Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #21  
I have an 80 hp 2wd full sized loader backhoe tractor and a 35hp 4x4 compact tractor. On dry dirt, the 2wd tractor does everything I could ever want out of it. I went for 2wd to save money over 4x4 and regret that decision based on what my 4x4 can do in wet conditions that my 2wd cant. If I get my pickup truck stuck in the mud on my land, I'm going to pull it out with my small tractor because eve though it has half the HP, it has twice the pulling power in wet conditions.

My neighbor has a full sized backhoe that is 4 wheel drive. It's really nice, but what really gets me is that he's out using it the day after it rains, and I'm waiting a week for it to get dry enough that I don't get stuck. Getting a backhoe stuck means tearing up the ground using the hoe stick to get it unstuck, then waiting 3 to six months for the ground to get dry enough to go back and clean up the mess. After you do this a few times, you learn it's not worthwhile going out there until it's dry enough to be productive.

I don't care what it costs, my next tractor will be 4 wheel drive. It will also have a cab, but that's a different topic.

I've never regretted paying more for something better, but I've always regretted paying less.

Eddie

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #22  
I have a 4025 4wd and very happy with it. Our rocky hilly muddy washed out gully ridden land requires 4wd. I've tried bush hogging in 2wd and can't even go up the hills. I too was going to save the money but I borrowed my in laws tractor, disengaged 4wd and soon realized that I had to spend the extra money. That being said if my place was flat and remotely resembled proper farm land 2wd would be fine.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #23  
No flame here. For those that say their 2wd does everything asked of it. I respond, it simply spun out, then they adjusted the task until the tractor could accomplish it. Anyone who truly says a 2wd FEL tractor did everything they asked of it, has not asked for much. My neighbor is a perfect example. He has a 4440 JD 2wd w/FEL. He does all his light work with it. When he needs to do some legitimate FEL work he borrows my M9540 4wd w/FEL or asks me to come and do the task for him.

The OP is willing to spend several thousand dollars. A 4wd used FEL tractor can be bought for that amount of money and will serve him well.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #24  
No flame here. For those that say their 2wd does everything asked of it. I respond, it simply spun out, then they adjusted the task until the tractor could accomplish it. Anyone who truly says a 2wd FEL tractor did everything they asked of it, has not asked for much. My neighbor is a perfect example. He has a 4440 JD 2wd w/FEL. He does all his light work with it. When he needs to do some legitimate FEL work he borrows my M9540 4wd w/FEL or asks me to come and do the task for him.

The OP is willing to spend several thousand dollars. A 4wd used FEL tractor can be bought for that amount of money and will serve him well.

I suspect that his mind is made up to purchase a 2WD anyways.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #25  
I have both 2wd and 4wd tractors. Quite simply, if I were to own only one tractor, it would not be a 2wd. Wet or dry, the 4wd will work circles around a 2wd. 4wd gives you 4 wheel braking when engaged as well.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #26  
Did the OP ever return and state what his intended uses are? Or what trans he wants?

I know that my CUT may have different weight distribution characteristics than a larger utility tractor... But for all the things I've done with mine, I probably could have only accomplished 30% of it if my tractor was only 2wd.

OP, if you can extend your budget to around $20k ... You can get a NEW 40'ish HP 4x4 loader tractor.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #27  
True if that were the case bit I doubt there is that big of gap. I also would steer away from the gear drive like that mahindra has. An hst 30hp model will out perform it with loader work. I would hate to go back to the days of shifting 100 times to move a pile of dirt.

It is the case. and the gear transmissions are near bullet proof... a lot less to go wrong with them and is why they are still on the market today... everything above is just to be a handicap or make things easier... but is easier actually better...

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #28  
but is easier actually better...

Yup it is!! Especially when the op is working and is saying that he doesn't have time to do a lot of shopping. Implying that he will not have a lot of spare time for tractor time either.

Yes gear transmissions are bullet proof, but so are HST's.

I bought a loader for my original 955 thinking that I would just use it once in a while. I ended up doing a lot of custom work with it and eventually the loader paid for itself. If you are going to be doing a fair bit of loader work then I think if you can at all afford it then HST and 4x4 should be high on the list of priorities.

Another short story to prove a point. I make my living as a mechanic. The neighbour brought me his gas powered yard pump to fix. I got it running but it really needed to be replaced. My parting words were to the effect that if he bought an easy starting Honda then once his wife figured it out he probably wouldn't have to go and start the pump to water the yard grass. His wife would just go and do it on her own. A few month's later he laughingly told me I was right. He doesn't need to go start the pump any more. My point being that if you buy a tractor that is easy to operate just maybe your wife will grab it to go and do those small jobs that she wants done on her own time instead of waiting for you to get it done. Just a thought!

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #29  
The OP said that he wants to pay cash, which I understand completely. That is how I am with most things, I'm self employed and the idea of having to make payments and never knowing if I have a job six months from now always makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm getting better at it and actually financed a new truck two years ago. I'm paying double on the note and once it's paid off, I'm going to buy a cab tractor. It's going to be expensive, and it's going to hurt to make those payments every month, but it's what I want and I feel it will be worth it for my long term enjoyment of my land.

My suggestion to the OP is to take a step back and look at what the dealers in your area are offering for a brand new tractor. If you put half down, your monthly payment should be fairly small. You can either pay it off quickly, or take advantage of the extremely low interest rates most of them are charging and save the rest of your cash for something else. I know guys who say they can make more off of keeping their cash invested and paying monthly payments are zero or an extremely low rate then if they spent the cash to buy it outright. I'm not positive this is 100 percent accurate, but I do believe that there is some merit to the argument.

Buying used is always a gamble. Even if it's been taken great care of, it's been used in rough conditions and whatever is prone to fail is that much closer to failure. Buying new means that you know everything that has happened to it and you can take steps to ensure it will run and remain like new, or abuse the heck out of it. It's your choice :)

I've done both, and every experience with used has resulting in fixing stuff that I wouldn't be fixing if I had bought new.

Eddie

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #30  
I know guys who say they can make more off of keeping their cash invested and paying monthly payments are zero or an extremely low rate then if they spent the cash to buy it outright.

this is true.

I have a mortgage and could pay it off but don't as my invested money makes more than I pay in mortgage interest, and I can deduct the mortgage.

Sometimes taking out mortgage and using the money to buy something like a tractor can be the cheapest way to go.

My tractor...... I paid cash....seemed the best thing to do at the time.