warm up

/ warm up #22  
Like most things in most manual, this is as clear as mud. Does this mean let it idle, do not to hard work, what exactly defines warm up?
I think it's pretty clear. Warm for this minimum time and 50% rated rpm and then go to work.

What I don't like is the inconsistency, the times in my book for a different brand are double those.

"

/ warm up #23  
There are many reasons why it could be double the amount of time. There could be inline coolers, twice the amount of fluid, etc.

/ warm up #24  
Just work it gently, without lugging it. That will warm it up better than sitting idling.

/ warm up #25  
I don't know about anyone else, but I can tell by the sound my tractor makes when the HST oil is warmed up. This past winter there were a few mornings that I was in a hurry so after starting it up I would back it out of the shed far enough to allow working the FEL to help warm up the fluid. When the oil is cold the HST whine is louder and of a different pitch than when it has warmed up. The change is also noticeable to a lesser degree if I push on the peddles without having it in gear, something else I do to help warm up the fluid when it is extremely cold outside.

This is one of the reasons that I don't particularly care to wear hearing protection and I'll probably end up paying for this in the long run, but the sounds my machine make tell me a lot about how it's running and what it needs. The sound of the whine also tells me things like when I'm pushing the machine too hard climbing a hill and I need to ease up on the peddle.

/ warm up #26  
My BIL and I were discussing this two days ago. I was at his house, he got on his LS turned the key, started it and started driving. I asked if he warmed up the glow plugs; he said it didn't seem to need it.

I always wait for the glow plug light to go out when the engine is cold. And I let it warm u for a few minutes while I gather tools, drinks, gloves, etal. I had also read somewhere (TBN prob) that engaging the rear PTO will warm up the hydraulic fluid faster so I do this in cold weather.

Maybe I'm babying it but I don't see any harm in warming it up.

/ warm up #27  
I came to the realization when its 30 degree's my hst does not warm up idling.i had my tractor at 1500 for 45 minutes while trying to figure out what i was going to use to catch the oil, when i dumped it, it was cold. I drive my tractor out 30 seconds after starting, other then the engine crackling a bit louder, i see no difference, I do get a bit more performance when warm in high with the HST though

/ warm up #28  
I'm curious how long ago that section of the owners manual was written? Modern oils leave a film that lubricates well even on a "dry" start after the engine's been sitting for months. I suspect that this overly generalized recommendation is mostly to cover the worst case scenario, i.e., engine sitting unused for a year in an unheated barn in Alaska with summer weight oil in the sump (no such thing anymore of course). 5 minutes of idling won't hurt anything, but it's seriously excessive under most conditions. The weight of the oil in the sump and ambient temperature are big factors. The lighter the oil you run and the warmer it is outside, the less warm-up time you need before the engine is fully lubricated. Unless you live somewhere where the temperature doesn't change, one set time won't cover every start.

/ warm up #29  
Just start and use. Do this with the tractor, pickup, cars all my 63 years of driving except for maybe a couple years of stupidity where I'd let them sit and warm up first.
Poster guy for the demographic. Never heard of thermal equilibrium and why it is important. Or maybe just have your post backwards - I've done that before.

Dog bless 'murca.

/ warm up #30  
Summertime no, by the time I drive out of the barn, the temp gauge is moving. Wintertime, yeas but not at base idle. I always kick them up to about 1000 rpm and let them warm up while I go in and have a cup of hot Joe.

When I shut them down, I always idle them for a few minutes to let the turbochargers cool down. Must be right, 6000 hours on one, 3500 on the other. Never had an engine issue.

I use them HARD, especially in the winter. Blowing and plowing snow makes them work and work hard.