Wasted heat

/ Wasted heat #1  

BrokenTrack

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractors, Skidders, Bulldozers, Forestry Equipment
The other day we lost our power, but the kids did not even notice because I hooked up my PTO Generator to my Tractor, and made power that way. But as I checked on my tractor, the engine and generator were pretty warm after running for 18 hours...not dangerously hot, but warm.

Well my home is radiant floor heated, utilizing the two loop system with metering valve on a PLC. It is pretty simple but efficient, mostly because as long as the main boiler loop is between 100-212 degrees, I have a warm home. I built my heating system this way so that no matter what I want to heat with, propane, coal, firewood, solar, geothermal, compost heat, etc, it can heat my home.

So it got me to thinking, I have a couple of liquid cooled diesel engines kicking around, what happens if I put one of these engines on my PTO Generator and then plumbed the cooling lines to be circulated through my main boiler loop? I could conceivable produce enough power to power my home, and heat my house at the same time. This would be no different then a spit swapper on a tractor, and they obviously work.

In doing the math, it would seem to be expensive at first, me saving myself about $3800 in costs for heat and electricity, but consuming about $5400 in fuel. BUT...my generator produces 20 KW no matter what my house consumes, so with net-metering, I could kick extra power on the grid. At 16 cents per KW, I would not make a lot of money, but I would make some. That is I would make more money then I consume in fuel.

IF nothing else, being hooked up in spit-swapper fashion, when my generator was shut off, the propane boiler (or whatever is heating my home) would push the warm water back through my engine, and keep it constantly between 100-212 degrees so that it would also start no matter how cold it was outside.

I cannot see why this would not work.

/ Wasted heat #2  
ALL the menonites running Diesel and NG generators heat their slabs with the waste heat. You won't even ever see a radiator. I would install Murphy shut down on the tractor before considering such a more invested approach to a PTO set.

/ Wasted heat #3  
First off I bet your utility wouldn't take the power. They have to take solar but I bet they wouldn't take the power from a gen set. Also you engine is going to be working much harder if the gen set is making full power, using a lot more fuel. I'm guessing when its all said and done its a losing plan. You are trying to go off grid it sounds like and the only time I think that pays is when hooking up to the grid is really expensive.

/ Wasted heat
ALL the menonites running Diesel and NG generators heat their slabs with the waste heat. You won't even ever see a radiator. I would install Murphy shut down on the tractor before considering such a more invested approach to a PTO set.

I got a Reefer Diesel that might work well, they are only 35 hp and sip fuel, I believe only turning 1800 rpm. They are designed to run without a lot of human interaction too.

I got another engine too, but its 131 hp which is kind of big.

/ Wasted heat #5  
The other day we lost our power, but the kids did not even notice because I hooked up my PTO Generator to my Tractor, and made power that way. But as I checked on my tractor, the engine and generator were pretty warm after running for 18 hours...not dangerously hot, but warm.

In doing the math, it would seem to be expensive at first, me saving myself about $3800 in costs for heat and electricity, but consuming about $5400 in fuel. BUT...my generator produces 20 KW no matter what my house consumes, so with net-metering, I could kick extra power on the grid. At 16 cents per KW, I would not make a lot of money, but I would make some. That is I would make more money then I consume in fuel.

I cannot see why this would not work.

Your gen set only produces as much power as is consumed. And the prime mover supplies all of it, plus some more to accommodate loss.

/ Wasted heat #6  
The more power you pull from the generator the more fuel it’ll burn. If my math is right that’s like $3.2 per hour in power sales. How much diesel is it going to burn under full load? Probably more than $3 worth. How long is the generator and engine going to last under full load? A 35 hp diesel is probably going to make more heat than your house requires working hard continues. Are you going to shut it off when it’s too warm inside?

/ Wasted heat #7  

How do they cool them in the summer if there isn’t a radiator?

/ Wasted heat #8  
Well, I have seen a hundred because I always like to see them. I guess, having the doors open in the summer gets rid of the heat. Just like I found out with the Rad inside the cab of my Kubota Loader, the heat in summer is not oppressive, and I'm one that can't take heat! I'm guessing, like they say, it's a "dry" heat. lol

DSC01956.JPG

One of the larger NG sets in use.

/ Wasted heat #9  
I'll go back to what I said earlier, I'm not for certain, but I bet they won't take the power. So you can think about it all you want but if they won't buy the power back, it doesn't do any good.

/ Wasted heat #10  
Why would you want to make power at 75 cents a KWH and sell it for 25? Just making up numbers but I'm guessing you would find that.