Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results.

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #21  

PoppaMike

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XJ2025H Kubota B7100 HST Exmark Lazer zero turn
I picked up several packages of “no-name” little weenies and two Hillshire Farms smoked sausage to try your recipe. I did the eggs last week, one more week before I crack them open!
Great! I hope you like them. I just finished off a jar of eggs and smokies, now got to make some more!

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #22  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
All this talk about "water glass" really confuses me. Back in the 60's I worked for a company that did repair of large cast iron components including diesel engine heads as well as transmission components etc. We used a liquid called "water glass" as a glue/sealer when installing repairs that had to bond and/or seal against coolant leakage. So my question is whether there is any relation between the two "water glasses"? Anyone have a clue?

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #23  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Maybe they meant water "glazed"?

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #24  

cqaigy2

Tractor
PT 422
All this talk about "water glass" really confuses me. Back in the 60's I worked for a company that did repair of large cast iron components including diesel engine heads as well as transmission components etc. We used a liquid called "water glass" as a glue/sealer when installing repairs that had to bond and/or seal against coolant leakage. So my question is whether there is any relation between the two "water glasses"? Anyone have a clue?
I had the same confusion, back in the day, water glass was sodium silicate, i think it was. Used like you indicate and also for sealing potable concrete water tanks.

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results.
OP
K

KilroyJC

Gold Member
Tractor
1962 Case 430, 1995 Craftsman Yard Tractor/mower, 1949 South Bend 9A Lathe
That is the stuff used during Obama’s “Cash For Clunkers” to permanently ruin perfectly good engines.

in this usage, it refers to either pickling like (hydrated lime) or, less often, isinglass (fish bladder extract).

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results. #26  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015

It sounds like the water glass for sealing eggs and sealing mechanical components is the same thing.

/ Water-glassed eggs (pickling lime) and hard-boiling… my results.
OP
K

KilroyJC

Gold Member
Tractor
1962 Case 430, 1995 Craftsman Yard Tractor/mower, 1949 South Bend 9A Lathe
And now a batch of eggs with little snausages:

Attachments

• 8438405C-4D94-4470-90CD-49D74B01F879.jpeg
    8438405C-4D94-4470-90CD-49D74B01F879.jpeg
    755.3 KB · Views: 5