Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #131  
I think the main dump trailer problem is a lack of power in the pump and not so much a design flaw of the hoist. That or they’ve undersized the cylinder to make it dump faster with the pitiful flow.
I watched the tele hoist dump trailer in action and though it was like child’s play lifting a heavy load, bit yeah-not super fast. Man I could cycle my IH dump tele hoist in seconds even fully loaded. I also thought where it’s positioned is more effective at the front of the bed rather than the scissor in the middle

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #132  
I have a 2020 Iron Bull 7’x14’ 14k dump trailer, number pull. Since I also have a 5’x10’ 10k dump trailer and a flatbed, I move them around often so I prefer a bumper pull. I haul with an F350 with a 460 so weight is not an issue. My favorite is the 7x14 by far, perfect size, I can haul my 40 hp new holland in it pretty easy.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #133  
I think the main dump trailer problem is a lack of power in the pump and not so much a design flaw of the hoist. That or they’ve undersized the cylinder to make it dump faster with the pitiful flow.
My first dump trailer was a 16 ft with 2-30k rams but would only raise to a 30 deg tilt. They had not refigured the rams for the extra length so I had to have it re-engineered. The 2 that I have now are sizzor lift and I like them much better.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #134  
I watched the tele hoist dump trailer in action and though it was like child’s play lifting a heavy load, bit yeah-not super fast. Man I could cycle my IH dump tele hoist in seconds even fully loaded. I also thought where it’s positioned is more effective at the front of the bed rather than the scissor in the middle

Yea both my dump trucks go up fast. The dump trailer takes a couple minutes to make the cycle. I’d way rather have a little Honda up there instead of the electric pump. My 6500 truck will stall the engine it idle so it must have a pretty good size pump.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #135  
With a bumper pull you can also use it with your tractor , I plumbed mine with couplers so I can hook into the tractors hydraulics. it dumps considerably faster on the tractors hydraulics than electric pump. I have an H&H 16' and it's fairly easy to overload with soil, shorter would have been fine, buy the 16' was cheaper at the time.
Same reason I went bumper pull.

I can drag trailer to woods with tractor and drop it. Open doors, load logs....leave doors open.....drive home and dump without ever getting off the seat. ANd about 3x's faster than the battery. And never have to worry about battery being dead.

logs.jpg

Alot of people Pushing gooseneck. I have the 7x12 12k dump, bumper pull, a 25' 24k GN, and a 12k 22' BP at my disposal.

The bumper pulls will go ALOT of places the GN simply wont. Narrow back roads, driveways need about a 35' approach to make the swing with a GN. Bumper pulls follow the truck path ALOT better. Dont have to worry as much about the trailer cutting a driveway short and crushing someones culvert or gashing trailer tires if its a galvanized culvert.

Dont know if GN dump trailers being shorter overall if there is as much difference as there is with longer equipment trailers? But I deliver quite a bit of firewood on the above dump trailer. And I have been in a few drives that it was tight even being a BP. If I had a GN.....not sure I would have made it.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #136  
You can easily pull a GN behind a tractor

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #137  
Wanting to buy a dump trailer, I’ve wanted one for a while as it would be handy. My buddies and I could have used one many times for various things. I’m also humoring some sort of side hustle if I get one. I have a newer 3/4 ton Silverado gas truck with the 6.0 and 4:10’s out back. If I buy one I’m just going to go for one in the 14k trim.

I see a lot of guys pulling these things and nine times out of ten they’re a bumper pull. Toss a skid steer in one and unless you’ve got a one ton Dually I see a lot of these trucks with the front end reaching for the moon. Obviously they cold have loaded it a little tongue heavy ect.

I don’t have a skid steer but that’s another purchase down the road. That said I do have a 20 foot bumper pull electric tilt speedloader in 10k trim so that’s probably more ideal for hauling/loading/unloading a skid steer.

What I’m torn on is if I should go 12 or 14 foot. Should I go for the gooseneck? I’ve never pulled a gooseneck before, I get the obvious pros and cons to one. With my truck now it’s rated for 14k which I think is a stretch for it being a gas truck. Just seems if you loaded a 14k dump trailer to the max with a bumper pull that might get sketchy especially with such a short trailer.

Price wise I’m another 675$ to go gooseneck, drop in the bucket compared to the price of the trailer already. If a guy could have both bumper pull and a gooseneck that would be great but that’s not a option for now. I should also add I don’t have a gooseneck hitch in my truck so I’ll be out another 600$ or so for that.

Just need some guidance thanks in advance!
Well, it’s the weekend. I fully admit not reading the whole 14 pages....

I have a curiosity here.
Why are you going brand new trailer?
Have you decided to go GN yet, or are you still on the fence?

I used to be an OTR driver trainer, 5th & GN are so much easier on my brain and anxiety. I have seen too many BP fiascos.

And are you also looking at brand new skid steer as well?

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #138  
Wanting to buy a dump trailer, I’ve wanted one for a while as it would be handy. My buddies and I could have used one many times for various things. I’m also humoring some sort of side hustle if I get one. I have a newer 3/4 ton Silverado gas truck with the 6.0 and 4:10’s out back. If I buy one I’m just going to go for one in the 14k trim.

I see a lot of guys pulling these things and nine times out of ten they’re a bumper pull. Toss a skid steer in one and unless you’ve got a one ton Dually I see a lot of these trucks with the front end reaching for the moon. Obviously they cold have loaded it a little tongue heavy ect.

I don’t have a skid steer but that’s another purchase down the road. That said I do have a 20 foot bumper pull electric tilt speedloader in 10k trim so that’s probably more ideal for hauling/loading/unloading a skid steer.

What I’m torn on is if I should go 12 or 14 foot. Should I go for the gooseneck? I’ve never pulled a gooseneck before, I get the obvious pros and cons to one. With my truck now it’s rated for 14k which I think is a stretch for it being a gas truck. Just seems if you loaded a 14k dump trailer to the max with a bumper pull that might get sketchy especially with such a short trailer.

Price wise I’m another 675$ to go gooseneck, drop in the bucket compared to the price of the trailer already. If a guy could have both bumper pull and a gooseneck that would be great but that’s not a option for now. I should also add I don’t have a gooseneck hitch in my truck so I’ll be out another 600$ or so for that.

Just need some guidance thanks in advance!
I would go with gooseneck and a 20ft dump that has 2ft sides like 7ftx20ft with 3 7k axles! If you go higher than 2ft sides do you have a loader that can reach and dump over 4ft into center of the trailer? With 3 axles the weight is spread out more front to back less goes onto the truck but enough to not be tail heavy! If you plan to get a skid steer and pull it in dump trailer you will probably be looking for a 1 ton soon afterwards! Plus difference between 14k and 21k is not much empty so it will be how you load it! I pulled a 20ft 21k bumper behind my 3/4 ton truck it was fine just have to drive with it in mind! Now have 1ton and gooseneck dump trailer that is 8ftx22ft with 4ft sides and 26k ! Look at the empty weight of those 14ft 14k trailers and see how much dirt or rocks that actually is! On my old 21k it can have about 15k loaded into it because it weights 6k empty if the 14k trailer weights 4 to 5k that's only 10k of dirt! So for every 2 trips in one its 3 in the other! Thats at 5mpg so all the extra trips add up fast!
Hope this helps good luck in deciding! J

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #139  
Lota of guys don’t like triple 7’s because the front axle takes a beating in tight turns, but I would own one. The problem is, his setup doesn’t have the GCWR to utilize the 21k load capacity of a triple 7.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #140  
Here’s a REALLY nice dump trailer for the OP

if he overloaded it once in a while, the axles, tires and hoist can handle it. The floor is extra tough for dropping rocks into.