Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #41  
I think we've muddied the waters so much in this thread that the OP has abandoned us.

Don't blame him.

When ya got rock solid members saying in the same post that they pay cash and that the OP should look at financing, he probably fled.

There is NO SUCH THING as 0% financing. Somewhere you paid for it. It's a great ploy though for the manufacturers, buyers eat it up like sugar. :)

My guess is he asked the question to get support for a purchase that he is already committed to make. He isn't interested in other ideas or suggestions, he probably knows he isn't buying what he really wants, but is hoping others will support him enough to feel good about it

Eddie

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #42  
If he has already made the purchase may I be the first to congratulate him.

This could be the start of an exciting tractor adventure for the OP and I wish him all the best.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #43  
My guess is he asked the question to get support for a purchase that he is already committed to make. He isn't interested in other ideas or suggestions, he probably knows he isn't buying what he really wants, but is hoping others will support him enough to feel good about it

Eddie

And that my friend is probably right on target. :)

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go.
Based on the overwhelming nudges/shoves towards 4WD, I ended up going with a used John Deere 2155 4WD with FEL and the 8x4 TSS transmission. It's relatively low hours and in great shape. It's way more tractor than the Mahindra I was looking at. Although not new, I think I will get more out of it.

Thanks for all of the advice.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go.
And that my friend is probably right on target. :)

Nope... Not at all. I've just been busy tractor shopping and building sheep fence. I went with a 4WD JD. I wouldn't have asked the question if I was certain about the potential purchase. I wasn't looking for a pat on the back. Just advice through experience.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #46  
Based on the overwhelming nudges/shoves towards 4WD, I ended up going with a used John Deere 2155 4WD with FEL and the 8x4 TSS transmission. It's relatively low hours and in great shape. It's way more tractor than the Mahindra I was looking at. Although not new, I think I will get more out of it.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Congratulations! Enjoy the tractor.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #47  
So you upped your budget?

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #48  
I want to pay cash for a tractor with a loader. My wife and I have no interest in accruing more debt and have the cash to spend about 17k. I was originally looking at used 4wd tractors in the 40hp range with loaders, but once I saw a 4025 up close and realized how affordable they were with a loader it has made me change my mind. Most 40hp tractors with loaders with 4wd that I have seen have 1500-2000 hours on them, the tires are half gone, etc., and they still go for 13-18k. While at a local Mahindra dealer just browsing, I realized that for just about the same price ($16,400 is as low as the dealer can/will go) I can get a brand new 4025 with the loader. Now obviously I would lose the 4wd, but the 5 year warranty and having everything brand new seems pretty alluring to me. The lift strength and reach of the ML 233 on the 4025 is impressive too compared to the competition.

My day job leaves me little time to get anything done, and I'm tired of always having to spend my time tweaking on the old Ford to keep it going (although I do love it). What are your thoughts on the brand new 4025 w/loader 2wd vs. a used 40hp 4wd w/loader (various brands) for the same price?
If you plan to do much loader work, go with a smaller 4 WD version or go with a used tractor. A well maintained 4WD compact with 1000+ hours should still be in good to excellent shape.
A 2 WD tractor with FEL is pretty useless without at least 1000 pounds of ballast on the rear. Recently I broke the front drive shaft on my 70 HP tractor and with the FEL on it and empty, it wouldn't climb the ramp on the trailer on flat ground with nothing on the 3 PH. I had to relocate the trailer to a hillside so the ramps were flat in order to load it for a trip to the shop.

My advice, avoid a 2 WD compact tractor with FEL like it was plague invested. Shop for a 4 WD that is in your price range.

Folks who claim that they run 2 WD tractors with FEL and no problem are likely talking about old iron tractors with more than double the weight per horse power of todays compact tractors. Even then, they had to have lots of wheel weights and 3 PH counter weight to be anywhere near efficient as a compact tractor of today.

Note: even with 4 wd compact tractor, you will still need some counterweight on the 3 PH. This is not for traction but to relieve some of the weight from the front axle as they wont stand up to constantly heavy loading in the FEL without some type of failure.

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #49  
If you plan to do much loader work, go with a smaller 4 WD version or go with a used tractor. A well maintained 4WD compact with 1000+ hours should still be in good to excellent shape.
A 2 WD tractor with FEL is pretty useless without at least 1000 pounds of ballast on the rear. Recently I broke the front drive shaft on my 70 HP tractor and with the FEL on it and empty, it wouldn't climb the ramp on the trailer on flat ground with nothing on the 3 PH. I had to relocate the trailer to a hillside so the ramps were flat in order to load it for a trip to the shop.

My advice, avoid a 2 WD compact tractor with FEL like it was plague invested. Shop for a 4 WD that is in your price range.

Folks who claim that they run 2 WD tractors with FEL and no problem are likely talking about old iron tractors with more than double the weight per horse power of todays compact tractors. Even then, they had to have lots of wheel weights and 3 PH counter weight to be anywhere near efficient as a compact tractor of today.

Note: even with 4 wd compact tractor, you will still need some counterweight on the 3 PH. This is not for traction but to relieve some of the weight from the front axle as they wont stand up to constantly heavy loading in the FEL without some type of failure.

I think you may have missed where he took TBN advice and purchased a used JD 2155 with FEL...

Sounds like it should work out well with a JD 4x4 55 hp and about 6500 lbs. :thumbsup:

/ Was going to buy a used 4wd, but think a new 4025 2wd may be the way to go. #50  
I think he made the correct decision. I hope he shares a pic or two of it and he has that happy expression on his face during the photo shoot.
Congrats and best wishes for you and the new used tractor.