Wal-Mart meat!

/ Wal-Mart meat! #31  
There is a P-W several miles from the grocery stores we usually shop but get their ads in the local fish wrap every week...

...The last time I was in the P-W it was a Sunday afternoon (out for a drive)...stopped in for a pound of coffee and by chance looked at the meats...found a package of nice and brown (aged) beef tenderloin filets...they were superb...!

BTW...there are two flavors when it comes to beef...the natural taste of the meat and the taste of the fat within...what enhances the actual taste of the meat is aging (turning brown) actually the first stages of decomposition...(Google: "dry aged beef")...What enhances the taste of fat is enough temperature to render it...
While I'm digressing...another factor is...once meat is frozen it will not "age" any further as far as taste goes...freezing kills the natural enzyme that enhances the flavor...it will still get dark but it won't get any more tender etc...

/ Wal-Mart meat! #32  
We use the 85/15 for the juicyness and because spices are soluble in fat. We also shop WM because their turnover on their meat is faster than the other grocery stores so we get fresher meat. The grade of meat seems to be the same in all the stores around here. Have to go to a special butcher shop to get the really good steaks, but they are 3x the cost as well.

/ Wal-Mart meat! #33  
My assumption is that everything in a Walmart is from China. I don't feed my dogs anything from China so I'm sure as he|| not goin' put that stuff in my mouth. :thumbdown:

We never buy food at ChinaMart and will only shop there if there is no other alternative. There is almost always an alternative.

Wallmartians... enough said.

:laughing:

/ Wal-Mart meat! #34  
I appreciate you guys not shopping at Walmart. I wouldn't want them to have the only place to shop because then the prices would go up. But for those of us who have to consider prices, I guess we'll just have to keep shopping at Walmart, and frequently for the same brands you find elsewhere.

/ Wal-Mart meat! #35  
Bird, don't you have an H.E.B. close by? Much better quality and the prices are very close to ChinaMart, and they source as much local products as they can.

/ Wal-Mart meat! #36  
A few things..If ground fresh, Gr. beef with no add on's stays red for about 24 hours.. Turning dark does not mean it's bad, smell it..I was in the meat business all my life owned 5 indep. stores we used sides of beef..Today almost everyone uses box beef. Some sell ungraded beef ( lower quality ) Walmart in my opinion is the worst run store in America..The thing is people are used to bad service now but expect way more from independents for some reason..Not bitching here we gave them much better service and much better quality.. Today most everything is pumped, I have mostly given up red meat, and pork is even worse, Hams , lunchmeat and everything you buy is pumped 20% or more I retired in the mid 80s and very little was pumped then. Today independently owned stores are mostly nonexistent, the same with service and quality..If you want good beef raise it and cut it up yourself..jmo:

/ Wal-Mart meat! #37  
W-M does not exactly hire the most gifted personnel...(heck some them can pass for walmartians themselves)...
The meat they sell is FDA inspected and abides by the 'COOL' (country of origin labeling) regulations...
The wal-mart store brands are the same as the large grocery chain store brands (name brands with branded labeling) for typically mainstream products anyway...

What I hate the most about W-M is the GD shopping carts...and the store foyers...
The flooring is always rough tile etc... (I'm sure chosen for least liability issues)...you are half way into the store when you realize the clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk...is one (usually the left front) of the effing wheels...sometimes I have to go through half a dozen or more carts to find one that does not clunk outrageously and or tries to jacknife you to the left or right about every third revolution...

/ Wal-Mart meat! #38  
We get our meat from Food Lion and from the local Buffalo Shoals IGA. Our Optimist Club buys all our meat from the IGA. We use a lot during the year running our concessions and currently the shack at camp meeting. They grind it fresh for us the day we cook. We have tried several fat percentages but like the 85/15 blend. We only cook 4 oz. burgers and hand patty two for a hamburger steak.

/ Wal-Mart meat! #39  
My situation may be atypical, but when in NC I am within 15 miles of ten supermarkets (four Food Lions, two Walmarts, an Aldi, a Bi-Lo, an Ingles, and a Publix). Their shelves are always full* and if I am not happy with an individual store, I can fire it at any time and take my business elsewhere. We should count our blessings -- we could be living in Venezuela.

Screenshot 2017-08-10 at 9.35.27 PM.png

Steve

* Well, the bread and milk shelves may be sparsely populated if there is even a hint of snow.:)

/ Wal-Mart meat! #40  
My situation may be atypical, but when in NC I am within 15 miles of ten supermarkets (four Food Lions, two Walmarts, an Aldi, a Bi-Lo, an Ingles, and a Publix). Their shelves are always full* and if I am not happy with an individual store, I can fire it at any time and take my business elsewhere. We should count our blessings -- we could be living in Venezuela.

View attachment 518212
Steve

* Well, the bread and milk shelves may be sparsely populated if there is even a hint of snow.:)

No doubt that is true...Publix has the best bread i have ever had..None around here though.