Chipper Wallenstein WOW!

/ Wallenstein WOW! #21  
The shredder hopper looks really high, is it just the angle?
I've got a Bearcat chipper shredder and thought the shredder would hardly get used.
Man was I wrong, the shredder is invaluable when felling tree's and makes short work of the tops.
Nice unit!!

Matt

/ Wallenstein WOW!
Here is a short video of me running some cedar that someone else cut. I would have made the branches a little more narrow, therefore I worked a little getting them in the shoot. Cedar is very sappy but as you can see went in without a problem. I don't have hearing protection but was only a small pile, if I was running it for longer I would have some on. Gloves/eyes are needed at all times though. I have another one on you tube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X24sPvBN3A&feature=youtu.be

/ Wallenstein WOW! #23  
Does the sap/pitch of the cedars wind up coating the blades and the guts of the chipper?

I've got hundreds of eastern red cedars to knock down. I'd love to be able to chip/shred them, but I've wondered if they would eventually cause the guts of the chipper to be a gummy non-functioning mess.

/ Wallenstein WOW!
I dont have many cedars here, just a few so I can't answer that with authority. I can tell you that they are maybe a little worse than fir or pine trees that we have tons of here, and I have run a few and have not noticed any kind of impairment to the blades by chipping/shredding evergreens. I think by running some less sappy material through it all would be well.

Does the sap/pitch of the cedars wind up coating the blades and the guts of the chipper?

I've got hundreds of eastern red cedars to knock down. I'd love to be able to chip/shred them, but I've wondered if they would eventually cause the guts of the chipper to be a gummy non-functioning mess.

/ Wallenstein WOW!
I figured I would add a few shots of the wally and the large carry all set up that I use in the FEL with a simple chain and load 3X as much, and can load it from the chute.
newwally 007.jpgnewwally 010.jpg

/ Wallenstein WOW! #26  
Nice. I never get tired of using my chipper, probably because I wanted one for such a long time and finally got around to buying one. I used to rent them and now I can take my own out of the garage any time I get a few branches together. My lot looks much better and I like using the chips to keep the weeds down and maintain paths. If I ever get another one it'll be the BXM42, in green of course. Then again I think this one is going to last forever.

dolly 4.jpg

/ Wallenstein WOW! #27  
Gus,

Can I assume that those 4x4's are bolted to the bottom of your chipper and just resting on the dolly? I've been thinking about bolting some to mine as well.

/ Wallenstein WOW! #28  
Yes, I attached them with lag bolts. I got the idea from this site last year, shortly after I bought it. I wanted to do it for a few reasons. It raises the unit a bit when it's in use, it gets the metal base off the wet ground, and it allows for a little down-travel with the 3-point hitch past the grounded position because it's elevated on the 4x4s. I had just ripped out an old deck so I ended up with some well-sealed 4x4s all ready for reuse.

I love this chipper but I admit I often wish I had their chipper/shredder because it would be much better for all the pine debris I get in my woods. This one will eat that stuff, but not as readily as the shredder hopper on the bigger unit. I just wanted a simple, small unit to start with. It seems to be a great quality, and although it's much more expensive than burning everything, I have too many uses for the chips so it was worth the investment.

/ Wallenstein WOW! #29  
I also used 4x4s to get the unit up off the ground more so the drive shaft is closer to level while operating. Also makes it easier to hook up to my quick hitch as the unit is lower than the 3pt will go. Also added a hitch ball to the back so the trailer can come along.

Attachments

• image-318555197.jpg
    image-318555197.jpg
    640.7 KB · Views: 116
  • image-3633495599.jpg
    image-3633495599.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 114
   / Wallenstein WOW! #30  
What do they sell for?

I bought my BXM32 in 2012 through Wallenstein Of California and paid $3,090, which INCLUDED shipping from the factory PLUS they had a special going and threw in an 2 replacement rotor knives. I just checked their website and the price is now $3,183 and still free shipping in the state of California. Who knows, maybe they have the same deal in your state...worth checking out. BTW, you can also pick from 6 different colors.