else DuckDuckGo'ing that vendor to discover WRLong and make an informed decision.

Last edited:
   / W. R. Long #9  
I'm thinking th red tractor company is probably Massey Ferguson?
Regards to W.R. Long, I installed their 3rd function kit about a month ago, and while is works ok, it doesn't work any better than a diverter, and in fact, now that I've used it a number of times, I wish I had just bought a diverter.

What I dislike is that I was told that I will curl and clamp simultaneously, or other combinations of a loader and a grapple function as one operation. I didn't think it would do that (and my 2032R JD has decent hydraulic flow, with separate pumps for power steering and loader. But is still just a small system. The grapple does nothing until the loader stops moving, as would be the case with a diverter system, but at least with diverter, you know it's either/or, and not iffy.
To get the grapple and bucket to work at the same time you may need to have the third function valve in front of the loader valve on your tractor.

/ W. R. Long #10  
Was the first kit specifically advertised to work with the OP's particular tractor or was it a universal kit?