Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8?

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #71  
Did you try any laptops with a touch screen?

Let us know how this one and Windows 8 works for you. :thumbsup:

No, I didn't try any; priced them and couldn't see how they'd be worth more to me. Of course I can understand them being worth more to some people.
Since Windows 8 was designed for touch screens, I think without a touch screen, you will be in the group that hates Windows 8.

I like Windows 8, but it is on a touch screen computer.
Tap 20.jpg

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #72  
..... why Apple only enjoys 11% of the computer market. If they're that good, you'd think they would have the 89% share instead.

I think a lot of it is because apple will never be the low bid. What people use at work/school is what they get use to and use at home. Because of the price, the first kids computer will be a PC and the bargain hunters will not be interested either because of the price. Left are the 11%.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #73  
I agree with that thought. Is Wallyworld that best at customer service?

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #74  
Stay away from windows 8 unless you somehow wish to turn your laptop into a cell phone. It is by far the worse OP I have seen from Microsoft, and even though I have 4 computers, I am officially divorcing myself from MS on the next go around.
windows 8 is a lot of maintenance, apps that need updating every week, nothing is where it was or has been from 15 years, then you have the MS word compatibility issues... unless you are willing to foot a monthly surcharge, oh and if you enjoy looking at photos from your thumb drive of hard drive, be prepared to open one, close it, back out of the app interface, return to your computer files, shuffle back to where you left off at the last image viewed, then do it all over again.
Windows 7 was by far the best one out, but like AR15's, I should have got 15 of them years ago and resold, because they are surely the hottest ticket around if you can find it..unopened, and not a unauthorized copy! Don't even think of finding it on ebay... all boot leg versions from china!

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #75  
Since Windows 8 was designed for touch screens, I think without a touch screen, you will be in the group that hates Windows 8.
I like Windows 8, but it is on a touch screen computer.
View attachment 341603
I have a touch screen laptop, I don't recommend it, too many extra "clicks" when I move ti around or my 1 year old pushed on the back fo the screen...

Aaron Z

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #76  
   / Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #77  
I would suggest you spend a few hours on both a MacBook and a Dell and answer it for yourself. More solid frame, not as hot on your lap, quieter, thinner, solid state hard drive, faster boot up are a few things that I seriously appreciate about Apple. Not trying to pick a fight here. Like I said before, used many, many, windows products for years.

apple is not the only person to use / be able to use a solid state drive.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #78  
oh and if you enjoy looking at photos from your thumb drive of hard drive, be prepared to open one, close it, back out of the app interface, return to your computer files, shuffle back to where you left off at the last image viewed, then do it all over again.

Wow, I had to check that, as I am an avid photo buff.
You are right with your description, but..
I just took a thumb drive over with some old pics on it. I have already fixed W-8 to open on the "Desktop" view, which is similar to W-7, but no Start Menu, no shutdown, no reboot, no sleep. Alt-F4 gets you to those choices.
W-8 has already put a "Folder" icon in the task bar. Opening that you get your computer hard drives and other normal folders.
Plugging in the thumb drive makes it appear as another drive.
I opened that and got the details list as normal.
Now this may be because of "Windows Essentials" that I installed.... but I selected "Slide Show" then "Pause" then advanced the pictures back and forth with the Left/Right keys on the keyboard.
Doable for now, but will have to be overcome if 8.1 doesn't fix it.
I've seen a gizmo called "Smart 8" or something on the net that can be installed to make 8 more like 7 but won't mess with it till 8.1 is in and we see how it works.

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #79  
Ron, that sounds like a good suggestion, but unfortunately, can't do. The young fellow who answered all my questions and took the order was careful to be sure we had everything the way we wanted because he said he cannot change the order once it's placed. But he did tell me to keep all the packaging, because I have 21 days from the day I receive it to decide whether I want to keep it or send it back.

And yes, I've become "used to" Windows Live Mail, even though I've never liked it, still don't, and was very disappointed when I learned Outlook Express, which I did like, was not included in Windows 7, so I'm hoping Essentials isn't too much worse than Live Mail.

Bird,

If you are concerned about email software, and are comfortable with Outlook Express, you might want to try Mozilla Thunderbird. It is a free program and very easy to use. The newer version asks for some basic information from you and then tries to setup the email account with very little interaction from you, so you do not have to know your "POP" server, 'IMAP" server, SMTP server, etc. (of course this depends on who your email provider is). You can purchase Outlook on EBay or elsewhere, but that will cost you some dollars. Office 2007 does work just fine on Windows 8 if you use word processing and spreadsheets. I have purchased it on EBay and use it quite a bit.

As I said earlier, you do not have to use the "Metro" screen. I do everything from the desktop screen and it works just fine. Very much like Windows XP. All my Windows 8 accounts (logins) are setup as "local accounts" and not Microsoft accounts. On your first startup, it will want to setup a Microsoft account. At the bottom of the screen, will be a sentence to use "local account" instead of a Microsoft account. That is how I have this computer setup, and it works fine. If your son-in-law is going to help you, then set it up the way he feels most comfortable for helping you when it is needed. Good luck !!!

/ Want a new laptop but do I want Windows 8? #80  
they have really gotten cheap on things like Virus software which they used to give you for a year; now it is 30 days.

Norton Internet Security is included for 15 months on the laptop I've ordered. And I like it, since that's what I'm using now on the Desktop Windows 7. In fact, I currently have 194 days left on the current subscription that's good for 3 computers.

A trial of "Microsoft Office" is about the only other software on there. I use the free "Open Office " so that doesn't interest me

And I had already decided to buy Microsoft Office since they've dropped Microsoft Works that I've used for years. They have some versions now that you pay every year or every month, but the one I'm getting is one price for one computer for the life of that computer.