Walking Beam Trailer

/ Walking Beam Trailer #21  
The walking beam trailers are much more stable in ride than a regular trailer. I believe someone posted a link to a video demonstrating this. That does not mean you can not get into trouble. But I am having a hard time coming up with a scenario where a walking beam is worse than a regular trailer as long as you remain within the weight limits of the trailers.

Ken

/ Walking Beam Trailer #22  
I bought a MUTS with mesh wall extensions (MUTS - Multi-Use Trailer System for your ATV, Quad and 4 Wheeler) last fall and have been using it to haul (mostly) horse bedding/manure so far. I also plan on doing some work in the woods with it this summer. It hauls very nicely behind my RTV 1100 without cutting the corners excessively on turns; it hardly notices bumps in the path.
I had lobbied my wife for a hydraulic dumper, but the cost was about three times the MUTS (though with twice the rated capacity, or so). Cranking the winch on the MUTS to dump hasn't been as much of a pain as I thought it would be, even when the saturated bedding/manure is piled right up to the top of the side extensions.
The DR-Versa and T-Rex are similar so I presume they'd perform as well as the MUTS.

/ Walking Beam Trailer #23  
I bought a MUTS with mesh wall extensions (MUTS - Multi-Use Trailer System for your ATV, Quad and 4 Wheeler) last fall and have been using it to haul (mostly) horse bedding/manure so far. I also plan on doing some work in the woods with it this summer. It hauls very nicely behind my RTV 1100 without cutting the corners excessively on turns; it hardly notices bumps in the path.
I had lobbied my wife for a hydraulic dumper, but the cost was about three times the MUTS (though with twice the rated capacity, or so). Cranking the winch on the MUTS to dump hasn't been as much of a pain as I thought it would be, even when the saturated bedding/manure is piled right up to the top of the side extensions.
The DR-Versa and T-Rex are similar so I presume they'd perform as well as the MUTS.

Could you mount a 12v Winch to Do the Cranking? Deff cheaper than Hydraulics

/ Walking Beam Trailer #24  
I don't know anything about walking beam trailers or hauling logs, but what does it matter what terrain the trailer can go over if it's too rough for the ATV with minimal suspension travel to traverse?

/ Walking Beam Trailer
I don't know anything about walking beam trailers or hauling logs, but what does it matter what terrain the trailer can go over if it's too rough for the ATV with minimal suspension travel to traverse?

I'm slowly coming around to recognizing that point. In my original post I was envisioning a super-trailer that could haul more than my UTV can safely tow and could traverse terrain much more rugged than my UTV can navigate. Given that most of the riding I anticipate will be on trails or trail-like terrain, a less capable off-the-shelf trailer may be more than adequate for my actual needs.

/ Walking Beam Trailer #26  
Could you mount a 12v Winch to Do the Cranking? Deff cheaper than Hydraulics

I thought of this, too, but after a few months of using the trailer, I am pretty comfortable with hand-cranking it (somewhat to my surprise!). In a few years, when I'm in my mid-70's, I may change my mind; later conversion to electric winch is always a possibility.

/ Walking Beam Trailer #27  
   / Walking Beam Trailer #28  
I thought of this, too, but after a few months of using the trailer, I am pretty comfortable with hand-cranking it (somewhat to my surprise!). In a few years, when I'm in my mid-70's, I may change my mind; later conversion to electric winch is always a possibility.

I guess maybe i'm just accident prone....but then when you just "sit in a chair all day", not much chance of getting hurt.....I'm a Do'er and Do'ers get abused.

As a truck driver, I Hand Crank trailers up and down. Had one going up hard one time, the handle came out of gear. So now I'm cranking hard and now it's free.....my hands spun around and came up under my chin.....I woke up wondering "What the Heck just Happened"...lol...oh wait..no it wasn't LOL...lol

/ Walking Beam Trailer #29  
I looked at the "muts"trailer, and there is a deal breaker fault for me. The wheels are too close togather. When clay sticks the the wheels they will bind up and on hill tracks, will drag you to a halt. Been there didn't like that at all. The wheels need 6-8" between them to beat the increase in diameter caused by clay.
The rest how ever looks good. I would probably fit a false floor and use it to feed out hay (conventional bales), it should fit 12 in 3 layers @ 6' long. Should carry a good load of firewood to.

/ Walking Beam Trailer #30  
Are you sure you want a walking beam ? Single axle would support a ton also, with similar sized tires, and because you dont need swing travel you can maintain loading height with slightly bigger tires. It will drag less in tight corners.

Also, make it at least 2 ton if it is the only trailer you have. When you need to transport a 2 ton object, you will use what you have...